Groomed cc ski trails at Maybury

Hiking, adventure racing, winter sports, triathlons, etc.

Re: Groomed cc ski trails at Maybury

Postby Intense Rider » January 11th, 2014, 6:41 am

risnewski wrote:Got in a quick ski this morning and saw you grooming. Thanks! Nice job. I like that you've got some clear path for the walkers and a note for the non-skiers not to walk the groomed trails. Park has never looked so good in the winter.

+1 to that.

Your plowing/grooming approach is Brilliant! I can't remember the last time Maybury was this well taken care of this time of year.

Thanks!
Intense Rider

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » January 12th, 2014, 11:44 pm

I've really enjoyed the skiing at Maybury this year - both on the groomed trails, as well as on the equestrian and hiking trails! Conditions were amazing through Friday evening (we were finishing skiing as the rain was coming down in force). I'm wondering how much snow is left (it was a really thick base), or is it a lost cause now until we get more snow?
WishIcouldcatchmybreath

Postby sisu » January 13th, 2014, 7:53 am

Just curious, what are you using to groom?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
sisu

Postby DNR_Maybury » January 13th, 2014, 12:48 pm

There is plenty of base left, however when the rain hit we started to get a significant amount of hikers avoiding the paved section to walk all over the classic tracks. Thankfully there is lots of snow, i'm hoping when I get back to work I can cut and till the snow to fill the foot holes. Many areas of southern Michigan could have skiing longer if hikers didn't walk all over the tracks, that is when it becomes difficult to repair the tracks. It sounds like we will be getting some new snow this week. If we do I'm confident that I can repair it. And to answer the second question we have a old 93 Polaris wide track snowmobile with a pull behind track setter that makes the corduroy and classic tracks. So if any of you see a hiker walking on the ski tracks nicely ask them to walk on the paved path (might want to suggest some yak tracks for the ice patches) or ask them to walk on the snow covered trails in the woods. Doing a good job on trail grooming takes hours. Hopefully we can get some good skiing at the park later this week. I'll post up when I groom the trail again. Thank you for the interest in the park!
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby asmallsol » January 13th, 2014, 10:23 pm

Thanks Trevor. Maybe putting a sign up at the two entrance would help keep the walkers off the tracks?
-Collin Snyder
Michigan Youth Cycling Roadie/Single Speeder/Fo-mtber/CXer
asmallsol

Postby sisu » January 14th, 2014, 8:02 am

Just curious, do you have sign posted asking hikers and trail runners to keep off the groomed course?

sisu

Postby DNR_Maybury » January 14th, 2014, 8:08 am

We have a neon green sign at both trailheads, but I will put more out along the trail tomorrow.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby sisu » January 14th, 2014, 1:53 pm

Nice work. Thx.

sisu

Postby DNR_Maybury » January 25th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Trails have been groomed, its also a little wider. Enjoy.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby DNR_Maybury » February 2nd, 2014, 9:37 pm

Groomed the trail today, both sides with classic tracks. Looked to be the best grooming yet this year. This is a great winter for skiing and the trails are looking great, get out and enjoy it!
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby pudge99 » February 3rd, 2014, 10:18 am

The cross country ski trails have been great at Maybury this year. Looking forward to all of the newly groomed snow.
Thanks Trevor for doing such a great job!
pudge99

Postby DNR_Maybury » February 7th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Set all the tracks again last night. After the cold overnight temps the groomed tracks should be solid and fast. If you gear up, the park is amazing after dark, you almost don't need a light!
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby Pooley » February 7th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Where exactly is the groomed trail-head and how long is the loop? My wife and I will be going there tonight or tomorrow and she is somewhat concerned on length.
I may grow old, but I will never grow up.

1984 Vitus Carbone 9
1992 Stumpjumper rigid
2013 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29er
2013 Roubaix Elite Apex Compact
Pooley

Postby DNR_Maybury » February 7th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Trail head is at the 8 mile parking area directly infront of the big green building.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby mikewoods » February 7th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Trevor,

Thanks again for all your work out there! Just got back from a ski this afternoon and the conditions are outstanding.

Pooley- I started from the lot on 8mile and skied to the end (the turn around near the mtb trail), then on the way back, I turned right to go out to the Beck rd. lot, then turned around and came back. Its easy to follow as the tracks are all set so you can't really get lost. Strava says the whole loop is 5.7 miles. http://www.strava.com/activities/111769440
mikewoods

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Lifestyle