Riding at Proud Lake - Spokejunkies

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association topics.

Riding at Proud Lake - Spokejunkies

Postby Doogaloo » August 10th, 2012, 10:49 am

I signed up to be notified of any group rides by the Spokejunkies. On Wednesday they planned a ride at Milford, so I joined them. After Milford, they took some side roads to get into Proud Lake. The trail was fun and fast. We ended up across the street from the Milford DQ where we picked up the Kensington Metro Park paved trail. I not very familier with the trails at Proud Lake, and just followed the crowd. I do remember a section at Proud Lake where there were some descent climbs. Just wondering if someone out there, maybe the group I rode with, can explain the route we took. Would like to do it again.
Doogaloo

Re: Riding at Proud Lake - Spokejunkies

Postby Hermannator » August 11th, 2012, 11:14 am

I did not ride with you, but you did ride the Kensington-Proud Lake connector. It actually has its own thread on this web-site.
http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... art=999999
There is a map on the trail guide. The connector dumps you into Loop 4 of Proud Lake, and you likely rode that counter-clockwise, across the road and back to some railroad tracks where you can ride some of the other loops. The direction you apparently rode was the more difficult one, I like to start at Milford, ride to Proud Lake, take the connector back to Kensington and back up to Milford. PM me if you ever want more information or to set up a ride out there sometime.
Hermannator

Postby Doogaloo » August 11th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Thank for the reply. We actually did it the way you described, starting at Milford, taking back roads past the canoe launch and into Proud Lake. Would definetly like to do it again. Not as fast as the group I rode with, but not to far behind.
Doogaloo

Postby Hermannator » August 11th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Now that I re-read your post, yes, you did it the normal way. My bad on the reading comprehension. Fun ride. Also, you could ride all the way down to Hickory Glen in Commerce from Proud lake to make it an epic ride.
Hermannator

Postby Doogaloo » August 14th, 2012, 6:12 am

What is the best route to take from downtown Milford to pick up the Proud Lake trail?
Doogaloo

Postby galaxydean » August 14th, 2012, 9:04 am

Go west on W. Commerce rd to the YMCA (1/3-1/2 mile), and the paved trail starts there on the East side of the building. Take it South to Kensington Metro Park (aprox 4 miles) and turn left near the Dairy Queen. Cross Milford Rd. and that's where the connector starts.
dean
galaxydean

Postby mwilson7 » August 14th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Dooglaoo,

Where did you sign up to be notified of rides? I'm always looking for rides at Milford or Proud Lake but never see anything posted.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby Hermannator » August 14th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Another way into the park from Milford is to head south on Main St. until Oakland Ave. (you turn East). There is a sign for the Canoe Livery. Follow Oakland Ave. east and it becomes Garden Rd. Take this east and pass Old Plank on the right and Montange on the left. Right after the houses on the right you will see what looks like an entrance to a two track that quickly becomes some great old-school singletrack. This is the bikes only connector to loop 2. It will take you after 1/2 mile or so to the railroad tracks where you can either join loop 2, or cross the tracks (you have to walk, no level crossing) and then take a connector to loop 3. This connector dives into loop 3 and you take a right to ride it the correct way and experience the wall and the 3 BIG hills. You could also turn left instead which will take you to an old campground and two-track which leads you down to Child's Lake Road and loop 4 (where the previous post brings you in to). The whole trip from downtown to the park is probably about a 2 miles or so, and about 2.5 miles to loop 2. I like to ride to Proud Lake this way and return back via the connector as described above in the earlier post. Makes a nice loop with the Milford trail.

BTW if you pass Burns road on the left, you have missed the connector. No worries, keep going and you will end up at the horse staging area from which you can ride loop 1 (across the bridge by the dead end sign) or loop 2 (down another connector). I would be willing to join anyone for a ride back there.
Hermannator

Postby davedejonge » August 15th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Doogaloo wrote:Thank for the reply. We actually did it the way you described, starting at Milford, taking back roads past the canoe launch and into Proud Lake. Would definetly like to do it again. Not as fast as the group I rode with, but not to far behind.

Check out this map..

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_-YeT ... mRvdG9FcWc

Sounds like you took the yellow section of trail from Garden into loop 2 and exited loop 4 onto the kensington connector.
I'd recommend hitting as much of loop 3 and 4 as you can on your next run thru, I think they are the best loops at PL
davedejonge

Postby mmba119 » August 22nd, 2012, 2:16 pm

Great map! I can't wait to try new trails. What is the approximate distance and time required to do the trip that you describe? Please clarify which loops you are including in your estimate.

MMBA is the best in the Midwest!
mmba119

Postby ihateplaindave » August 22nd, 2012, 2:32 pm

You're a lot better off the first time or two, being with someone who knows this trail. Real easy to lose your way on confusing horse or hiker trails. Plus, many of the MTB trail signs have disappeared.
ihateplaindave

Postby Hermannator » August 24th, 2012, 12:00 pm

I'd be willing to guide anyone out there who wants to explore Proud Lake in the next few weeks.
I realized that in the years I have ridden Proud Lake I have never ridden all 4 loops the same day. I just seem to pick and choose and then it gets dark or I have to go somewhere. My goal before summer ends, ride all 4 loops together with Milford and the K-Connector. Maybe tack on a second Milford and I'd be approaching Iceman distance!
Hermannator

Postby RideHard4430 » July 22nd, 2014, 11:25 am

I'm interested in joining the spoke junkies ! I'm not a big fan of proud lake but I'm always game for Milford and highland!
I'm new to the forums but I've been riding for 3 years and I need to start riding with people my skill level or even preferably higher.
RideHard4430

Return to MCMBA