Pre-expo ride

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Pre-expo ride

Postby SteveF » January 18th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Well, the expo is next sunday--we've done a pre-ride at Anderson the last coupla-three years, but I don't know how rideable it is over there right now. Dave at Sleepy Hollow has been making some noise about maybe grooming that trail for fat bikes. Perhaps we should encourage that and have the ride up there instead?

I was thinking about riding tomorrow (or trying to) and seeing how things are at one or the other. Anyone interested? Anyone ridden one or the other recently and know how conditions are?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Re: Pre-expo ride

Postby bockrona » January 19th, 2014, 10:31 am

I haven't been out, but considering an attempt at a lap of Anderson today.
bockrona

Postby SteveF » January 19th, 2014, 1:05 pm

bockrona wrote:I haven't been out, but considering an attempt at a lap of Anderson today.

Don't bother--I couldn't get going even on the fat bike. It sucks-crusty snow (but not so crusty that you don't break through--just crusty enough to stop you) and frozen, bumpy foot prints. I went cross country skiing at Lake Lansing North instead.
SteveF

Postby bockrona » January 19th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Thanks for the update. I suspected it would be crusty and difficult.

Maybe I should take the kids for a walk and pull them in a sled.
bockrona

Postby SteveF » January 19th, 2014, 2:17 pm

bockrona wrote:Thanks for the update. I suspected it would be crusty and difficult.

Just like me!

Maybe I should take the kids for a walk and pull them in a sled.

Throw a hundred pounds of lead weights in there with them and groom the trail for us while you're at it! :wink:

I enjoyed getting out today, but I'd forgotten how dull cross country skiing is. To be fair, the trail was pretty icy and crappy, and I'm pretty rusty. Can't wait til I can pedal again... I would've just knocked around the neighborhood for an hour or two on the fatbike today if it wasn't for that vicious wind.
SteveF

Postby bockrona » January 19th, 2014, 9:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I managed a walking lap around green with the kiddies. They brought sleds and I pulled a kid the whole way. It was quite a workout. Not sure if it did any good, but at least the trail is visible now. It's a start anyway. Some spots had no traffic as the trail is difficult to follow after two storms and with snow on the ground, things look different.

The kids had a lot of fun sledding the alternative entrance to green with the downhill jump. That spot now has a sled chute from top to bottom.

Have you tried cross country skiing at Groesbeck golf course? That's a pretty nice place to ski. Smooth with some swoopy hills to work up and down and usually a choice of breaking trail or using someone else's. The sled hill there adds some fun too.
bockrona

Postby AllMountin' » January 19th, 2014, 10:38 pm

On the location for an expo ride: I think it only really works at Anderson due to the proximity to the expo location. I think if you move it that far away, fewer people will make the ride.

Besides, he's entertaining thoughts of grooming it, but it's not currently groomed. Conditions may be no better there, but the mileage is higher.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby SteveF » January 20th, 2014, 7:49 am

AllMountin' wrote:On the location for an expo ride: I think it only really works at Anderson due to the proximity to the expo location. I think if you move it that far away, fewer people will make the ride.

Besides, he's entertaining thoughts of grooming it, but it's not currently groomed. Conditions may be no better there, but the mileage is higher.

Yeah, moving it would be less convenient for Expo attendees, truth. Though we only had 3-4 out of towners last year so I don't know how much lower it could go.

bockrona wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I managed a walking lap around green with the kiddies. They brought sleds and I pulled a kid the whole way. It was quite a workout. Not sure if it did any good, but at least the trail is visible now. It's a start anyway. Some spots had no traffic as the trail is difficult to follow after two storms and with snow on the ground, things look different.

The kids had a lot of fun sledding the alternative entrance to green with the downhill jump. That spot now has a sled chute from top to bottom.

Have you tried cross country skiing at Groesbeck golf course? That's a pretty nice place to ski. Smooth with some swoopy hills to work up and down and usually a choice of breaking trail or using someone else's. The sled hill there adds some fun too.

I'd rather ski in the woods-golf courses are even more boring in the winter than in the summer! :wink:
SteveF

Postby gtrowbridge » January 24th, 2014, 10:13 am

So is this a wash this year?
I didn't hear about it past years, but am so desperate to fat bike that if I get a hall pass to go to the expo I would be up for this as well.

I think its funny that we actually have a real "winter" this year where we are unprepared to handle the snow quantity/quality for winter biking.
Even my Moonlander can't float enough in the stuff this year to get going.

I stopped XC skiing and got the moonlander because there wasn't enough snow to warrant skiing. This year. Opposite....but I'd much rather ride my bike.

Like here:
http://vimeo.com/80405173
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby SteveF » January 24th, 2014, 12:00 pm

gtrowbridge wrote:So is this a wash this year?
I didn't hear about it past years, but am so desperate to fat bike that if I get a hall pass to go to the expo I would be up for this as well.

I think its funny that we actually have a real "winter" this year where we are unprepared to handle the snow quantity/quality for winter biking.

I stopped XC skiing and got the moonlander because there wasn't enough snow to warrant skiing. This year. Opposite....but I'd much rather ride my bike.

Like here:

I'm not inclined to try, since we're getting a coupla-three more inches between now and then. Skiing is a better bet if you have some. There's also a couple of places nearby that rent them. Even a dirt road ride seems unlikely, since it's going to be single digits and windy. I'm with you, man-rather ride--but there's a limit to my fortitude. :lol: :cry:
SteveF

Postby gtrowbridge » January 24th, 2014, 2:23 pm

SteveF wrote:
gtrowbridge wrote:So is this a wash this year?

Like here:

I'm not inclined to try, since we're getting a coupla-three more inches between now and then. Skiing is a better bet if you have some. There's also a couple of places nearby that rent them. Even a dirt road ride seems unlikely, since it's going to be single digits and windy. I'm with you, man-rather ride--but there's a limit to my fortitude. :lol: :cry:

Tuesday did a lunch ride on the Grand River Valley Rail Trail from Saranac to the Ionia State Rec Area. It was 8 degrees. Solid sun and almost no wind. Trail was rough from the boots that created it but solid. Only 6 mile trip but almost spiritual this time of year. It was worth skipping work and taking a long lunch. :P
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Return to MMMBA