I-275 Metro Trail

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association topics.

I-275 Metro Trail

Postby johnbailey » March 31st, 2011, 8:06 am

I initially posted this on the Metro-North section, but was told I should re-post here. I'm with the Friends of the I-275 Metro Trail, and we'd like to hear from mountain bikers that use the trail to get to their favorite trails.
johnbailey

Re: I-275 Metro Trail

Postby Loren » March 31st, 2011, 8:12 am

Sure. It runs a mile from my home, and makes a great connector north (like to Lakeshore Park) and south (to Northville, Canton) parks.

Will be even more attractive after Novi builds it's 9 mile road connector pathway to Haggerty (later this year?) and improves a pathway over 96 where the 275 path ends at Meadowbrook.
Loren

Postby jrshome » March 31st, 2011, 8:48 am

I live at the corner of 275 and 9 mile and use the path at least once a week when it is warm. I either use it to get down to Hines to road bike, or to head up to Lakeshore to ride the trail.

The path makes a decent connector trail but has a couple of significant drawbacks. On the north side, it drops you out on Meadowbrook which has no shoulder and heavy traffic in the evenings and going South, the crossing at 8 mile road is horrible to cross. The 7mile and 6mile crossings are better, but still intimidating.

These two factors keep me from taking my kids on the pathway or any riders who are not experienced. This really limits the usability of the trail for me
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby Burglar11 » March 31st, 2011, 10:23 am

I live near 5 mile and Sheldon so I'm right near it but haven't taken the time yet to figure out where I can get on. Is there an access from Hines? 5 mile Rd? I routinely ride Hines but would like to start using this trail as well. I would like to see if/how it gets all the way out to Island Lk. Would also use it with Lakeshore if you can get to the park and avoid sketchy road or areas without sidewalks.
Burglar11

Postby Dirtdevil » April 1st, 2011, 12:17 pm

Burglar11 wrote:I live near 5 mile and Sheldon so I'm right near it but haven't taken the time yet to figure out where I can get on. Is there an access from Hines? 5 mile Rd? I routinely ride Hines but would like to start using this trail as well. I would like to see if/how it gets all the way out to Island Lk. Would also use it with Lakeshore if you can get to the park and avoid sketchy road or areas without sidewalks.

You can access the 275 path from Hines Dr..... as you head east on Hines and go under 275, to your right will be a stone drive... follow that up and you can hook on there to head south on the path towards MI Ave. If you want to head north on 275 you can connect off of Hines just before Northville rd. (the path comes up on your left and you have to make a sharp left to enter) There also is a rogue connecter from 5 mile Rd. Take 5 mile east (ride the sidewalk on the North side of 5 mile) go past Haggerty (the domed golf place will be on your left) and you'll see a path that will take you to the 275 path.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby DeJ » April 1st, 2011, 3:57 pm

I live near Cherry Hill and Lotz in Canton and have been using the bike path a lot lately because the MTB trials still aren’t ready to ride. It’s great how it connects to the Lower Rouge Trail (Morton Taylor trail). I can ride safely to these trails from my house in about ten minutes. It’s also a quick trip to Sweet Bikes, right off the path.

Not sure if you’re looking for some constructive criticism, but here you go:

The sidewalk between the bike path and Lotz along Ford Road, which you have to use to get across Ford, wasn’t resurfaced and is in horrible shape. Not too bad on a mountain bike, but I’m sure it’s not much fun for road bikers or joggers. Maybe this would be the Townships responsibility to fix, I don’t know.
Also, extending the Cherry Hill entrance to Lotz and adding an entrance on Palmer would make the path much more accessible. The Cherry Hill entrance is hidden in the back of an apartment complex and would be hard to find if you didn’t know exactly where it was.

Overall the bike path is great and thanks for helping take care of it.
DeJ

Postby Burglar11 » April 3rd, 2011, 7:14 pm

Thanks dirt devil I finally ventured out today and found the access off Hines. With the exception of wind,, rain and sleet it was great. Was really jonesing to get out it was nice to finally find this. In terms of this original post I'll surely take this out to Island Lk and look forward to checking out sow of the trails to the south.
Burglar11

Postby tcb » April 27th, 2011, 4:33 pm

I will have to check this trail out. Need to get my bike in shape first.
tcb

I-275 Metro Trail

Postby Bento » April 27th, 2011, 6:52 pm

johnbailey wrote:I initially posted this on the Metro-North section, but was told I should re-post here. I'm with the Friends of the I-275 Metro Trail, and we'd like to hear from mountain bikers that use the trail to get to their favorite trails.

