Poto: Lakelands Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Poto: Lakelands Trail

Postby Todd Scott » March 29th, 2004, 11:58 pm

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Lakelands Trail
Todd Scott

Postby Mr.B » March 30th, 2004, 12:15 am

Trail was Dry and rideable as of Thurs.25th. 1 tree across the trail .02 mi. past the airstrip on M-36. Needs more bike traffic, alot of hoof prints and some 4 wheeler tracks.
Mr.B

Postby bunk » July 24th, 2004, 10:47 pm

Lots of hoof prints between Kelly Rd and town of Gregory. Makes for a very bumpy ride, great for all your Paris Roubaix fantasies. Smooths out quite a bit between Gregory and Stockbridge. Some softer sandy spots to watch for.
bunk

Re: Potawatomi: Lakelands Trail

Postby bill_m » August 3rd, 2009, 11:27 am

Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby Mr Wonderful » August 5th, 2012, 9:20 am

Stop ahead sign down just east of the 5.5 mile marker in the paved section.

Unless you like bike whacking, the eastern terminus is not as Google suggests at the curve on M36 by Maxey. Best to bail off or enter on Hamburg.
Mr Wonderful

Postby glr » December 22nd, 2013, 7:04 pm

Don't know if anyone has been out on the sections west of Stockbridge in a while (or ever for that matter) but there has been some significant work done going toward Jackson. It is still a little rough, but not near what it used to be. With colder weather coming, it might be a fun ride one it refreezes. Especially for some of you fat bike owners (yes, I to am jealous of you!).
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
Yeah, the fatbike is mine...
glr

Postby G.Cook » December 22nd, 2013, 7:43 pm

Highly recommend a Fat-Bike for the sections after Stockbridge. The further you go the rougher it gets. But it is a great ride.
G.Cook

Postby glr » April 1st, 2014, 2:33 pm

For those who would like to get off the roads, the section from Stockbridge to munith is ridable at least with the fat bike. the wind is terrible but the scenery is nice. saw a few turkeys just prior to munith, boy did they make me hungry! also if you stop in munith for a bite to eat, big chucks pizza has coneys that are fantastic. apparently not many people around here have seen fat-bikes, it generated some conversations!
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
Yeah, the fatbike is mine...
glr

Postby hobit » March 27th, 2016, 11:06 am

Ride was very nice yesterday. Rode from the eastern-most part of the trail to nearly all the way to Munith and back. The trail starts out paved and gets progressively worse (or at least harder to ride) as you go west. I turned around when it got to be 1/2 inch deep gravel and my mountain bike couldn't make real progress. As others have noted, a fat bike would likely be fine at that point.

There was supposed to be a bathroom at Stockbridge, but I didn't see one.

Didn't really see anyplace to get water other than restaurants and/or gas stations (both of which were rare). There is a Subway right on the trail just east of Stockbridge. No place to park a bike that I could see, but the food was welcome (also serve personal pizzas and a few other things in addition to traditional convenience store stuff).

Parked https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4477855 ... 328!8i1664. Though the Streetview makes it look like you can't park there, things are a bit different than shown. Google maps does have the east-most point wrong, you can't get there from 9-mile road but you can from Hall (though there is no off-street parking).

Google maps also has the trail ending at Stockbridge, which is also wrong, though the going does get tougher at that point.

Fair bit of horse damage to the trail as the ground is still wet. Two serious holes along the way, (8" wide, 4 feet deep?) that need fixing.

Nice ride, I'll do it again.
hobit

Postby hobit » May 20th, 2016, 5:27 pm

With rain and grass growing, the trail is quite a bit nicer to ride at the moment. Horse damage is pretty minor right now. Made it from Hamsburg to a couple of miles south of Munith. There is a tree down close to Munith (right where two goats can heckle you for trying to get around the tree) but otherwise the trail is clear. Very few people on the trail past Stockbridge.
hobit

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 21st, 2016, 9:31 am

hobit wrote:
Google maps also has the trail ending at Stockbridge, which is also wrong, though the going does get tougher at that point.

It's been a while since I've ridden that trail, I always remember it ending in Stockbridge, what does one get going into Munith? Any hills? Does that continue straight across the road, or do you have to jog north or south to continue on from Stockbridge?
Steve_Balogh

Re: Poto: Lakelands Trail

Postby hobit » Yesterday, 11:25 am

It's pretty much just straight on--I almost always to to Munith. The trail gets _really_ bad (tall grass etc.) past Munith. And if you go past Munith the trail _still_ keeps going, though after a mile or three there is a bridge with a sign that says it's not safe (which I've gone over with no problems) though I think that's just DNR land and not really part of the trail.

Sorry for the delay in responding, don't check here often. And sorry for the edit. In my original comments I was confusing Munith with Stockbridge.
hobit

Postby hobit » Yesterday, 11:37 am

Updates:
There is something new being added at Gregory right across from Mugg and Bopps. Can't tell what it is, but maybe a covered picnic table? It looks a bit larger than that, but can't tell. Hopefully has water.

The farm just past Stockbridge has some new signage. It's clear the farmer is getting annoyed with people riding on his roadway rather than the trail (it wasn't well marked before and I've seen people on the roadway on accident).

Lots of repairs marked on the asphalt on the eastern part of the trail. Doesn't really need much work, but I'm sure the road bikers will appreciate it.

Trail conditions largely good. All the down trees were fixed/cut/removed but there is a new one. However it was trivial to ride around. There are a few deep holes on the trail (just one or two I guess) but they are pretty well marked.
hobit

Postby SteveF » Yesterday, 12:45 pm

Steve_Balogh wrote:
hobit wrote:

It's been a while since I've ridden that trail, I always remember it ending in Stockbridge, what does one get going into Munith? Any hills? Does that continue straight across the road, or do you have to jog north or south to continue on from Stockbridge?

The unimproved rail bed continues west of Stockbridge but it's not what I'd consider a railtrail. Two-track at best. I understand it'll be finished/groomed/whatever eventually tho.

I rode here once in the spring and it was already ridiculously rough,bumpy and loose from Stockbridge to a few miles past Gregory. If this is to become a multi-use destination trail as the signage at the trail parking lot in Stockbridge implied, they'll need to do something to curb horse damage.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby bender16v » Yesterday, 12:53 pm

Is that farm east or west of Stockbridge? I usually start in Hamburg and have never gone past Stockbridge but I would like to extend the ride.
How is the section between Gregory and the first crossing of M36 going east? A couple months ago it was a little rough and I with I had my MTB.
bender16v

Return to Trail Conditions