Holdridge Trail Day, March 19th, Chainsaws and Chili

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Holdridge Trail Day, March 19th, Chainsaws and Chili

Postby Ginger! » March 15th, 2005, 12:23 pm

Holdridge Trail Day: Saturday March 19th , 9am -1pm
Chainsaws and Chili, Get your FAFL hours in early!

Bring your chainsaws and loppers, and winter wear, the trails themselves may be icy right now so plan accordingly. Bring a friend too!

The Turtle trail had at least 7 chainsaw type trees down and the West Loop also had about 7 downed trees all before the Wall. We have no report on the Tech Loop, the Lakeshore Loop, or Gruber’s Grinder, but I suspect the same ratio of trees down.

The North still has overhanging brush that needs to be cut back.

Our priority for this trail day will be cutting downed trees off the trail and clearing the North Loop of overhanging brush.

We’ll have Chili on the stove for lunch!

If you have questions or comments, email me at hollyflint@mmba.org

See you on the trail!
Mary Ann
The rider known as M_A_Martin
Ginger!

Postby Dan_Harrison » March 15th, 2005, 2:15 pm

I'll be there. Fun in the mud.
Dan
Dan_Harrison

Postby MountainMike » March 15th, 2005, 3:32 pm

Finally a Holdridge trailday that I have the day off for! I don't have any equipment though, will there be some way I can contribute?
~Mike

Every reality was once a possibility
MountainMike

Postby Sherpaboy » March 15th, 2005, 4:27 pm

Yes...there is always a need for help.
Trail's Edge Cyclery - We Are Bike Geeks!
Milford - 248.714.9355
Plymouth - 734.420.1200 (NEW LOCATION)
29er, Full suspension, Road, Cross, Family...and much more
Sherpaboy

Postby MountainMike » March 15th, 2005, 4:47 pm

Sherpaboy wrote:Yes...there is always a need for help.

Cool, I'll see you there then Mike.
~Mike

Every reality was once a possibility
MountainMike

Postby Dan_Harrison » March 16th, 2005, 7:34 pm

MountainMike wrote:Finally a Holdridge trailday that I have the day off for! I don't have any equipment though, will there be some way I can contribute?

Definitely. Each sawyer should have 1 or 2 guys working with him. They stay away from the saw, but clear the cut stuff away. It makes the work safer and faster. Besides the regular work grubbies, a pair of safety glasses and ear protection (plugs or muffs) are good things to bring. Heavy work boots protect tender tootsies, and good leather work gloves prevent pinched pinkies.
Dan
Dan_Harrison

Postby Ginger! » March 17th, 2005, 8:18 am

Yep, We can always use more help! Dan is spot on with our usual chainsaw crew setup. One sawyer and One or two (preferrably two) helpers.

And, if we have extra people outside the chainsaw teams, we have brush to be cleared with loppers on the North loop!

I do have reports of snow on the trail, so my ice advisory might be correct...but at 45 degrees predicted on Saturday, Dan's mud prediction is probably spot on as well.
Ginger!

Postby bOOger » March 18th, 2005, 2:30 pm

how will we be accessing the trail? Bikes with bob trailers or hoofing it? I can do either, but want to make sure i bring my trailer if needed.
"Insanity is repeating the same mistake over and over while expecting a different result." - A sane person
Ask me about the Michigan Mountain Bike Patrol
bOOger

Postby KRUG » March 18th, 2005, 2:40 pm

I plan going by foot. I may bring a trailer to haul my chiansaw and other tools though. I modified my Burely to have a pull handle and would like to give it a try. I think the trail will be too messy for biking it.
KRUG

Postby bOOger » March 19th, 2005, 8:46 am

it seems as though the mud/thaw conditions are going to keep the bikes in the garage for today :cry: :cry: oh well we still get to play with chain saws :twisted: :D :D
"Insanity is repeating the same mistake over and over while expecting a different result." - A sane person
Ask me about the Michigan Mountain Bike Patrol
bOOger

Postby Ginger! » March 19th, 2005, 5:27 pm

Thanks to EVERYONE who came out to run the chainsaws and cut brush! Our final tally had 15 or 16 people show for the day!

It was cold, but not rainy. Snowy, but not muddy until later in the day, and we cleared down trees off the West, Turtle, and Lakeshore loops and reclaimed the North loop from the collapsed canopy.

We will target the East loop after thaw when we can ride it and catalog what needs to be done.
Ginger!

Postby Dan_Harrison » March 20th, 2005, 11:03 am

KRUG wrote:I plan going by foot. I may bring a trailer to haul my chiansaw and other tools though. I modified my Burely to have a pull handle and would like to give it a try. I think the trail will be too messy for biking it.

Turns out, what we should have brought was cheap plastic kiddie toboggans-- the trail was 100% snow-covered. Live and learn...:roll:
It was good working with you, Krug. I'm looking forward to dialing in that reroute this summer. :D
Dan
Dan_Harrison

Return to Volunteers Needed