Western: Greenville Shearer Road Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Greenville Shearer Road Trail

Postby volklgirl » July 18th, 2009, 8:12 pm

The new section is finally beginning to rock! It is firming up and defining nicely and now has much more flow than I expected the first time I rode it. All the reroutes are great.

With the exception of a few small black muddy spots, this trail is in GREAT shape right now. I really, really, really miss the pit skinny and the teeter, though :-(
volklgirl

Postby Irish57 » September 18th, 2009, 3:49 pm

This was quite a different experience for me with all the dips and rocks. The roots were more than I'm used to. The bridges were interesting. Small or long. I would rate this trail as definitely intermediate but for a beginner it would be challenging. It does remind me quite a bit of Bass River. Worth the the trip though. Nice layout with the land that's there.
Irish57

Postby volklgirl » April 9th, 2010, 11:42 pm

The new section is riding in very well.
As usual, the guys have been busy out there. The bridges of the gacky parts of the new section are perfect and the newer reroutes are great. Yay for the new play areas as well.

Kudos again, guys!!!
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby gtrowbridge » April 10th, 2010, 8:30 am

volklgirl wrote:The new section is riding in very well.
As usual, the guys have been busy out there. The bridges of the gacky parts of the new section are perfect and the newer reroutes are great. Yay for the new play areas as well.

Kudos again, guys!!!

"gacky" ???
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby volklgirl » April 12th, 2010, 8:40 am

Gacky = sloppy, muddy, gooey, slimey

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-Your-Own-Gack
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby gtrowbridge » June 19th, 2010, 6:02 am

Rode yesterday afternoon.
I have to say I love this trail.
The constant dodging between the trees as you try to build up speed is challenging.
Nice rock gardens too.
Plus I don't think there is a mound of dirt that is not incorporated into the trail in the whole area.
There were only a couple of mud holes, and some greasy areas on the trail.
The greasy areas are sometimes in the corners so the rear end kept trying to come around on me.
One corner proved too greasy for my speed and I went into a side ways slide/scramble to get off the bike which left me doing somersaults in the woods...and laughing at myself.
Such a great place to ride a quick 5 miles and a place that some beginner folks can hone their skills.
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby volklgirl » July 19th, 2010, 12:00 am

Really lovin' this trail these days although I was disappointed to see the small, flat log pile disassembled, and I didn't see the big, long, flat log pile just before you pop out into the field, but maybe I just missed it with the new rolly route through there. The new section back and forth across the old straight section is just perfect now. I still really, really, really miss the pit skinny and the teeter. :cry:
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby Longdaddy » June 5th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Rode S.R. this morning. Props to whoever has been out there working on the trail. The new structure is bad a$$!
Longdaddy

Postby gtrowbridge » June 13th, 2011, 9:23 am

Road the trail yesterday after riding Edwards.
Trail was in great shape.
Some of the nettles and burdock is getting pretty high on one of the burms. Glad others had already ridden through there to remove the needles! Couldn't see the trail very well through there. Could use some spray to keep that down.

That new Teepee structure is huge. Little high for me until I inspected it. Next time I'll do it. Wasn't ready for it this time and not sure I had the legs left over anyway. :|

I would like to see more structures or obstacles more towards the end of the trail. After a while I'm thinking "aren't I done yet" because it seems the trail starts to get redundant instead of "can't wait to get to this part next". Of course that is after coming off EC which is constantly throwing things at you so that might have skewed my perspective. :)

Overall a great trail. I love that I can ride both EC and Shearer and not have to get on the road with the Cages in between. That is so awesome.
Keep up the good work!
gtrowbridge

Postby wyldweazel » April 23rd, 2012, 1:43 pm

I rode Shearer road Sunday. Overall, the trail is in good shape. Only one spot of mud on the trail, which should dry up in a matter of days. Less than 30 inches in length. There is one pine tree down in the very first area. people have been riding around it. It is about 18 diameter and sits about axil high. One of the bridges is sinking down to the point you might get some creek water one you. :o lol. Overall still a great trail.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
wyldweazel

Postby Longdaddy » April 29th, 2012, 4:44 pm

I moved the pine tree today. Also picked up a bunch of limbs and sticks. This place still needs some love though. The section across the bridge is kinda neglected. If anyone is interested in doing a trail day send me a pm. If we had even 3 or 4 people we could get this place back in tip top shape.
Longdaddy

Postby the Putti » April 29th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Rode this today for the first time. It was a great place to bring a beginner (my wife). And I agree that a little TLC is needed. Longdadday, my next several weekends are booked, but if you get some people together towards the end of May, I'll help.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard
2015 Cannondale Synapse
the Putti

Postby whitekir » June 23rd, 2012, 5:44 pm

Rode Edwards Creek, then headed over here...what is going on here? Closed for construction? Private property? Will this continue to be a nice mountain bike trail, or has something come up?
whitekir

Postby RickPlite » June 26th, 2012, 8:04 am

Shearer Road Trail is closed temporarily. There is heavy construction going on and we are losing some land. When the construction is finished we will reroute the trail and open it back up. Edwards Creek is still open
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby gtrowbridge » July 10th, 2012, 9:28 am

Went by the trail head today.
Very disappointing to see all the pine trees being logged off the first section. Stumps ripped out of the ground too.
Those were a nice start to the trail.
gtrowbridge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions