What to expect at a trail work day

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

What to expect at a trail work day

Postby Todd Scott » July 19th, 2004, 8:04 am

Working on a trail you love to ride is very rewarding. The following suggestions should prepare you for most any trail work and make the work more enjoyable.

Suggested clothing
It's a matter of personal preference, but long sleeves and light pants means less chance of getting poison ivy, bug bites, scratches, or sunburn. Dressing in layers is a good idea as well. Trail work tends to keep you warm in cooler temperatures.

Personel items to bring
Image Water -- Some folks bring a bottle along while others prefer Camelbak's. You just don't want to get dehydrated
Image Snack -- Often times there will be snacks provided, but it doesn't hurt to stash an energy bar in your pocket.
Image Bug repellant -- Early in the year this is less of a problem.
Image Sunscreen -- Don't get burned!
Image Eye protection -- Most cycling glasses work well.
Image Long fingered gloves -- Cheap work gloves are fine or even old cycling gloves. It's just a good idea to give your hands a little extra protection, a little extra grip, and less chance for blisters.

Useful tools to bring
If you have some of these tools, it doesn't hurt to bring them along to the trail work day. Once there, you can ask the trail coordinator which tools would work best for the day's planned activities. On the other hand, if you don't have tools, that's usually not a problem. The MMBA Chapters or parks typically have extras available.
  • Leaf rake -- For clear leaves and other duff from new trails.
  • Shovel -- Useful for filling low spots or building rolling grade dips/knicks. Round point shovels work best.
  • Branch loppers, pruners, tree saw -- For cutting branches

More advanced trail tools, including mcleods and pulaskis are very useful. There's more information on these tool on the IMBA web site.

Can I bring my kids?
There's usually something kids can do and find exciting, but use your judgement. Most times they simply like being in the woods and discovering all sorts of interesting things. Still, it's important they have proper protection and remain away from any potentially hazardous trail work.

Should I bring my bike?
That's not a bad idea, but it depends on the trail conditions. There's nothing more immediately rewarding than riding a newly groomed or constructed trail with the other volunteers.

If you have any suggestions or questions, please post them and we'll add the information.
Todd Scott

Re: What to expect at a trail work day

Postby Willrock » May 5th, 2010, 5:13 pm

As I am in the midst of getting over some poison ivy rashes from my last trail day I would like to reccomend some poison ivy protectant/cleaning lotion or spray. I havn't used anything yet, but I know there are a variety of products out there.
Willrock

Postby G.Cook » May 5th, 2010, 6:17 pm

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/searc ... ison%20ivy
I also wear arm warmers when working around the stuff which is better then a long sleeved anything impo. A bit warm but it helps keep the stuff off of you . Just put'em in the laundry after you take them off inside out .
G.Cook

Postby Di_bear » May 6th, 2010, 11:40 pm

Willrock wrote:As I am in the midst of getting over some poison ivy rashes from my last trail day I would like to reccomend some poison ivy protectant/cleaning lotion or spray. I havn't used anything yet, but I know there are a variety of products out there.

They seriously make that stuff!? Cooool.
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Return to Volunteers Needed