Attention Brandon Township cyclists

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Attention Brandon Township cyclists

Postby Todd Scott » October 11th, 2006, 10:13 am

The Brandon Township is looking for resident cyclists to help them push some trail initiatives within the township. If you're interested or want more information, contact Lois Robbins at 248.969.2518 or lois@robbinsmail.com
Todd Scott

Re: Attention Brandon Township cyclists

Postby chris_werth » November 13th, 2006, 10:39 am

Todd Scott wrote:The Brandon Township is looking for resident cyclists to help them push some trail initiatives within the township. If you're interested or want more information, contact Lois Robbins at 248.969.2518 or lois@robbinsmail.com

I spoke with Lois today and offered my assistance along with whoever else would like to help put this new trail in. She told me the property is right in the city of Ortonville and the corner of Church street and Mill street. It is on 60 acres of land. They are still in the process of sorting out where they want the trail. I will post when I get more information. She was very excited to hear that the MMBA was helping spread the word.
chris_werth

Postby chris_werth » January 16th, 2007, 11:29 am

We've run into opposition to our trail plans in Ortonville - adjacent property owners, as might be expected. The trail is on the Village Council's agenda for next Monday evening, 1/22 at 7:30 PM in the Old Township Hall, a historic building next to the Village offices, at the SW corner of Mill and Church Streets. We're hoping to turn out a good number of trail supporters for this meeting.

Looking for some support from MMBA member. I'm going to try and make it out.
chris_werth

Postby KRUG » January 16th, 2007, 1:21 pm

I live in Ortonville and will try to be there.
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby drmoorejr » January 16th, 2007, 1:50 pm

chris_werth wrote:We're hoping to turn out a good number of trail supporters for this meeting.

Looking for some support from MMBA member. I'm going to try and make it out.

I have it in my Calendar. As long as I have no Tech issues from Work I will try to make it out there. How about a map (link to a map)?

Regards
--

Live Free or Die.
drmoorejr

Postby Pauly » January 20th, 2007, 3:19 pm

Can I follow you there Chris , we could meet up so I don't get lost as usual .Or tell me more specific directions from M-15 .
Pauly
Pauly

Postby chris_werth » January 22nd, 2007, 9:27 am

Pauly wrote:Can I follow you there Chris , we could meet up so I don't get lost as usual .Or tell me more specific directions from M-15 .

Directions coming up M-15. M-15 north to Mill street, turn right (east) if you turn left it appears to be Grange Hall road. Take Mill street down to the intersection of Church Street. The Township Hall should be on the South West corner. I really can't give much more info, however, I do know there is a A&W rootbeer drive in on the way to Mill Street up M-15. So if you go by it, you going the right way.

Coming from M-24, take Oakwood road West, just before you get to Ortonville, look for Church street on the left, turn left (south) that will take you to Mill street as well.

Krug, can you give anymore details then this ??
chris_werth

Postby KRUG » January 22nd, 2007, 12:03 pm

If you are coming from the south on M-15 look for the Citco gas station (just after Brandon Tire shop) on the right. Take South St. too the right at a 45 deg. angle. A&W is just past South St. Follow South st. until you get to Mill st. (stop light) and turn right onto Mill St.

From Oakwood Rd. Look for Church St. on the left once the speed limit goes down. There is a sign for downtown Ortonville also. Go about two blocks and you will hit Mill St. at the stop sign. The Township office is right there.
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby chris_werth » January 22nd, 2007, 12:06 pm

KRUG wrote:If you are coming from the south on M-15 look for the Citco gas station (just after Brandon Tire shop) on the right. Take South St. too the right at a 45 deg. angle. A&W is just past South St. Follow South st. until you get to Mill st. (stop light) and turn right onto Mill St.

From Oakwood Rd. Look for Church St. on the left once the speed limit goes down. There is a sign for downtown Ortonville also. Go about two blocks and you will hit Mill St. at the stop sign. The Township office is right there.

Thanks Krug. :D
chris_werth

Postby Pauly » January 22nd, 2007, 4:45 pm

chris_werth wrote:
Pauly wrote:Can I follow you there Chris , we could meet up so I don't get lost as usual .Or tell me more specific directions from M-15 .

