Tree Farm - New Bridge

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association topics.

Tree Farm - New Bridge

Postby Doogaloo » August 21st, 2012, 11:19 am

I've noticed through the summer that a new bride is being constructed at the Novi Tree Farm. We rode the trail yesterday and work seems to be progressing. My question is why are they building this? It seems the existing bridge is OK.
Doogaloo

Re: Tree Farm - New Bridge

Postby Loren » August 21st, 2012, 11:44 am

Doogaloo wrote:I've noticed through the summer that a new bride is being constructed at the Novi Tree Farm. We rode the trail yesterday and work seems to be progressing. My question is why are they building this? It seems the existing bridge is OK.

Each year, we do a little facilities report for the farm. (You can see a copy of it on the mcmba.org website, under Library/Documents/Advocacy/Lakeshore Park, or just click here )

In short, it's a very old bridge. The decking on it is sound, but everything underneath it is rotting out. In the spring, the water level is up to the decking, and the beams underneath are submerged in water for months at a time. The entry and exits to that bridge are low and soft. We've carried literally a ton of broken concrete and limestone to that area using carts and wheelbarrows, and it's not enough. (Joe had to carry a bunch more limestone out there to shore it up for the Relay.) So we decided to replace that bridge, make it a bit higher and longer and hopefully a bit more fun, and get a decade or more without any maintenance in that area.
Loren

Re: Tree Farm - New Bridge

Postby One and done » August 21st, 2012, 8:25 pm

I really appreciate all of the work you guys put into maintaining that trail. It looks like a labor of love.
One and done

Return to MCMBA