John, do you know the time table for the rejuvenation of the "trail" south of Michigan Ave? Currently, as you know, it is unrideable for all but the most determined mountain biker.
Bento

Postby froggyrider » April 27th, 2011, 8:10 pm

We live in Dearborn, and we go on an epic ride on our 29'r mountain bikes/touring bikes once in a while- from Hines to 275, then all the way up and/or down the 275 connecting mountain bike trails, roads, dirt roads plus several bars along the way... or we head down south to the end of 275 downriver and meander back on roads. I know some parts are sketchy on 275 with some pot holes or washed out bridges, but we usually see those spots before we run into them! The spray paint warning of crevices leading to Middle Earth are very much appreciated! :P

Thanks for your post!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Dirtdevil » April 28th, 2011, 7:13 am

Bento wrote:
johnbailey wrote:I initially posted this on the Metro-North section, but was told I should re-post here. I'm with the Friends of the I-275 Metro Trail, and we'd like to hear from mountain bikers that use the trail to get to their favorite trails.

John, do you know the time table for the rejuvenation of the "trail" south of Michigan Ave? Currently, as you know, it is unrideable for all but the most determined mountain biker.

I drive 275 S to 94 daily and have been watching the progress on the 275 path. Right now it's completely unrideable south of MI Ave. They have been focusing on re-building the bridges first (some of them are still completely out) and the asphalt has been dug up so it's all a huge mud/muck/puddle fest. The rains of late have delayed their ability to work on the path this past week so it's completion up to I94 is a ways off.

I've been riding the 275 path from Plymouth into Novi (Meadowbrook Rd.) and back for a good 25 mile loop, and once the trails start to dry eventually ride to the Tree Farm for a lap. I'm also looking forward to heading south from Plymouth to MI Ave. and hit the Morton-Taylor trails then ride back to Ply. Should make for some good mileage. If anyone is interested in joining me on my adventures, PM me. and we'll get it going.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » May 4th, 2011, 8:21 pm

I live in Wixom, and use the trail fairly frequently. Sometimes I ride from home to Trails Edge bike shop, where the trail meets Hines Drive at M-14. More frequently we use the trail on our weekly group rides from the bike shop. It's a great resource to have in the community, and I can't wait for the trail reconstruction to be completed south of Michigan Avenue!
WishIcouldcatchmybreath

I-275 Metro Trail

Postby Bento » March 3rd, 2012, 11:22 pm

I got in a long, for me anyways, ride today. It seemed like a good idea to choose a route that avoids heading into the wind for very long.

I tied together three Metro Parks. Starting with Oakwoods, then Willow and finally Lower Huron. After leaving the park, I rode north up Hannan. Then up the I-275 Metro Trail to just North of Ford Rd.

I was curious what the I-275 Metro Trail was like south of I-94. So I took it from Hannan Rd. on my return leg. Well, my curiosity was satisfied. I will use Lower Huron next time. There was a huge amount of standing water mixed with decaying plant materials of all kinds on the trail. Luckily it was never deeper than my BB. The trail along Northline was like a paved Lakeland Trail (with the hoof prints). I finally bailed through a hole in the fence north of Sibley Rd. The trail maintained by the Metro Parks in contrast was great.

I noticed the I-275 Metro Trail mile marker origin is at Michigan Ave. I wonder why? Does anyone know the time table for rehabilitating the trail south of I-94? Is the stimulus money all gone? Makes sense why Google won't route a bike using that portion of the trail.

Here are some pictures from today's ride:

Tree across trail between Sibley and Pennsylvania facing south:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24397533@N07/6804739232

View to north at down tree:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24397533@N07/6804771968

Mile marker 0.25, North of Michigan:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24397533@N07/6950863899
Bento

Postby bheldke » March 9th, 2012, 1:32 pm

hi all,

MDOT will continue refurbishing the trail in 2012. As you recall, they have most of the work done between Michigan Ave and I94 in 2011 but haven't officially opened it yet and I'm sure this spring once the signs are in it should be open. South of I94 you'll notice the bridges have been re-built all the way to S. Huron River Dr. (Willow Entrance) but the trail itself has not yet been refurbished.

The trail does go into Monroe county from there but the bridges haven't been rebuilt and the trail itself is pretty rough. Maybe some day. I think the current plans for refurbishing end at the Metroparks--that's still 30 miles or so of smooth fast trail and it provides so many access points to other trails, including Hines Dr, the metroparks, etc.

So look forward to a great trail this summer at least down to i94.

Please go here for updates:

http://www.michigantrails.org/projects/i-275-bikeway

Also there is a facebook and yahoo group as well.

The yahoo group is here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/I275bikepath
bennie
bheldke

Return to MCMBA