MMCC Trail Day - Saturday April 19th

Trail Building and Design discussion. This was formerly the restricted access MMBA/REI trail school program forum.

MMCC Trail Day - Saturday April 19th

Postby shoffman » March 20th, 2014, 11:00 am

Trail day at Mid Michigan Community College (MMCC)- Saturday, April 19th at 9am. Meet at main parking lot .

Clearing existing trails from winter damage.

Tools needed: rakes, loppers, hand saws and chainsaws to clear dead fall and low hanging branches.

Questions: contact stevehoffman813@gmail.com
Last edited by shoffman on March 20th, 2014, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoffman

Re: MMCC Trail Day - Saturday April 19th

Postby Zoo1424 » March 20th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Thanks Steve. Marked it on my calendar.
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby shoffman » April 17th, 2014, 7:20 am

Blowers/leaf rakes and whatever you have to remove roots from the trail is most needed for Saturday.

We plan to ride after finishing (around noon), so bring your bike if interested. Thanks for your help!
shoffman

Postby jfactor! » April 17th, 2014, 10:36 am

shoffman wrote:whatever you have to remove roots from the trail is most needed for Saturday.

There's a really nice rail trail from Midland all the way to Clare. May as well ride that instead.
jfactor!

Postby F7Cannon » April 17th, 2014, 8:01 pm

shoffman wrote: whatever you have to remove roots from the trail is most needed for Saturday.

Ok this has got to be a joke, I get it. If it's not all I can say is WTF??? :roll:

I really like this trail and usually hit it when I go up to visit the inlaws being that they only live 20 min away. If this is the kind of crap that is going to be going on out there now I will drive the extra miles to ride Hanson Hills.
08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-441 Geared-889 Road Bike-211
F7Cannon

Postby shoffman » April 17th, 2014, 8:11 pm

F7Cannon wrote:
shoffman wrote: whatever you have to remove roots from the trail is most needed for Saturday.

Ok this has got to be a joke, I get it. If it's not all I can say is WTF??? :roll:

I really like this trail and usually hit it when I go up to visit the inlaws being that they only live 20 min away. If this is the kind of crap that is going to be going on out there now I will drive the extra miles to ride Hanson Hills.

Relax guys... there are a couple of roots in a few different sections that we'd like to clean up... thats all.
shoffman

Postby F7Cannon » April 17th, 2014, 8:36 pm

shoffman wrote:
F7Cannon wrote:

Relax guys... there are a couple of roots in a few different sections that we'd like to clean up... thats all.

Exactly, and before you know it you have another MTB trail that is smooth as a baby's but and can be ridden by 90 year old women on a comfort bike with no problem.
08 Trek 6000
11 MARIN Lombard

F7Cannon

Postby jfactor! » April 18th, 2014, 8:34 am

F7Cannon wrote:
shoffman wrote:
F7Cannon wrote:

Exactly, and before you know it you have another MTB trail that is smooth as a baby's but and can be ridden by 90 year old women on a comfort bike with no problem.

^This
jfactor!

Postby jlrotax583 » April 20th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Trails in fantastic shape! Should be a great race this Saturday.

-Jon
Assistant to the Traveling Secretary and Semi-Official TC Gopher-MMCC/Stubway
jlrotax583

Postby dirt » April 21st, 2014, 10:12 am

jfactor! wrote:
F7Cannon wrote:
shoffman wrote:
F7Cannon wrote:

^This

THIS is something that has been discussed ad nauseum, and the fact that it keeps coming up is frankly frustrating.

Typically, exposed roots are NOT part of the original trail design. Soil on the trail tread compacts, and the roots become exposed. Left like that without any maintenance, results in further root exposes, since the exposes roots often now will channel water runoff, causing erosion, further exposing the roots. In the end, the roots become totally exposed, the roots die, and end up breaking off.

Proper maintenance is to keep materials covering the roots, so that this cycle doesn't happen. Often, roots end up just being removed because they have already started down the path of becoming too exposed and starting to die. Another solution is to often armor the roots, so that they will survive having a trail run over them.

But, the most important point is these roots are most often NOT part of the trail as it was designed, and suggesting that they are left along is just suggesting that trails should NOT be maintained, and just allowed to erode and wash away.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby jlrotax583 » April 21st, 2014, 9:17 pm

Thanks Nick!
Frustrating considering how much time some have put into trail work everywhere.
Lots of negativity in society today and MTB is not immune.

In addition to the erosion aspects, what some fail to realize is that some
trails (read semi-private)need to be accessible to a wide range of bike skill and equipment.
We want every one to be able to enjoy the trail
safely, and if that means shaving a few roots now and then that's what will be done.
Good stewardship of any trail should ensure that it will be there for a long time.

Lastly, we will always consider ideas and constructive criticism, but if its not something you would say over a beer after a ride, keep it to yourself.
- Jon Lehner (TC gopher-MMCC,Stubway )
jlrotax583

Postby F7Cannon » April 22nd, 2014, 4:29 pm

jlrotax583 wrote:Thanks Nick!
Frustrating considering how much time some have put into trail work everywhere.
Lots of negativity in society today and MTB is not immune.

In addition to the erosion aspects, what some fail to realize is that some
trails (read semi-private)need to be accessible to a wide range of bike skill and equipment.
We want every one to be able to enjoy the trail
safely, and if that means shaving a few roots now and then that's what will be done.
Good stewardship of any trail should ensure that it will be there for a long time.

Lastly, we will always consider ideas and constructive criticism, but if its not something you would say over a beer after a ride, keep it to yourself.
- Jon Lehner (TC gopher-MMCC,Stubway )

When somebody posts bring whatever you have to remove roots from the trail I am sure you can understand where we are coming from with our comments. Makes it sound like you are having a root removal party! The same thing that we try to stop people from doing at our local trails. Unarthorized removal of rocks, roots, and log piles or stunts is something we deal with on a regular basis. If this was just the removal of a few roots due to an erosion isue than I understand and retract my previous statements.

And lastly there is nothing that I would say on here or on any other forum that I would not say to somebody in person over a beer after a ride. :-)
08 Trek 6000
11 MARIN Lombard

F7Cannon

Postby jlrotax583 » April 22nd, 2014, 8:56 pm

Shaun, I think we are on the same page now.
MMCC will probably always be a fast "fitness" type course with little to no tech sections, and I think most of the people who ride it regularly are ok with that, as it lends itself to most skill levels.
If your headed up this way, shoot me a email and we can ride, then beat a dead horse over pops.
- Jon
jlrotax583@sbcglobal(dot)net
jlrotax583

Postby F7Cannon » April 23rd, 2014, 1:47 pm

Sure thing man! Don't get up that way to often to ride but I know for sure we will be up there in late July right around the corner in Marion for a few days.
08 Trek 6000
11 MARIN Lombard

F7Cannon

Return to Trail Design, Building, and Maintenance