MCMBA: Rouge Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

MCMBA: Rouge Park

Postby Todd Scott » March 24th, 2006, 5:17 pm

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Rouge Park
Last edited by Todd Scott on January 4th, 2007, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Scott

Re: MCMBA: Rouge Park

Postby c0nsumer » August 16th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Older discussion about Rouge Park has been split off into a locked archive thread that can be found here.

Please continue to use this thread for ongoing conditions and comment discussions about Rouge Park.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Loren » August 16th, 2012, 2:00 pm

There's been a lot of great work this summer by the SCA group that is just wrapping up for the year. Hopefully, one of the TCs will post up a summary sometime soon!
Loren

Postby chris_f » August 16th, 2012, 5:57 pm

The Rouge Park Trail is ready for riding! The Rouge Park Trail is a beginner to intermediate singletrack trail in the City of Detroit's Rouge Park in the Warrendale neighborhood. Close to Dearborn, Redford, Hines Drive, the Rouge Gateway Trail, Eliza Howell Park, and more.

There is a complete clockwise loop on the block bounded by Tireman, Outer Drive, Joy Rd and Spinoza, a little less than 3 miles currently. New arrow signs indicate where to keep following the trail in open areas and intersections.

Open parking is available along Outer Drive. The Trailhead is in the southwest corner of the block, or in other words the northeast corner of Tireman and Outer Drive. There is a brand new kiosk which will soon hold maps, fliers and other community information.

Starting at the trailhead, the trail proceeds clockwise: heading north parallel to Outer Drive with some switchbacks. Near the corner where Outer Drive crosses over Joy Rd, the trail swoops down and heads east towards the river. It exits the forest onto the sidewalk on Joy Rd. Take Joy Rd. east on the bridge over the river, and then jump back into the woods. The trail winds through the forest some more before briefly jumping out into some open space across from the aero-modelers' field. The trail then winds south following the ridgeline before exiting onto the sidewalk where Spinoza meets Tireman. Follow the sidewalk west on Tireman and jump back into the trail after crossing the bridge over the river. Finish the loop and exit back to trailhead.

More details to come including maps, trail days, and recommended additional routes in the area.
chris_f

Postby chris_f » August 16th, 2012, 6:11 pm

We'll attempt to keep this thread about trail conditions. For discussions about future planning, trail days and more, please see:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=112290&start=999999
chris_f

Postby Wiltr0n » April 3rd, 2013, 7:41 am

I checked out Rouge yesterday because it's the closest to my house and I was wary of mixed condition reports at other places. Most of the trail was tacky to dry (except for a short stretch on the southwest portion of the course). There were also three trees down along the northwest stretch.

I have to say that I had a pretty good time! Although it was hard not to: it was officially my first MTB ride on single-track :) (Recent convert roadie)

Happy spring everyone.
Wiltr0n

Postby chris_f » April 8th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Thanks for the update. Was hoping to ride this weekend before the rain this week. We'll try to get those trees taken care of soon, I heard the same from some hikers who live in the area. Welcome to the forum and mountain biking! Hope to see you on the trail soon.
chris_f

Postby JoeModz » April 9th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Post of first!

A buddy and I rode the Rouge Park trail on Sunday (4/7/2013) I can confirm the downed trees, had to stop and climb over them. Had a blast otherwise!
This was our first time riding... ever, first MTB, first time there, first trail, can't wait to do it again.

Will say us being utter noobs to the sport and the locations we did get lost 3 times, a few times we just had to keep going until the trail picked back up, but crossing the bridge on Joy we entered too soon, then again in the clearing we lost the path, then right at the end the trail appeared to go down a big hill then into nothing. After that I suffered a puncture in my front tube :( Luckily we were done and headed back towards Tireman.
JoeModz

Postby Wiltr0n » April 10th, 2013, 9:04 am

Glad you got some good riding in before you flatted out.

I too had some difficulty following the trail because it was so covered in leaves. I lost it at the bottom of the switchbacks on the northwest corner, but was able to pick things up from the signs in the meadow at the northeast corner.

I'd be happy to help out if there's a trail day coming up.
Wiltr0n

Postby chris_f » April 10th, 2013, 12:47 pm

JoeModz, welcome to the forum, the trail and MTB riding!
Sorry to hear about your flat. :( We're hoping to have a few more arrows in some of those ambiguous spots to make it clearer, although the leaves down from the winter can make it harder to see.

Wiltr0n, thanks: Rouge Park Appreciation Day (organized by our partner stakeholders the Friends of Rouge Park) in Sunday, April 27. Same day as the Maybury Trail Day, unfortunately, but we'll plan to have something organized that day. It could be trail work, but it could also be helping with some other projects in the park, depending on what's needed. But we'll also have some trail work days in the spring.
chris_f

Postby chris_f » April 10th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Also, the trail is on Facebook. Ride, like and share!
chris_f

Postby Wiltr0n » April 10th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Chris: Cool, I'll make a note on my calendar and keep my eyes out for updates.
Wiltr0n

Postby dexner » May 1st, 2013, 12:50 pm

Has anybody rode this trail lately? With the weather breaking here and the clean up effort on April 27th, I'm hoping there is some feedback before I head out there...
dexner

Postby Wiltr0n » May 1st, 2013, 12:58 pm

I tried to ride Rouge last Tuesday (4/23) and it was pretty muddy. I ended up cutting off the trail and riding some roads. Seems like it's taking a while to dry up.

I also rode Hines drive yesterday (within a mile of Rouge), and found that the ground was still pretty moist.

My SWAG is that it's a 50/50 chance. Definitely post an update if you end up going out.
Wiltr0n

Postby Zach_T » July 4th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Just rode for the first time. Trail was a little damp, but I had no trouble controlling the bike. It's definitely in need of some maintenance after the recent storms. Tore up my arm on a thorn bush and there's a few small downed trees. I met a fellow mtb'er and she said there was a dead possum on the trail. I didn't see it so I assume she moved it off the trail(or rode a different section). It's a nice trail for a beginner like myself. I'll be returning for sure once it gets cleaned up a bit. If I have time I may head out this weekend to help clear it up a bit =)

Happy 4th!
Zach_T

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments