Bennett Park Trail Day, April 24th

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Bennett Park Trail Day, April 24th

Postby jacked » March 31st, 2010, 11:10 am

BP trail day is April 24th and 25th if needed. Trying to fit a weekend in between Brads work at Anderson and Jeff's at Burchfield is challenging. Number2 has Saturday the 24th available so that is the day.

The primary goal is to clean up the mess in the hardwoods at the mud hole that has been turned in to a half @ssed log road. As well as a couple of small re-routs, trail extension, log pile modification, etc.
As with any trail day, the list of items is much greater than the number of people who show up, so please prove me wrong!

The trail is amazingly dry and in good shape right now. The usual face slappers and dead falls after the winter are there, but in great shape.
The experiment to leave the leaves definitely points to leaving them on the trails, which means a lot less work in the fall.

More info to come.

David
BP TC
jacked

Re: Bennett Park Trail Day, April 24th

Postby ldeyoung » April 19th, 2010, 12:21 pm

Any more details? I should be able to make it!
ldeyoung

Postby jacked » April 21st, 2010, 8:44 pm

ldeyoung wrote:Any more details? I should be able to make it!

Well now that you ask! Saturday Morning, April 24th. 9:00 A.M. start time. Meet at the marque and well spread out from there. Lunch will be in the 12:00 to 1:00 range. Dogs and brats on the grill. I will supply the meet, buns and condiments and water (maybe even a little cytomax). Feel free to bring a little something to share.

There is something for everyone to do. Right now the trails are in great shape but need a little spring TLC. These are a few of the main things I would like to take care of.
-Fix the log/mud hole (dry right now) in the hardwoods.
-Berm/bank one short section on Trillium Road where the big tree fell last fall.
-Clear the half dozen or so logs that have fallen across the trail in various places.
-Remove a few small stumps in Jungle 1 and the Hardwoods.
-Remove the tree in the Gully that has been flagged since last fall. Rideable, but it should come out.
-Signs... Re-install the trail head sign (it has been returned to the trail head) as well as put up a mess of directional signs.
-Improve or remove Johns log pile in the pines.
-The usual face slappers trimming and general maintenance.
-And if there is time and an abundance of people.... we have a short section to cut in the hardwoods. But that is low priority.

I have all day available and half of Sunday. I would like to work till 4-6 depending on how things go. I will post up Saturday evening if Sunday afternoon is needed.

Please pm me or post up if you are planning on attending so I can get an idea on the quantity of food.

Tools.... Bring your usual trail tools. A chain saw or two would be helpful as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

David
BP TC
jacked

Postby jacked » April 23rd, 2010, 8:31 am

Bump.

See you Saturday.
jacked

Postby jacked » April 24th, 2010, 1:59 pm

Thanks to those who showed up. We got most of the items on my list taken care of and the rest I can take care of before the poker run. Brats were good. Beer would have been nice, but we were playing by the rules and Jon did not have enough to share with everyone. The mud hole/pile of branches in the hardwoods is now an official raised trail cover in wet clay. Careful as that works in. The berm on Trillium is nice, although it could be lengthened at sometime in the future. I think we got most if all of the dead stuff and debris

Thanks again,

David
jacked

Postby jonw9 » April 24th, 2010, 3:27 pm

It looks good out there Dave. Now get some sleep!
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby jacked » April 24th, 2010, 8:52 pm

When will I learn that I don't fall asleep watching movies?
Thanks again guys, especially for letting me "cook" while you all worked. When you fall asleep on top of the concrete road barrier you might be a little tired.
The cool thing was it allowed me to find the woodpecker nest. That was one of the coolest parts of the day, that and realizing that I might need a new fork.

And to confirm, no trail day on Sunday, 4/25.

David
jacked

Return to Volunteers Needed