Attention Brandon Township cyclists

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Re: Why a new trail?

Postby chris_werth » January 24th, 2007, 7:35 am

Roy wrote:Why a new trail when the Old Ortonville trail might still exist? To get there: from M15 turn right on Oakwood, after 1 mile turn left on Sands, go about 3/4 mile, go right on State Park rd, Bloomer # 3 in on left. The trail started on the right side of this parking lot and went counter clock wise. It was a 5 mile trail with 250 feet elevation gain (flat). Maybe the new area is more intersting or hilly?
I am just asking the question! The old trail might not exist; I last rode it in 1997.

Roy

The old trail does still exsist and it wasn't bad in the late 80's thru some of the 90's. However, the horse back riders have really had a field day back there and have torn the trail up bad. Plus nobody has probably maintained that area since 1997. The reason for the possiblility of a new trail is that the land is owned by the city of Ortonville and something about the deed states it is supposed to used for recreational purposes. So a committee has been made up, the trail has been proposed to the council
and it is in it's ealy stage to get built. A resident did tell me that there are trails back there that "kids" have made themselfs to get them back in forth to the local school.
chris_werth

Hickory Glen

Postby Roy » January 25th, 2007, 7:08 am

Chris,
If some locals are having trouble with a Trail you might point to Hickory Glen to show how the existance of that tail has reduced dumping and motor bikes. I am sure MMBA can support you with a good case for the trial. Even at Stoney the trail has cut down on undesired activity (camp fires, bandit trails) You mentioned that school kids are cutting trials to get to school. That is not always good.
Roy
Roy

Re: Hickory Glen

Postby chris_werth » January 25th, 2007, 7:48 am

Roy wrote:Chris,
If some locals are having trouble with a Trail you might point to Hickory Glen to show how the existance of that tail has reduced dumping and motor bikes. I am sure MMBA can support you with a good case for the trial. Even at Stoney the trail has cut down on undesired activity (camp fires, bandit trails) You mentioned that school kids are cutting trials to get to school. That is not always good.
Roy

Roy, that is a great idea about how it could reduce dumping and motor bikes. I will pass this info on to Lois.

Thanks.
chris_werth

Postby Pauly » January 25th, 2007, 5:00 pm

I would not mind getting a hold of the area kids and ask them to get involved . It is much of the same thing I have done at Addison over the years . That way they feel as though it's there trail and not a bunch of grown-ups . Take in some of there ideas and make the trail work so they don't need to secondary trails to get home from school . This way there parents may feel better about the trail . I can hardly wait to check out the area does anyone want to check it sat.around noon .
Pauly
Pauly

Postby chris_werth » January 25th, 2007, 5:03 pm

Pauly wrote:I would not mind getting a hold of the area kids and ask them to get involved . It is much of the same thing I have done at Addison over the years . That way they feel as though it's there trail and not a bunch of grown-ups . Take in some of there ideas and make the trail work so they don't need to secondary trails to get home from school . This way there parents may feel better about the trail . I can hardly wait to check out the area does anyone want to check it sat.around noon .

Pauly, that is a great idea. Maybe they could post something at the local school to get the kids involved. Good thinking.
chris_werth

Postby turbotoad » January 25th, 2007, 7:52 pm

FWIW here is an areal photo of the proposed trail area. It appears a great portion of it (most of the center and NW section) could be low/wet land. I marked the residential areas with yellow borders to get some idea of the size limitations. It doesn't look very "roomy" if the center area is unusable to support a trailbed. A walk through is definetly recommended to see if this is even worth getting more involved in.

turbotoad

Postby Pauly » January 27th, 2007, 8:02 am

Great a map I will be heading out in a few minutes to check it out . Thanks so much for the info. turbo . I will take a camera and get some pictures on line this afternoon .
Pauly
Pauly

Postby Pauly » February 1st, 2007, 5:56 pm

It has been 6 day's since I ventured out to check out the area . I took some pictures but my son hasn't uploaded them yet , time to crack the whip . The area is small and pretty wet the stream is big enough to call a river so I found a fallen tree to make my way across to the main area . I dug threw the snow and ice to find black soil in a few spots this will not be suitable for us .There is some stuff that we could use higher ground areas that looks like an old road that has grown back in . Then a small area of woods then a second stream crossing then it heads down hill towards wet lands . I didn't walk the area after the second steam crossing as it was pretty thick with branches and ground cover . There was a lot of deer tracks and a set of tracks that I'm not to sure what had left then . All in all we may be able to squeeze 3 miles of trail out of this area it all depends on how wet the second area is . We will have to wait to spring to see if they can get some free wood from the local lumber yard .
Pauly
Pauly

Postby brokenbones » March 22nd, 2007, 8:47 pm

Mrs. BrokenBones attended one of the first meetings on this proposed trail a couple of months ago. Since then we've been on the mailing list and got this meeting notice a day or two ago. If you're interested in attending or checking out the progress, I've pasted the text of the message below. 'Bones.

Nancy Krupiarz, Director of the Michigan Trails and Greenways, will be with us at 7:00 PM next Tuesday, March 27, at the Old Township Hall, for a working meeting, to share information and help us with strategic planning for the proposed trail on Ortonville Village property. This will be a great opportunity to gather information and receive the benefit of Nancy's years of experience in helping towns like Ortonville organize trail efforts. This is not an open forum or hearing, but trail supporters are welcome.

Please try to attend this critical meeting, and bring any Brandon Township friends who you know would like to see a trail in Ortonville. We hope to see you then.
'Bones
brokenbones

Re: Attention Brandon Township cyclists

Postby bikesatori » March 1st, 2011, 2:13 am

just kind of curious if this ever lead anywhere.... I just got back to the Ortonville area recently...
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby chris_werth » March 15th, 2011, 8:51 am

bikesatori wrote:just kind of curious if this ever lead anywhere.... I just got back to the Ortonville area recently...

Not that I have heard. Krug would probably be the best person to contact on this. You might want to send him a pm asking.
http://www.dubzbikesandboards.com

To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Postby brokenbones » March 15th, 2011, 8:33 pm

I can't speak as an Official on the subject, but in my estimation, the proposal is as good as dead. There was a perfect storm of events that lead to its death; Elections resulted in a "changing of the guard" at the Township so some individuals close-to or familiar-with the project moved on. The new electees didn't pick up the ball. The economy tanked and severe budgetary constraints put any new projects or expenditures on the "not gonna happen" list. A few very vocal residents on the adjoining properties successfully painted outside trail users as "dangerous" to children (drug pushers, child molesters), when in reality they really wanted to continue using the property as their own private hunting reserve. And finally, in all fairness, once a closer look was taken at the land, it was found to be pretty wet, so it might not be worth the effort for the short trail that would result.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby bikesatori » March 16th, 2011, 11:20 am

gotcha, thanks for the cliffnotes update!

Well then, so who's up for proposing some new trail cutting at bloomer #3 to the dnre???
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Previous

Return to Volunteers Needed