CRAMBA: Ruby Campground

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Holly/Flint: Ruby Campground

Postby gf101 » April 27th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Haven't been to Ruby in quite a few years... did a bridge ever get built over the stream?
gf101

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 27th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Nope... I don't really mind the stream though... it's really only an issue when the water's high and in the fall when its freezing cold.they re-routed it a lil' last year before the stream crossing.A buddy and myself are gunna take a stab at it next week.... but really it's a mud pit most of the season. I'll post conditions when I get back.I'm thinkin' of goin Monday or Tuesday.If work doesn't get in the way again.
Rock N' Rolla

Postby MTB_Jay » April 29th, 2011, 8:19 pm

I haven't been out there since out last trail day a couple weeks ago, but I imagine it's really muddy right now with all the rain we've been having. The river is also probably really high right now.

Also, I would disagree with rock n rolla, I ride there weekly all summer and only spring time or after a heavy rain would I consider it a mud pit. Once we get some decent, dry weather it will dry out and be fine other than right after a rain.
MTB_Jay

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 30th, 2011, 6:31 am

oh? a dryer Ruby??? Looks like I'll be seeing more of Ruby onthe weekends I head to my parents :) Hey , what's going on with that other trail in the works ...Columbus Park I think... Haven't heard much about it since last year?
Rock N' Rolla

Postby MTB_Jay » April 30th, 2011, 7:25 am

Don't get me wrong, it's probably a mud pit right now with all this rain, but we've worked on a lot of reroutes or changes to help address the mud in recent years. Most of the problem areas have been addressed so once it dries up there shouldn't be more than a handful of mud holes to deal with.

We haven't made it across the river yet this year so not sure what kind of shape that is in.

I'm not sure what's up with Columbus Park. I know that Dirt was involved with them and believe they had started working on some trail.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » May 1st, 2011, 8:16 am

Update on Ruby - The campground is literally under water which means that much of the trail will be as well. Once the rain slows down the river will go down and a few days of dry weather will dry up the trails. Definitely avoid it for now though.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » June 5th, 2011, 7:21 am

Ruby is starting to come around, though this has been a tough year with all the rain we've had. We spent some time out there yesterday and the front half is good to go with just a few lingering muddy spots. A couple guys are heading out there today to work on the other side of the river so hopefully that will be cleaned up and ready to go soon.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » July 27th, 2011, 7:23 am

Ruby is in good shape right now. Everything is dry and the river is low, ankle deep in most spots. Did some extensive trimming the other night so most of the trail is clear of face slappers.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » August 10th, 2011, 7:15 am

Ruby is in great shape, all of the trimming is done out there. Get out there and preride before the race, just a week and a half left.
MTB_Jay

Postby AkA » August 16th, 2011, 5:54 am

With the rain we had on Sunday it actually helped pack down any loose spots! It has your tyipcal greasy spots on the backside in only two areas, but should be fine come Sunday. The trail is better than it has been in years! Faster with alot more flow to it!
Don't forget your trail fee at the office when you show up, and get out there and pre-ride before the race! but really how hard could the trail really be? after all it is only a campground?.... :twisted:
AkA

Postby Steve_Kinley » August 16th, 2011, 6:31 am

but really how hard could the trail really be? after all it is only a campground?....

LOL I say the same thing about LOHS, it's only a school yard....
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby Steve_Balogh » August 19th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Did a Ruby ride today, had the day off work. Pretty dry out there, the creek is lower than I've ever seen it before, though I walk it as it's deep enough to soak a chain unless you're riding a singlespeed. Trail is hard and fast. Nice work on the reroutes, that one switchback right after the start should not bottleneck for beginner&sport like it often does. Noticed a fork in the trail on the other side of the creek, normal way looks a bit ugly, is the right leg being used in the race?

I used repellent, however I really didn't see a lot of bugs/mosquitos like I do around my house in Canton.
Steve_Balogh

Postby gen-xer » August 25th, 2011, 9:58 am

The 5 mile loop is in GREAT shape. The 2 creek crossings are about 3"-8" deep right now. Some people are riding them with no problems. Great ride lines are formed due to the race held last weekend. The trail is getting used by a lot of riders and some runners this season... nice to see so many new faces out in the woods.

Get out and enjoy the fun!!!!! :D

If you wanna ride with a group. Join us every Tuesday at 6pm if you can. Otherwise, the trail is open 8am-8pm with a $2 trail use fee if you are not camping. Park in the main visitors lot at the bottom of the hill.
gen-xer

Postby cjn1014 » April 28th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Anyone been out?
We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "*beep*" on their airplanes because it's obscene!
cjn1014

Postby MTB_Jay » May 19th, 2012, 7:28 am

There have been two trail days so far. The mild winter and dry spring were good for the trail, it's in great shape. Get out and ride it.
MTB_Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions