SOLD! 2011 Specialized Epic Comp Large ($1500)

Where individuals (non-commercial sellers) can buy or sell stuff.

SOLD! 2011 Specialized Epic Comp Large ($1500)

Postby UselessPickles » December 26th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Asking: $1800 $1650 $1500 (no trades)

I'm selling my 2011 Specialized Epic Comp to help pay for a new bike. This is the 26 inch wheel version with a large 19 inch frame. It was purchased brand new by me in April, 2012. It has about 250 miles, or 50 hours, of use on local single track trails, such as Lakeshore Park (Novi Tree Farm), Stony Creek, Pontiac Lake and Maybury. It's in very good condition with only minor cosmetic flaws resulting from enjoying, but not abusing, the bike. The bike has been recently thoroughly cleaned/serviced (continue reading for more details) and is ready for another season of riding.

NOTE: pedals not included; they're crappy resin test-ride pedals, so you don't want them anyway ;)
Many more pictures to come after all the boring words.

Please refer to the Specialized website for official specs: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2011/epic/epiccomp#specs

I have made the following changes to the bike:
  • Shimano Deore M596 brakes. One of the top-rated brakes by Bike Radar: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/review-shimano-m596-deore-brake-12-46008
  • Avid G3 Clean Sweep rotors (180mm front, 160mm rear)
  • KCNC pulley wheels on rear derailleur (one red, one black)
  • Removed the travel spacer from the fork to extend it to its full 120mm of travel. The bike now has the same travel/geometry as the Epic Evo. I would be willing to convert the fork back to 100mm, or even 80mm, travel for you. I found the 120mm travel to make the bike a bit more "fun" and a bit less "racy"

Typical maintenance has been performed throughout the year, such as wiping down the fork stanchions and shock shaft at the end of each day of riding, occasional full-bike washings, occasional complete degreasing and re-lubing of the chain.

Over the past couple weeks, the bike has been completely disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled, including:
  • All components removed and washed, using degreaser and small brushes where appropriate.
  • Cleaned/re-greased headset bearings, bottom bracket bearings, and suspension pivot bearings.
  • Performed lower leg and air spring service on the fork. New dust seals and foam rings installed.
  • Performed air sleeve service on the rear shock.
  • Both wheels trued.
  • Rear derailleur hanger confirmed to be straight/aligned.

Now that you've suffered through the boring words, I will reward you with many pictures. Please contact me if you are interested in any additional specific photos or explanation of the condition of any parts. Better yet, arrange to come see the bike in person.

Here are some close-ups of the worst cosmetic flaws

Last edited by UselessPickles on May 9th, 2013, 7:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
UselessPickles

Re: FS: 2011 Specialized Epic Comp Large

Postby UselessPickles » December 29th, 2012, 4:45 pm

*bump*

Also some clarification on the cosmetic damage: The small scrape on the end of the fork lowers is the deepest scrape anywhere on the bike. That was a zero-speed drop (low impact) onto a rock on the side of the trail when I got stuck on a slippery muddy steep uphill section, and I fell down with the bike just by attempting to get off the bike to walk up. The rest of the cosmetic damage is just surface wear (cable rub on frame, foot rub on cranks), scuffs and shallow scratches on the clear coat. No dents, and no other deep scrapes.
UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » January 2nd, 2013, 12:30 pm

New Years price drop!

Now asking for $1700. Don't be afraid to ask questions, arrange to see the bike in person, or make an offer. I won't be offended by any offers. The worst that can happen is I will say, "no, thanks."
UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » January 7th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Bueller?

Bueller?

I plan to hold the asking price through the winter. If I get no interest by the end of winter, it'll be going up on ebay to take advantage of spring fever and bidding psychology. I'd rather not lose money to ebay fees, paypal fees and shipping, so come check out the bike and make an offer!
UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » January 14th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Weekly bump!

Got a question about the bike? Ask!

Think you might like it, but don't want to gamble the cash without trying the bike first? Come ride it around my yard, over the roots, through the ditch, off the side of my deck. Confused about how the rear "brain" shock works? Come see for yourself and dispel the rumors and mis-understandings of the internet.

If you love the efficiency of a hard-tail, but want some of the added comfort/control of rear suspension, then you'll love the rear "brain" shock. If you've already decided that the brain sucks because of stuff you read about it a couple years ago (or even recently), then you should know that the brain has gone through a couple major re-designs. This is the latest major design that closes one of the paths through the compression circuit as soon as the shock starts rebounding, so it firms up immediately after soaking up each bump individually. Older versions would stay "open" for a period of time after a bump (longer time after bigger bumps), which was unpopular. Out-dated info has a way of lingering around on the internet, so what you've read about the brain on forums might be wrong.

Are you ashamed of the "lowly" Deore brakes I put on the bike? The latest Deore brakes are one of the top rated brakes. The Avid Elixir R that they replaced are technically "higher end" or "more expensive" brakes, but they were notorious for bad factory bleeds, getting air in the system regularly and requiring bleeds often, as well as being difficult to bleed well (The new 2012+ Avid Elixir 7, however, solved all the problems and is a great brake).

Do you think there's something suspicious looking in one of the photos (potential damage, signs of abuse, etc)? Ask about it and I'll provide more detailed photos and/or description for clarification. Or you could just come look at it :)
UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » January 19th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Let's try a weekend bump this time...
UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » January 25th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Bump!

Much like my bumps in this thread, the bumps on the trail will stop irritating you if you buy this bike :)
UselessPickles

Postby trevrev97 » January 26th, 2013, 10:43 am

Unfortunately trying to sell a bike on this site for what it is worth is near impossible to do, most people will either low ball you or do some stupid trade. If you are willing to ship try the MTBR classifieds I have done well selling bikes for what they are worth on that site, it is a small $2 fee to list but it gets a load more or good exposure. Good luck with the sale I think it is worth every penny of what you are asking.
trevrev97

Postby UselessPickles » January 26th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Thanks for the tip, and also for the confirmation that my asking price isn't ridiculous.

The same bike with a bit lower mileage and fewer cosmetic blemishes (but not completely overhauled like mine) sold on EBay a few weeks ago for just over $1900. Just the fork and shock service that I did would probably cost upwards of $200 at a shop, complete bike/drivetrain cleanings cost around $100, and then there's the suspension pivot service on top of that (don't know how much shops charge for that). These are all things that most used bikes for sale have probably never had done, so I thought my asking price was quite generous.

I splurged for a bold and highlighted ad on MTBR, so here's hoping that my $6 investment pays off :)
UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » January 31st, 2013, 8:18 am

Bump!
UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » February 6th, 2013, 2:29 pm

UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » February 14th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Valentine's Day BUMP

UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » February 22nd, 2013, 5:28 pm

UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » March 13th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Bump for upcoming warmer weather. Schedule your test ride today!
UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » March 30th, 2013, 9:59 am

Easter weekend bump!
UselessPickles

Next

Return to Classified Ads