Al Sabo - Kazoo - vs Sierra Club?

For discussing Southwest Chapter topics.

Al Sabo - Kazoo - vs Sierra Club?

Postby megmzap » June 6th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Hey, everyone!

I posted something in the General forum, but wanted to take it a little bit closer to home. So.....

My husband and I discovered (which I'm sure is not news to everyone...only because we are newer mountain bikers) that there are over 25 miles worth of great single track and two track trails at the Al Sabo Land Preserve in Kazoo.

Only 7 of the 25 miles is open to mountain bikers at the current moment. We went ahead and walked the other trails and discovered some amazing mountain biking options. Unfortunately, back in 1992 the Sierra Club closed off all but 7 miles to mountain bikers. My question is....do you think that 20 years later we might be able to turn that opinion around? I would bet that there are more mountain bikers on the Al Sabo trail then there are hikers these days. Al Sabo right now is to me a beginner/intermediate trail. If the other 18 miles were opened up (or even part of them) it would really bring the caliber up to an intermediate/advanced trail, much like Custer.

Any suggestions for how to create a movement would be well taken and useful!

I'm willing and ready to take on this challenge....

Thoughts?
megmzap

Re: Al Sabo - Kazoo - vs Sierra Club?

Postby Static_Crash » June 6th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Meg,

If you haven't already, I encourage you to become a member of the Southwest Chapter of IMBA and attend a chapter meeting. Former SW Chapter President Mike Needham and current Ft. Custer Trail Boss Gordie Allen have been around a LONG time and can offer some feedback to your questions about Al Sabo. The next chapter meeting is on Monday, June 17th at 6:30 pm at the Barking Frog in Augusta, so come on out and present your questions.

-TC
Static_Crash

Postby rpdemink » June 15th, 2013, 1:37 pm

We bike there sometimes, looks like it has turned into a off the leash dog park. Also have ran into horses numerous times-are horses and off leash dogs allowed by the Sierra club?
rpdemink

Postby jlgoodin78 » April 24th, 2014, 11:18 pm

I messaged in the other forum where this was posted as well. The remote hiking trails get very little use (I've been back on them a good bit and see nobody out there), whereas the MTB loop seems to attract the majority of the hikers & dog walkers. My hunch is opening more trails to MTB would actually ease congestion on the existing MTB loop most non cyclists use and make for a better experience all around. I'd love to kick ideas around with this, so feel free to PM me.
jlgoodin78

Return to Southwest