Western: Edwards Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Edwards Creek

Postby Bigtymer » July 22nd, 2011, 12:28 pm

I need to get back out there. Love the creek trail!
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby gtrowbridge » July 28th, 2011, 3:59 pm

I rode the creek 4 times this weekend and keep forgetting to post this.

There is a huge oak tree down on the stretch leading to the very back loop on the intermediate.
Probably 16" in diameter. Would make a great up and over if one were built on it.
You can ride around it on the right side once you know its there but its slow.

Also a mud hole was present on the intermediate in the swamp area right after the two long boardwalks. Stay to the left side of it. The right side has a root or something that can stop your front end as the hole is getting deeper (not wider go figure).
This might have changed with the rain.

Oh and at first we didn't wear any bug spray. Huge mistake. Actually left the trail to return to the car for spray before continuing.
The guy in front of me literally had a cloud of deer flys in the slip stream behind his helmet between his shoulder blades.
Crazy to see that when riding behind.
We couldn't out run them totally.
Any time you slowed down for an obstacle they attacked.
Go prepared!!
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby bockrona » April 4th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Anybody been to Edwards Creek lately? Is it dry and ready? I'll be in the area tomorrow and considering a ride.

Yankee was great today, but the sand, hills, amd layout are very different.
bockrona

Postby bockrona » April 5th, 2012, 3:34 pm

bockrona wrote:Anybody been to Edwards Creek lately? Is it dry and ready? I'll be in the area tomorrow and considering a ride.

Rode today, trail is in great shape. It's a great trail.

Thank you for the new signage. It helped. I think this place wins the prize for most trail per square yard.
bockrona

Postby mnelson » May 29th, 2012, 8:04 pm

The trail's quick but some of the sand is starting to appear again. There is a tree down just before the old log bridge behind the mobile home park. 10-12" in diameter. It will need a chain saw.

Also there is a good sized tree top is down to the south end of where the BMXr's hang out towards the end of the trail. You can ride around it without disrupting an MTB riders rhythm too much, but the BMXr's looked rather perplexed tonight. I vote we leave this tree there for now. :wink:
mnelson

Postby RickPlite » June 26th, 2012, 8:05 am

Shearer Road Trail is closed temporarily. There is heavy construction going on and we are losing some land. When the construction is finished we will reroute the trail and open it back up. Edwards Creek is still open
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » July 9th, 2012, 10:23 pm

Rode Edwards Creek yesterday and the trail is not in very good shape. There are a few trees down, a lot of the log piles are shoddy/not rideable, there is a bit of garbage (i.e. glass, trash bags, condoms/wrappers and just generally a lot of debris on the trail (sticks, leaves, rocks) that made traction limited. I'd say it just needs to be ridden more and that would take care of most of the problems.

I also learned that EC is not very friendly to a 29er. I'd say that if you have a 26" bike, take that, cause it's a very tight/technical trail.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby T-rex » July 10th, 2012, 7:43 am

EC has taken a huge slide in the wrong direction. The momentum this trail had in it's infancy is gone. It needs some fresh blood in terms of a crew that is willing to bring it back to it's glory, really a shame what's happened there.

Sorry you wasted a trip coming all the way from Holland to ride. I'd disagree with you on not being 29er friendly. I'm running 29er, SS and although the trail blows, the bike rides it well.
T-rex

Postby gtrowbridge » July 10th, 2012, 9:26 am

I too rode EC this weekend.
I didn't think it was that bad.
I would say most of what I encountered could be attributed to the storms that went through. If any of the TCs also have storm damage then the priority is with their property first.

Big tree down after you exit the expert loop, cross the bridge, and get back on the intermediate.
Think that one I had to crawl and drag my bike under to get through.
Another one not to far down from there but heading in the opposite direction (I think). That one I had to push the bike over top of as it was about thigh high on me.
Other than that the ride was good. The bridge obstacles still were functioning good I thought.

Biggest thing was little to no flys, which at Ionia is a killer at this time.

I still think its a fun and challenging course.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby mnelson » August 2nd, 2012, 10:16 pm

Rode EC yesterday afternoon. The trail is in great condition after the rains (and no mud either). A huge thanks to whoever raked the sand out of the low spots and chronic sand pits. What a huge difference that made along with the recent rains.
mnelson

Postby whitetail trail » August 15th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Rode the trail a couple times this week trails in great shape no sand and the trail has been blown off great shape fun technical ride
whitetail trail

Postby bockrona » October 17th, 2012, 8:42 am

Rode Edwards Creek yesterday along w/ Shearer Road. Slow going w/ lots of wet leaves and sticks. There are some trees down also.
bockrona

Postby bockrona » June 12th, 2013, 9:14 am

Rode Edwards Creek and Shearer Road yesterday. A little wet, slippery and slow at the moment, but these are fun trails that are under utilized. Go to Greenville and ride.
Some clearing and cutting was being done yesterday, thank you to the maintenance crew.
bockrona

Postby the Putti » July 5th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Rode this today. Very interesting trail. Not going to argue about 26 vs 29, but I certainly wish I had a more nimble bike than my Niner EMD for this trail.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Specialized Allez Sport Compact Double
2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
the Putti

Postby bleve » July 30th, 2013, 1:19 pm

Was able to stop and ride the trail on Saturday when I visited a friend and was very impressed with the mowing job and how clear the whole trail was. Somewhere around mile 5 or 6, just past the steel bench that appears to be part of an old fitness trail, there was a tree branch hanging low that you just had to duck your head and ride through but other than that no obstacles. It was sad to see how most of the stunts appeared unloved but I still rode them all (after inspecting them) - except the elevated bridge next to the creek that was completely grown over. A couple logs would make the boulder ride over doable again and the same with the log pile along the creek.
bleve

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments