Canton MT Trail Day 4-24

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Canton MT Trail Day 4-24

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm

I realize this is short notice, but I would like to get some help cutting two reroutes on a brand new section of trail this coming Saturday morning April 24th. (see the Morton-Taylor trail guide for directions)
We will be meeting in the main parking lot at 9:30am and going from there out to the west loop extension. Things to bring would be water, gloves, safety glasses, a leaf rake and some energy.
I will bring some trail tools along if you forget to bring something.
You can also bring your bike along if you want to ride afterwards, I think the west loop still has muddy spots, but the south and east loops are good to go.

SC 8) (Gary)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Re: Canton MT Trail Day 4-24

Postby DeJ » April 22nd, 2010, 7:06 am

Count me in. I'll see ya there Gary.
DeJ

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 22nd, 2010, 11:33 am

Thanks Mike ! See you there. Looks like we will have decent weather.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 24th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Well, the weather this morning wasn't looking so great, but I headed out to meet whoever was going to show up, was willing to work in the rain if necessary and the weather gods deemed to smile upon us as it stopped raining at 10am.

I had three hardworking volunteers show up and we accomplished everything that I had planned on getting done !
I would like to personally thank those that sacrificed their Saturday morning to come out and help for four hours:
Mike (DeJ), Tom (tcb) and Rich Faunce (no screen name). We cut two new reroutes, one long, one short and built three nice log piles on the new West loop extension - Lucky Dawg. The new trail looks great, the log piles are great,
they helped to make this trail that much closer to being ready to ride and added a cool addition to the West loop !

An added bonus was Mike coming across a special find while we were working on one section - get this, a very old Michigan license plate in relatively good shape from 1914 ! How in the heck did this get back in the woods ? I just happen to be a part time license plate collector and will proudly add this one to my collection as my oldest plate.

Thanks so much again guys !
SC 8)
Last edited by SANTA_CRUZ on April 25th, 2010, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby froggyrider » April 24th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Did you get a pic of the 1914 plate? I'd love to see that! I need to get out there to rider sometime now that my Knee is healed! Maybe I can find some treasures/ :wink:
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 25th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Hey Claudia, no I haven't taken a picture of it yet, but maybe I will soon and put it on the site.
Glad to hear that your knee is healed and let me know when you want to come out riding, if you let me know ahead of time, I can meet you there and give you a guided tour, it's come a long way since the last time you and Frank were out.
You might get lucky and find another treasure, but usually all I've found in the past is old shotgun shells, beer bottles and barbed wire, etc.

SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Return to Volunteers Needed