Voluteer for the Mountain Bike Patrol?? Well.......

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Postby Return of Crispy Creme » March 3rd, 2005, 6:38 pm

Dan_Harrison wrote:
Kevin_Callahan wrote:If I am already CPR and AED and First Aid certified/licensed do I need to attend this? I would think in my line of work you could just throw me a jersey/jacket!

Kevin, there's a lot of truth to that. In fact, the training will set limits on things that you are trained to do, that patrollers do NOT do. Chief among these is Enforcement. We don't enforce park rules, or any other form of municipal ordinance, state or federal law. If a person is creating an unsafe situation, we use our cell phones to report it to the managers, and file an incident report. We're not allowed to "change hats," even when we've got the skills.
The motto of the Patrol is "Educate, Assist, Inform." The issue of enforcement has created confusion in the minds of a lot of managers (nationally, not just in Michigan), so it is something we try to get straight with both the users and the managers. Ultimately, we take our cues from the unit manager where we're patrolling, as to what we routinely do on patrol.
I agree with Bill, your insights and experience should prove an asset to the group.

For a good description of the Patroller's skills and duties, see the headings listed at:
http://www.imba.com/nmbp/skills/index.html

Dan

Believe me Dan the last thing I would do is be a bike cop, especially without a gun, badge, radio and handcuffs. How much are you looking at cost wise for the jersey and FA kit? Disregard I went to the IMBA site.
"One minute, it's all fun and games, the next, you're blowing on a straw to signal your nurse." FrankenFuel 12/09/07
Return of Crispy Creme

Postby dirt » March 3rd, 2005, 7:11 pm

Kevin_Callahan wrote:
Dan_Harrison wrote:
Kevin_Callahan wrote:If I am already CPR and AED and First Aid certified/licensed do I need to attend this? I would think in my line of work you could just throw me a jersey/jacket!

Kevin, there's a lot of truth to that. In fact, the training will set limits on things that you are trained to do, that patrollers do NOT do. Chief among these is Enforcement. We don't enforce park rules, or any other form of municipal ordinance, state or federal law. If a person is creating an unsafe situation, we use our cell phones to report it to the managers, and file an incident report. We're not allowed to "change hats," even when we've got the skills.
The motto of the Patrol is "Educate, Assist, Inform." The issue of enforcement has created confusion in the minds of a lot of managers (nationally, not just in Michigan), so it is something we try to get straight with both the users and the managers. Ultimately, we take our cues from the unit manager where we're patrolling, as to what we routinely do on patrol.
I agree with Bill, your insights and experience should prove an asset to the group.

For a good description of the Patroller's skills and duties, see the headings listed at:
http://www.imba.com/nmbp/skills/index.html

Dan

Believe me Dan the last thing I would do is be a bike cop, especially without a gun, badge, radio and handcuffs. How much are you looking at cost wise for the jersey and FA kit? Disregard I went to the IMBA site.

So, we can expect to see you there on Sunday??? :lol:
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby Knobby Kabushka » March 3rd, 2005, 7:16 pm

You coming Sunday, Kevin

maybe I'll let you touch my Colts hat
“I'll give up cycling when they pry my cold, dead fingers from the handlebar.”

I Luv Climbing ___/\/\/\___

Connect with me on twitter or FB under same name
Knobby Kabushka

Postby Return of Crispy Creme » March 3rd, 2005, 7:21 pm

Knobby Kabushka wrote:You coming Sunday, Kevin

maybe I'll let you touch my Colts hat

Deal...and I will let you kiss my Detroit Lions underoos! :D
"One minute, it's all fun and games, the next, you're blowing on a straw to signal your nurse." FrankenFuel 12/09/07
Return of Crispy Creme

Postby Return of Crispy Creme » March 3rd, 2005, 7:23 pm

I might be there. Depends as I promised to take the little guy to the Silverdome for the THQ Motocross on April 9th. Might have to work out something where I bring the whole fam damily.
Return of Crispy Creme

Postby Cathie_dear » March 4th, 2005, 10:28 am

I plan on being there Bill. I already carry a bunch of first aid stuff with me and have used it. Most of my skills from veterinary medicine will translate to humans except for front arm slings-I'd have to make someone stand on all fours first. :) Guess I'll have to learn that one.

