NMMBA: Midland City Forest

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Northeast: Midland City Forest

Postby c0nsumer » May 31st, 2011, 8:07 am

muttonmark wrote:Glad to be of service, Steve. Hope you enjoyed the trails here. Like I said while we were on the trail, there is not much by way of steep steady climbs, but a pretty good system for someone new, like me, to develop some riding skills.

Thanks for showing me around, and glad to see you join the Forum. It was definitely fun. Just a few sketchy things, but I'm sure those are being worked on.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » June 20th, 2011, 9:03 am

Ended up out there again yesterday. Trail is much drier, and it seems that many of the previously questionable things have been fixed up. Thanks!
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby volklgirl » September 12th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Mucho gracias to whoever ponied up for the new signage!! I love the size and color coding making them perfectly readable by those of us who like to ride at dusk or who are nearing/over the age of 50. :D This was the first time I've ridden out there without having to stop to figure out where I was. Yay!

There was a lot more sand than I've ever seen out there, though....big honkin' sand pits on top of the usual loose stuff in some of the corners.

Lovin the new/moved bridges and the multiple routes in Dismal Swamp, as well!!
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby muttonmark » September 20th, 2011, 7:21 am

I am gonna go ride all of the loops this AM. Hopefully, with the rain we had gotten yesterday, the sand pits that Volklgirl is talking about with be a little packed down.
muttonmark

Postby muttonmark » September 20th, 2011, 6:39 pm

The rain had packed down pretty much all of the sand pits, with the exception of one or two. It was ultra fast this morning. I made the mistake of going across the Boy Scout Bridge on the Gnu loop as it was still a little wet. That wood was greasy!! I ended up sliding off of it sideways into the brush. But nothing too bad. Other than the normal Roots and bridges, it ws pretty smooth.
muttonmark

Postby detroitjohnny » November 18th, 2011, 6:25 am

Rode out here yesterday on my way home from Detroit. Everything seemed to be clear, it was not muddy. Nice ride!
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Re: NMMBA: Midland City Forest

Postby turbotoad » May 27th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Rode this trail for the first time on Friday on my way "up North". I had a great time on the trail but found myself turned around or lost about 10 times. The trail signs are in really weird locations. There are MANY MANY MANY different trails intersecting or y-ing off from the single track trail that makes following the routes very confusing. And a lot of the times there are no signs to figure out where you are, OR the sign you needed to see to take the correct route was located AFTER the intersection. This caused me to stop (after thinking something wasn't right) and back-track many times to regain the route direction. So the only way to see the signs are to go in the correct direction in the first place :? Other than getting totally confused a number of times, the trail offered some very entertaining sections. It's worth a stop on my way up North again.
turbotoad

Postby jfactor! » October 26th, 2012, 11:49 am

Rode here for the first time last night. Was surprisingly dry and pretty fun. No big hills of course, but not too bad for a quick ride after work.
jfactor!

Postby Zoo1424 » January 13th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Rode the trails yesterday afternoon - rare 50+ degree day in January. The trails for the most part were in great shape, not much mud at all on the singletrack. I noticed a couple of new obstacles have been put up/finished since my last ride in October. Very cool.
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby Zoo1424 » April 3rd, 2013, 10:15 am

Anyone have an idea what condition the trails are in right now?(early April)
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby SolarKitty » April 6th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Yesterday a buddy said he is riding there 2 or 3 times a week now.
SolarKitty

Postby Zoo1424 » April 6th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Great. Thanks for the update. I'll have to get out there tomorrow then.
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby brokenbones » April 28th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Based on the above information I drove up to MCF today hoping to knock out a few laps. Sadly, the trail has had a hard winter/spring and is not quite ready for prime time. The main 2-track bridge has washed out and is partially collapsed. It's baracaded from any use. The smaller west bridge further to the back is also damaged, but can still be used with some caution. Many portions of the trail including some of the 2-track roads were under several inches of standing water. I finished 1 lap and called it a day. While there were several other hikers and bikers using the trail today, none of us should have been out there. It was just trail abuse. I would give this one several more weeks to dry out, and if the locals post up a trail day, consider throwing in a helping hand. This normally very fun trail is going to need a lot of TLC.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby SolarKitty » April 29th, 2013, 8:21 am

Almost all the local Midland trails are damaged; MCF, Pine Haven and even Burns Road has bridges out.
SolarKitty

Postby turbotoad » July 2nd, 2013, 10:01 pm

Decided to try Midland this afternoon on my way through to Traverse City. I forgot to bring a map and couldn't find any at the trailhead. The trailhead sign stated that due to flooding one of the bridges was out (West Bridge?) but I decided to just go until I ran into a problem. The trails were in pretty good shape with only an occational muddy spot. But once again I got turned around and confused witht he trail direction. I started from the Monroe Rd trailhead, took the North Loop then got on the South Loop. Took Frog Holler Loop and then back on the South Loop. Then proceeded to the Gnu (sp?) which eventually dumped back out onto the South Loop. South Loop "Extension" returned to the North Loop and I was shortly back at the parking lot. Somehow I got about 10 miles on my cyclometer. The last time I rode I had about 15 miles. And the first time I ever rode the trail I got about 13.5 miles....IDK, somehow I keep riding different routes even though I try to keep the same route. It kind of frustrating that there are SO MANY trails intersecting and leading to dead ends (home back yards) and such. The signage seemed a little better this time but it's still very easy to get on the wrong trail or miss a turn. Oviously this would become less of a concern with familiarity (more riding), but his being only my third time out there, some better signage (colored instead of routered dark wood) would be awsome. At any rate.....the trails were in good shape and I noticed a couple "new" wooden jumps added in a spots. I had fun even though I jacked my knee up when I hit a small stump with my pedal midturn, and drilled my knee-cap into my handle bar end. This is a fun trail.

Edit; BTW I never did see any bridge washed out or damaged.
turbotoad

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments