Torn shirt- Torn skin!! Smoked a huge tree dead on video...

This forum is dedicated to interesting stories about your last ride. Don't be surprised if our newsletters asks to publish your story in our new newsletter.

Re: Torn shirt- Torn skin!! Smoked a huge tree dead on video

Postby ColorVoyeur » July 4th, 2013, 11:46 am

AllMountin' wrote:Fastest over the short distance goes to the most skilled(better) rider. Faster over a long distance makes one a better racer. The two are very different. XC racing is almost always fitness over skill.

Fitness is a good thing; I'm not knocking it. XC MTB racing is but a sliver of MTBing as a whole. I am faster than a lot of people who are better riders than me.

This, but there are aspects of fitness for being fast on short distances that are not related to endurance. You can't be the more skilled rider without the strength to back up that riding style.
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby rvd » July 4th, 2013, 12:32 pm

AllMountin' wrote:I am faster than a lot of people who are better riders than me.

This statement will make me enjoy our ride this afternoon that much more ;-)
rvd

Postby iamkickstand » July 4th, 2013, 1:24 pm

AllMountin' wrote:
kyleRIG29er wrote: Most people you see on that strava segment are running it during a much longer ride. (Most beginner races are 10-15 miles in distance.) So essentially it's like you bragging about being fast on one section of the race. (Especially when your improved time still puts you mid pack in the rankings.) Keep riding, work on doing longer rides, even if it's just for fitness as 30 minutes isn't a very long sustained workout.

Fastest over the short distance goes to the most skilled(better) rider. Faster over a long distance makes one a better racer. The two are very different. XC racing is almost always fitness over skill.

Fitness is a good thing; I'm not knocking it. XC MTB racing is but a sliver of MTBing as a whole. I am faster than a lot of people who are better riders than me.

in general I agree with what you're saying.

FItness still plays a factor, unless we are talking about sections that are only 10-30 seconds long.
iamkickstand

Postby b_b » July 5th, 2013, 11:33 am

Haha when I first started I was plenty fast DOWN hill with my dirt bike experience not so much going up. Would pass people going down and then they'd pass me going up. :)
b_b

Postby CraveSingletrack » July 8th, 2013, 11:13 am

I went and checked out Torn Shirt before my pre-ride of Murray Lake loop for the race. Not a bad little trail, was muddy and tough on an SS. (Some of those abrupt climbs were killers.)

http://app.strava.com/activities/65483334#1249811815
CraveSingletrack

Postby stuntbikejustin » July 8th, 2013, 8:47 pm

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=119788 check the classifieds got a new shirt for torn shirt :)
stuntbikejustin

Previous

Return to Tales from the Trail