My mechanical skills need the most work. I need lots of practice at that.
Cathie_dear

Postby wingzz » March 4th, 2005, 6:08 pm

Cathie_dear wrote:I plan on being there Bill. I already carry a bunch of first aid stuff with me and have used it. Most of my skills from veterinary medicine will translate to humans except for front arm slings-I'd have to make someone stand on all fours first. :) Guess I'll have to learn that one.

My mechanical skills need the most work. I need lots of practice at that.

cathie remember not to tell people to sit and give you thier paw either :wink: :lol:
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby bOOger » March 5th, 2005, 6:31 pm

K2, harvey, claudia and frank,

what medical training do you need? CPR first aid or both. i would suggest reneweing evenif your current certs don't expire until later in the year as this is likely the only "free" course you will find.
"Insanity is repeating the same mistake over and over while expecting a different result." - A sane person
Ask me about the Michigan Mountain Bike Patrol
bOOger

Postby sumoe » March 5th, 2005, 9:48 pm

Please send out e-mails (or post here) as to exact locations and times, and what to bring (paper, pencils, medical supplies, etc.), copies of previous certifications if you need them....details!
There is nothing wrong with the world that a bicycle cannot fix...
sumoe

Postby wingzz » March 6th, 2005, 9:07 am

sumoe wrote:Please send out e-mails (or post here) as to exact locations and times, and what to bring (paper, pencils, medical supplies, etc.), copies of previous certifications if you need them....details!

The first post of this thread lists the time and place (one weekend) as far as what to bring, a bike, a backpack a pencil aor pen and some paper, and your charming self

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Re: Voluteer for the Mountain Bike Patrol?? Well.......

Postby sumoe » March 6th, 2005, 9:31 am

bOOger wrote:

The 2005 MMBP Patrol Training Seminar will be held Saturday and Sunday April 9 &10 at Pontaic Lake Recreation Area from 9 AM to 5 PM both days. Lunch provided. Accomodations can be discussed if needed. The agenda for Saturday will be CPR and first aid with a ride follwing. Sunday will entail patrol protocols, trailside bike repair skills, personal interaction skills, and another ride. If interested please send a PM or email to patrol@mmba.org

PLRA is a pretty big area. I'll probably get lost without better directions. (as usual). :roll:
sumoe

Postby Knobby Kabushka » March 6th, 2005, 9:35 am

sumoe wrote:
bOOger wrote:

The 2005 MMBP Patrol Training Seminar will be held Saturday and Sunday April 9 &10 at Pontaic Lake Recreation Area from 9 AM to 5 PM both days. Lunch provided. Accomodations can be discussed if needed. The agenda for Saturday will be CPR and first aid with a ride follwing. Sunday will entail patrol protocols, trailside bike repair skills, personal interaction skills, and another ride. If interested please send a PM or email to patrol@mmba.org

PLRA is a pretty big area. I'll probably get lost without better directions. (as usual). :roll:

I bet we meet at the park headquarters????

Knobby Kabushka

Postby wingzz » March 6th, 2005, 8:05 pm

Knobby Kabushka wrote:
sumoe wrote:
bOOger wrote:

ding ding, give the man a cookie, that is correct sir
just east of the main entrance there is a sign pointing to the gun range and park headquarters, turn in there (on the north side of the road) and stay to the right, you'll see the HQ on the left.

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Postby sumoe » March 6th, 2005, 9:53 pm

wingzz wrote:
Knobby Kabushka wrote:
sumoe wrote:
bOOger wrote:

just east of the main entrance there is a sign pointing to the gun range and park headquarters, turn in there (on the north side of the road) and stay to the right, you'll see the HQ on the left.

So, you go in off Williams Lake road, head toward the trailhead, but turn right sooner?

Signed,

Directionally Challenged Sue
sumoe

Postby Knobby Kabushka » March 6th, 2005, 10:39 pm

sumoe wrote:
wingzz wrote:
Knobby Kabushka wrote:
sumoe wrote:
bOOger wrote:

So, you go in off Williams Lake road, head toward the trailhead, but turn right sooner?

Signed,

Directionally Challenged Sue

Sue,Sue,Sue - - Go To:http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications/PDFS/RecreationCamping/pontiac_lake_map.pdf

blow the map up to 125

Knobby Kabushka

PreviousNext

Return to Volunteers Needed