Ken-O-Sha Trail

For discussing WMMBA topics.

Ken-O-Sha Trail

Postby robbio7 » March 14th, 2012, 10:50 am

Does anyone have information on the Ken-O-Sha trail that is on the south side of Grand Rapids?
I have seen scattered bits of information but is it open? What is it like? Any information would be great!
robbio7

Re: Ken-O-Sha Trail

Postby RickPlite » March 14th, 2012, 11:40 am

robbio7 wrote:Does anyone have information on the Ken-O-Sha trail that is on the south side of Grand Rapids?
I have seen scattered bits of information but is it open? What is it like? Any information would be great!

it is open, there are a few miles of trail so far, maybe 3.5 Signage is lacking due to thieves so just wing it and wander around, you can't get lost. Note I didn't say you won't get turned around.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby robbio7 » April 2nd, 2012, 3:29 pm

Soooooooooo...

I went and wandered around a bit and found the blue/white marked trail. I did this will my phone tracking on so I could make the following map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211010259242306718293.0004bc9ed0a9ffa3632e7&msa=0&ll=42.906274,-85.635209&spn=0.008974,0.016243&iwloc=0004bc9ed0c604ad99e91

That's all I have discovered so far for the singletrack routing so if anyone knows if there is more that i missed let me know. I do know there is a bit more that I missed on that run and I'll try to do a better trail map when i go next, but at least this way anyone that wants to know can at least see where I parked and the basic trail idea.
robbio7

Postby Buck91 » April 4th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Thats just down the street, I've taken the paved trail before but didn't know there was singletrack. Might have to swap the road tires out to my 42 width tour rides and start including that section.

Looking at your map stats I would guess its pretty tight but how would you describe it in there?
Buck91

Postby giantone » April 4th, 2012, 6:28 pm

I walked the trails a couple days after they were originally cut. The east loop is pretty short and simple. The west loop looked as if it will have a couple tough sections. Nothing looked tight (narrow). Overall a nice simple addition.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk
giantone

Postby robbio7 » April 25th, 2012, 9:59 am

nothing is too tight, steep or technical. its a pretty short loop. It kind of reminds me of a track for runners just for mountain biking. do it over and over and over again and work on form and technique.
robbio7

Postby bbender785 » May 15th, 2013, 1:36 pm

bringing this back up. i too have seen alot of press on this from '11/'12 around the internet, but it has seemingly died? anyways a group of us here at work rode it today at lunch, and it sounds like we are going to be riding it on a weekly basis. fortunately the lead guy had a good grasp on the route, but it definitely needs signage;

it's pretty apparent by where the trail is located (or what it's surrounded by rather) that actual signs aren't going to last. would anyone be butt hurt if i went through and marked the trees, but with paint instead of markers? a buddy and i tried to ride the park a couple weeks back and just kinda winged it, but after riding it behind someone who knows it we hit maybe 30% of it the first time out. i'd love to make it more clear for first-timers like we were.

here was our route today. my first time out i had no idea the lower left loop was even there, and the very top section of the larger loop we missed too:

AIRBORNE Guardian
bbender785

Postby Big_Port » May 15th, 2013, 2:53 pm

bbender785 wrote:bringing this back up. i too have seen alot of press on this from '11/'12 around the internet, but it has seemingly died? anyways a group of us here at work rode it today at lunch, and it sounds like we are going to be riding it on a weekly basis. fortunately the lead guy had a good grasp on the route, but it definitely needs signage;

it's pretty apparent by where the trail is located (or what it's surrounded by rather) that actual signs aren't going to last. would anyone be butt hurt if i went through and marked the trees, but with paint instead of markers? a buddy and i tried to ride the park a couple weeks back and just kinda winged it, but after riding it behind someone who knows it we hit maybe 30% of it the first time out. i'd love to make it more clear for first-timers like we were.

here was our route today. my first time out i had no idea the lower left loop was even there, and the very top section of the larger loop we missed too:

Wow! I have been out there numerous times and had no idea there was anything on the south side of the paved path....I would agree that signs would be helpful out there!!
Big_Port

Postby bbender785 » May 15th, 2013, 3:30 pm

yeah, thing is it's actually pretty cool in that section. as far as i'm concerned it's a *beep* shame people are missing out on the full loop that others worked hard to create, which i am VERY grateful for.
AIRBORNE Guardian
bbender785

Postby RickPlite » May 16th, 2013, 10:06 am

bbender785 wrote:yeah, thing is it's actually pretty cool in that section. as far as i'm concerned it's a *beep* shame people are missing out on the full loop that others worked hard to create, which i am VERY grateful for.

we have asked the city to allow us to paint North Country Trail style paint marks but they won't allow us to do that. Please don't mark anything without approval. All other signs get vandalized.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby mtudee » May 30th, 2013, 3:22 pm

bbender785 wrote:yeah, thing is it's actually pretty cool in that section. as far as i'm concerned it's a *beep* shame people are missing out on the full loop that others worked hard to create, which i am VERY grateful for.

If we can't get trail markers can someone post a map of the trail along with the start/end points? I have bike this a few times and all I have been about to find is a 1-2 mile section of it.
mtudee

Return to West Michigan Mountain Bike Alliance