Directions coming up M-15. M-15 north to Mill street, turn right (east) if you turn left it appears to be Grange Hall road. Take Mill street down to the intersection of Church Street. The Township Hall should be on the South West corner. I really can't give much more info, however, I do know there is a A&W rootbeer drive in on the way to Mill Street up M-15. So if you go by it, you going the right way.

Coming from M-24, take Oakwood road West, just before you get to Ortonville, look for Church street on the left, turn left (south) that will take you to Mill street as well.

Krug, can you give anymore details then this ??

thanks!
Pauly
Pauly

Postby turbotoad » January 22nd, 2007, 9:22 pm

Well, from the tone of the hall meeting it looks like this trail will be an uphill battle to say the least.
turbotoad

Postby chris_werth » January 22nd, 2007, 9:49 pm

turbotoad wrote:Well, from the tone of the hall meeting it looks like this trail will be an uphill battle to say the least.

I agree with that. :(

Here is a break down of what went down. I will keep it short.

The homeowners that back up to the property are really, really, against
a trail going in there. The impression I have of the group that represented the subdivision at the meeting are your typical group of people that don't do a lot of outdoor activities. They were all bringing up the typical questions that people that don't use trails would have. They were highly suprised when a man spoke up and told them that on the average house value increases when it is near a trail system. Duh.

Another main concern was all about the money, who is paying for what, where is the money coming from, who is going to maintain the trail, what is it going to cost, etc. The idea of people volunteering never came up. I approached the council with this, but was shot down before I could get the comment out of my mouth.
The homeowners thoughts are with such great trails like Bloomer #3 or #4 up the road (yeah right, if you want to ride in horse *beep*) why does Ortonville need another trail system. The people for the trail made a comment on the amount of possible revenue a good trail can bring in to the area, etc.

Hunting is another big concern for some reason.

Another up hill battle is the actual city council of Ortonville, talk about the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. The trail committee is really going to have to have all it's ducks in a row, all the "t's" crossed and the "i's" dotted to get this to happen. It is going to be one wicked max heart rate climb to get this to happen.

Pauly and Krug are going to take a venture out on the property to see if it is even worth getting involved in. There was talk of a lot of wet land and bridges needing to be built.

Stay tuned, I will pass on anymore info I might come across.

Thanks again to Pauly, Krug, Todd (Floyd) and Turbo Toad for showing up.
chris_werth

Postby turbotoad » January 22nd, 2007, 11:58 pm

chris_werth wrote:
turbotoad wrote:Well, from the tone of the hall meeting it looks like this trail will be an uphill battle to say the least.

The idea of people volunteering never came up. I approached the council with this, but was shot down before I could get the comment out of my mouth.

Actually chris, I remember Lois saying something about the trail not costing the village any money because they (Lois) figured everything could be done by volunteers. I remember that because the woman sitting next to me (the one who kept railing on the counsil) let out an audible Phfssst... when it was mentioned.

At any rate, this thing is in it's infancy an has a long way to go. It should be interesting.

Todd
turbotoad

Postby chris_werth » January 23rd, 2007, 7:59 am

turbotoad wrote:
chris_werth wrote:

The idea of people volunteering never came up. I approached the council with this, but was shot down before I could get the comment out of my mouth.

Actually chris, I remember Lois saying something about the trail not costing the village any money because they (Lois) figured everything could be done by volunteers. I remember that because the woman sitting next to me (the one who kept railing on the counsil) let out an audible Phfssst... when it was mentioned.

At any rate, this thing is in it's infancy an has a long way to go. It should be interesting.

Todd

You are correct Todd, I wasn't clear in my posting. I was still a little rattled from the meeting. I ment to say, the subdivision was concerned about money, who was going to pay for it, maintain it, etc.
chris_werth

Why a new trail?

Postby Roy » January 24th, 2007, 6:44 am

Why a new trail when the Old Ortonville trail might still exist? To get there: from M15 turn right on Oakwood, after 1 mile turn left on Sands, go about 3/4 mile, go right on State Park rd, Bloomer # 3 in on left. The trail started on the right side of this parking lot and went counter clock wise. It was a 5 mile trail with 250 feet elevation gain (flat). Maybe the new area is more intersting or hilly?
I am just asking the question! The old trail might not exist; I last rode it in 1997.

Roy
Roy

Next

Return to Volunteers Needed