FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE

Announcements for group rides

FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE

Postby gtrowbridge » September 17th, 2013, 3:04 pm

FLAT RIVER VALLEY RAIL TRAILS

FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE
SEPTEMBER 28TH
LOWELL MI.
FREE TO ALL RIDERS

Location: Cherry Street Elementary School, 2657 Foreman St. SE. Lowell Mi 49331

Start: Ride will start at 9:00am

Distance: Varies upon how far you want to ride. Starting at the school we’ll connect to the unimproved Flat
River Valley Rail Trail and head north to Smyrna onto Belding and Greenville then back to the school. Were
setting up a rest station at the Depot in Belding. If you don’t want to ride all the way to Greenville go ahead
and turn back. The Lowell area has several trials available to ride. This isn’t a race we wanted to create a FAT
TIRE gathering hoping to connect the new fat tire bike riders with others in the community as well as promote
our trail so come on FAT TIRE riders enjoy the day and meet others who enjoy this new style of bike.

National Trails Week: Our event is proud to be part of National Trails Week. Events like this will be held all over the country
celebrating the construction and use of our state and national trail system. Come on down be part of it.

Contact Information:
Contact event director: George Raimer at 616-902-1142
Contact co-director: John Ploeg at 616-291-7573
Email questions to GRaimer@displaypack.com or jploeg@steelcase.com

If possible, they would like an RSVP email just to know how many people to expect for planning of the stop in Belding.

Check out the trail group web site at www.rivervalleyrailtrails.org also check them out on Facebook

Thanks.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 345
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE

Postby gtrowbridge » September 17th, 2013, 3:17 pm

gtrowbridge wrote:FLAT RIVER VALLEY RAIL TRAILS

FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE
SEPTEMBER 28TH
LOWELL MI.
FREE TO ALL RIDERS

Location: Cherry Street Elementary School, 2657 Foreman St. SE. Lowell Mi 49331

Start: Ride will start at 9:00am

Distance: Varies upon how far you want to ride. Starting at the school we’ll connect to the unimproved Flat
River Valley Rail Trail and head north to Smyrna onto Belding and Greenville then back to the school. Were
setting up a rest station at the Depot in Belding. If you don’t want to ride all the way to Greenville go ahead
and turn back. The Lowell area has several trials available to ride. This isn’t a race we wanted to create a FAT
TIRE gathering hoping to connect the new fat tire bike riders with others in the community as well as promote
our trail so come on FAT TIRE riders enjoy the day and meet others who enjoy this new style of bike.

National Trails Week: Our event is proud to be part of National Trails Week. Events like this will be held all over the country
celebrating the construction and use of our state and national trail system. Come on down be part of it.

Contact Information:
Contact event director: George Raimer at 616-902-1142
Contact co-director: John Ploeg at 616-291-7573
Email questions to GRaimer@displaypack.com or jploeg@steelcase.com

If possible, they would like an RSVP email just to know how many people to expect for planning of the stop in Belding.

Check out the trail group web site at http://www.rivervalleyrailtrails.org also check them out on Facebook

Thanks.


It is approximately 21 miles one way to Greenville from Lowell.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 345
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE

Postby SteveF » September 19th, 2013, 1:11 pm

How "unimproved" is the section of trail you're planning to ride? Are we talking fat tired road bike-passable, mtb only, bushwacking and overgrown, loose ballast misery? :lol:
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
User avatar
SteveF
 
Posts: 3187
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 9:56 am

Re: FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE

Postby gtrowbridge » September 19th, 2013, 1:52 pm

SteveF wrote:How "unimproved" is the section of trail you're planning to ride? Are we talking fat tired road bike-passable, mtb only, bushwacking and overgrown, loose ballast misery? :lol:


Not bushwhacking. :)
Unimproved means doesn't have anything done to it since the rails and ties were pulled out.
This is somewhat packed ballast by the vehicles that pulled the rails....however there are some looser areas in spots.
Locals, including myself, have been riding the trails with fat bikes and are able to reach sustained speeds of 12mph - 15mph depending on the rider.
Fat bikes definitely make a big difference thus the recommendation.
My 26" Fuel with full suspension and 2.20" tires is do-able on the trail but is no match for a fat bike.
My Moonlander with 4.8 inches and a friends Mukluk with 3.8 inch tires make short work of the rail road ballast.

The trail is free of deadfalls and just might have some weedy areas in spots.
This won't be a bushwhacking fatbike/cyclocross event. :lol:

Oh and there are some rail road trestles to cross which you can do so at your own risk or take a slight detour to get around. Detours maps and discussions can be obtained from George Raimer.
The trestles are of course in good shape and are certainly wide enough for bike passage but have no sides and may have gaps between the ties.
Locals always cross the trestles on bike and have no issues. Its probably the only time in your life you can legally do so. :)
Trestles vary in length depending on if they are crossing a river or a creek, etc. Certainly one of the most interesting and fun "obstacles" I have ever crossed on a mountain bike.

Oh and free railroad spikes for those that attend. You'll find them every once in a while on the trail. Get'em before they get buried by gravel and or blacktop.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 345
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE

Postby SteveF » September 19th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Sounds like a good day on the bike--I'll definitely keep this in mind. Re railroad spikes, I'll pick them up if you'll carry them...

Sounds like there will be several food and turnaround opportunities, too. Gotta like that.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
User avatar
SteveF
 
Posts: 3187
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 9:56 am

Re: FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE

Postby gtrowbridge » September 19th, 2013, 2:29 pm

SteveF wrote:Sounds like a good day on the bike--I'll definitely keep this in mind. Re railroad spikes, I'll pick them up if you'll carry them...

Sounds like there will be several food and turnaround opportunities, too. Gotta like that.


Yup. I highly recommend the "Otisco Bakery and Basics" in Smyrna. Excellent baked goods. Coffee (not espresso yet). Ice cream. Beverages of all kinds and snacks.
Plus the Rail Trail guys are going to have some stuff setup in rail road depot in Belding. There is also a grocery store in belding right near the trail and a rite aid.
There is also a nice old cafe "Bridge Street Cafe" next to the trail where it crosses the river in Belding. My family enjoys breakfast and lunches there.

If you want to see what the trail will be some day you can check out the Grand River Valley Rail trail from Ionia to Saranac which is in the process of being finished in the next 1.5 months.
Hard packed crushed limestone and black top (inside city limits) right along the river. Great views.

Someday not to far off Steve you will be able to put your bike on the trail in Owasso and ride it all the way to Greenville via these trails. Great snow biking territory we hope.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 345
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE

Postby Steve_Balogh » September 27th, 2013, 7:18 pm

I believe you've left a "1" out of the address. Google maps gave me a strange location, but when I entered Cherry Street School, Lowell I got 12675 Foreman.

Not sure if I can make it.
User avatar
Steve_Balogh
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: June 22nd, 2002, 7:29 pm
Location: Canton, Mi (aka "IKEAVILLE")

Re: FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE

Postby gtrowbridge » September 28th, 2013, 6:47 am

I believe you are correct

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 345
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: FAT TIRE FRENZIE CLUB RIDE

Postby Steve_Balogh » September 28th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Great ride, quite a workout with no hills, all that ballast rock made for some tough pedaling. Really enjoyed this. PM me the e-mail of the guy that took pics with my camera, he took another shot of his gear I'm thinking he'll want.
User avatar
Steve_Balogh
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: June 22nd, 2002, 7:29 pm
Location: Canton, Mi (aka "IKEAVILLE")


Return to Ride Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest