Call to arms: St. Clair County Park!

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Re: Call to arms: St. Clair County Park!

Postby Roy » April 9th, 2012, 6:48 am

The trail could be scouted, flagged, and cut the same day. 2 or 3 experienced trail builders would rough flag the route , followed 1 experienced builder to make the first cut. Keep the situation fluid so that trail direction could be changed at any time anyone could see a better line. Next he first group should be fast moving and just rough cut the trail. Some times the lead group would only trim off the saplings. Then a second slower moving second group would progressively finish up. Fast moving, not even stopping for bench cuts: drop one builder from the group to bench cut.
If enough people show up work the trail from both ends.
This is a rough outline how the Hick and new Tree Farm trails were cut so quickly.
With 2 groups of 10 builders each again divided into 2 groups you should be able to cut 2 miles in a day, maybe even more.
I think we could see a large number of eager trail builders drive out there if it was clear that a lot of new trail was going to be cut.
Think bold and this could be a great trail.

Roy
Roy

Postby nailgunn » April 16th, 2012, 11:31 am

inasnit wrote:We're hoping to get some traildays going this season for sure. We're also looking for someone to help lead this charge - anyone interested?

I thought Nick was taking point on this? Is time becoming an issue?
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby dirt » April 16th, 2012, 11:33 am

nailgunn wrote:
inasnit wrote:We're hoping to get some traildays going this season for sure. We're also looking for someone to help lead this charge - anyone interested?

I thought Nick was taking point on this? Is time becoming an issue?

I'm still trying to lead this effort, but we've found that it's useful to have multiple TCs to help share the load.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby nailgunn » April 16th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Well in the Air Force I learned to never volunteer for anything .. but in this case if you do need a hand I can offer some assistance. Granted I have not been involved in a TC role but I can attempt to learn and help.
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby Di_bear » April 16th, 2012, 1:08 pm

nailgunn wrote:Well in the Air Force I learned to never volunteer for anything ...

You'd think that *I* would learn this. :-?
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby daurand » April 26th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Roy wrote:The trail could be scouted, flagged, and cut the same day. 2 or 3 experienced trail builders would rough flag the route , followed 1 experienced builder to make the first cut.Roy

Is there a rough plan for where the trail should go or do the scouts just start walking and flagging? Are some places 'off limits'? I could see a lot of uphill/downhill sections like at Ruby.

Anybody else ride UP the sledding hill? Can't wait to try it on my 29er.

:oops: I just pulled up the map and noticed the mountain bike trails are west of Kronner Rd. I was thinking they would be in the main part of the park by the sledding hill. Guess I'll have to go ride that part.
http://www.stclaircounty.org/offices/parks/forms/ColumbusParkMap.pdf
I fear Teeter Totters.
daurand

Postby dirt » April 29th, 2012, 5:26 pm

I, and a few other CRAMBA volunteers, spent some time @ Columbus Park this weekend scouting some trail. Including some single track that we marked, and utilizing some of the mowed trails that the park has put in, we scoped out a loop that is a little over a mile. I think this would be a good place to start from. A nice loop around some areas of the MTB section of the trail, and place to work off from as we build single track and expand the trail.

I'm going to be talking to the park early this week, and if everything is good, we'll be looking at a possible trail day this weekend to kick things off.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

dirt
Administrator

Postby dirt » May 3rd, 2012, 8:07 am

We have a go ahead for building out first usable segment of single track @ Columbus. This will give us a bit over a mile of trail, in a loop. This will give us something to ride, and something to work off from going forward.

Trail day @ Columbus Park, Sunday the 6th, meeting @ 9AM, heading out into the park @ 9:30. Park @ the parking lot at the bottom of the hill, which will be our trail head.

We have a couple hundred yards of trail to build, and some minor little project elsewhere to complete the loop. We may also have the parks Ditch Witch, which we may be using to build some of the trail, learning how these tools in trail building.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB

dirt
Administrator

Postby dirt » May 4th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Sunday is cancelled. Lots of rain totally flooded some of the problem double track areas. These are areas that the park is going to be fixing soon, but as of now, they are impassable.

Rescheduling for May 20th.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB

dirt
Administrator

Postby dirt » July 30th, 2012, 8:10 am

Next trail day is scheduled for Aug 25th. 9AM at the trail head.

We have a couple of new faces involved @ Columbus. A couple of the TCs from Holly/Flint Ruby Campground are stepping up to help keep this project moving. We still have some details to clean up to complete the full loop, but we are also going to be doing some scouting prior to the trail day, so we'll have some new trail to put in also. I think we'll be looking at a completed look after this trail day, so bring your bikes for a post-trail day ride.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB

dirt
Administrator

Postby Jayers » August 1st, 2012, 1:45 pm

Wish I could make it but I will be in Traverse City on vacation, and I'm still recovering from my broken leg. As soon as I'm able, I'm coming out to the trail to ride it. I might be interested in helping maintain or otherwise coordinate the trail if this is a thing that is needed.
Jayers

Previous

Return to Volunteers Needed