Voluteer for the Mountain Bike Patrol?? Well.......

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Voluteer for the Mountain Bike Patrol?? Well.......

Postby bOOger » March 2nd, 2005, 4:23 pm

There are many different ways that MMBA members can contribute to the progress of this organization. If learning skills that will assist others with enjoying (or surviving) their riding (or hiking, horse back riding) experience and promoting the MMBA interests you, THEN consider volunteering for the Michigan Mountian Bike Patrol (MMBP).

The patrol is open to any mountain biker (MMBA member or not). There is a minimum time commitment of 10 hours per month of logged patrol time, which count towards FAFL hours. Costs are minimal (ie, MMBA and IMBA membership, purchasing a patrol jersey which serves as our uniform, having a bike that can get you through any trail in mchigan and a helmet). I would encourage all state wide trail coordinators (or assistants) to consider this as well as those that frequently coordinate group rides in their region. It is far too common to have an event arise during a ride or trailday where a patroller's skills or equipment are used. Even if you don't use your direct skills on every ride you are still riding your bike with friends AND promoting responsible riding, the MMBA, and the MMBP.

The 2005 MMBP Patrol Training Seminar will be held Saturday and Sunday April 9 &10 at Pontaic Lake Recreation Area from 9 AM to 5 PM both days. Lunch provided. Accomodations can be discussed if needed. The agenda for Saturday will be CPR and first aid with a ride follwing. Sunday will entail patrol protocols, trailside bike repair skills, personal interaction skills, and another ride. If interested please send a PM or email to patrol@mmba.org

As a side note, the new national patrol coordiantor, Zach Vanderkooy, from IMBA will also be attending the seminar in order to get certified as a patroller. This is a great opportunity for the MMBA to continue to demonstrate the success of their programs on a national level.
"Insanity is repeating the same mistake over and over while expecting a different result." - A sane person
Ask me about the Michigan Mountain Bike Patrol
bOOger

Postby Knobby Kabushka » March 2nd, 2005, 4:34 pm

Already signed up!
“I'll give up cycling when they pry my cold, dead fingers from the handlebar.”

I Luv Climbing ___/\/\/\___

Connect with me on twitter or FB under same name
Knobby Kabushka

Re: Voluteer for the Mountain Bike Patrol?? Well.......

Postby wingzz » March 2nd, 2005, 6:19 pm

bOOger wrote:
The patrol is open to any mountain biker (MMBA member or not). There is a minimum time commitment of 10 hours per month of logged patrol time, which count towards FAFL hours. Costs are minimal (ie, MMBA and IMBA membership,

Ok seeing as I'm your partner in this I thought I'd point out a flaw in your post :shock:
We agreed partollers do need to be MMBA members as the cost of the CPR and First Aid cert's far exceed the cost of a membership
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby dirt » March 2nd, 2005, 6:57 pm

wingzz wrote:
bOOger wrote:
The patrol is open to any mountain biker (MMBA member or not). There is a minimum time commitment of 10 hours per month of logged patrol time, which count towards FAFL hours. Costs are minimal (ie, MMBA and IMBA membership,

Ok seeing as I'm your partner in this I thought I'd point out a flaw in your post :shock:
We agreed partollers do need to be MMBA members as the cost of the CPR and First Aid cert's far exceed the cost of a membership

I might be wrong, but I think he was saying you don't have to be a MMBA member already, but part of becoming a patroller is becoming a MMBA/IMBA member, if you aren't already.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby wingzz » March 2nd, 2005, 7:03 pm

dirt wrote:
wingzz wrote:
bOOger wrote:

I might be wrong, but I think he was saying you don't have to be a MMBA member already, but part of becoming a patroller is becoming a MMBA/IMBA member, if you aren't already.

Thanks for translating billese for me Nick
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby Steve_Kinley » March 2nd, 2005, 7:13 pm

How does the logged hours per month work? Are they only counted for time at certain parks or trails?
Steve_Kinley

Postby froggyrider » March 2nd, 2005, 9:59 pm

Do you have me and Frank on the list?
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Return of Crispy Creme » March 2nd, 2005, 10:05 pm

If I am already CPR and AED and First Aid certified/licensed do I need to attend this? I would think in my line of work you could just throw me a jersey/jacket!
"One minute, it's all fun and games, the next, you're blowing on a straw to signal your nurse." FrankenFuel 12/09/07
Return of Crispy Creme

Postby bOOger » March 3rd, 2005, 12:23 am

wow looks like that got a good response
Steve- hours are logged any time you are representing the patrol such as trail days or out for a ride, as long as you are wearing the uniform and are prepared to provide the services that you have been trained to provide then the time in the park is counted as patrol hours.

Claudia & Frank- i will add you to the list. have you received an invite to joint the yahoo ggroup for the patrol?? if not pm your email and i will take care pof that

Kevin- with your training you don't need to attend on saturday, but it would be beneficial to attend sunday to hear the info, participate in the role playing, and offer your insight into what we have to offer. also, you need to pirchase your cool patrol jersey and jacket through IMBA. If i can get an accurate count of what merchandise people want i'll see if zach can ship me some and then collect the money during the training.

dirt-thanks for translating
"Insanity is repeating the same mistake over and over while expecting a different result." - A sane person
Ask me about the Michigan Mountain Bike Patrol
bOOger

Postby Dan_Harrison » March 3rd, 2005, 8:27 am

Kevin_Callahan wrote:If I am already CPR and AED and First Aid certified/licensed do I need to attend this? I would think in my line of work you could just throw me a jersey/jacket!

Kevin, there's a lot of truth to that. In fact, the training will set limits on things that you are trained to do, that patrollers do NOT do. Chief among these is Enforcement. We don't enforce park rules, or any other form of municipal ordinance, state or federal law. If a person is creating an unsafe situation, we use our cell phones to report it to the managers, and file an incident report. We're not allowed to "change hats," even when we've got the skills.
The motto of the Patrol is "Educate, Assist, Inform." The issue of enforcement has created confusion in the minds of a lot of managers (nationally, not just in Michigan), so it is something we try to get straight with both the users and the managers. Ultimately, we take our cues from the unit manager where we're patrolling, as to what we routinely do on patrol.
I agree with Bill, your insights and experience should prove an asset to the group.

For a good description of the Patroller's skills and duties, see the headings listed at:
http://www.imba.com/nmbp/skills/index.html

Dan
Dan_Harrison

Signed up

Postby El Caballo » March 3rd, 2005, 8:41 am

Do yo have me signed up?

Harvey Santana
"Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?" "Spainard!!!, Spainard!!!, Spainard!!!"
El Caballo

Re: Signed up

Postby Dan_Harrison » March 3rd, 2005, 9:41 am

El Caballo wrote:Do yo have me signed up?

Harvey Santana

Bad news, Harvey. Patrol training is the same weekend (April 9 & 10) as Trail Coordinator training. There are a couple of others in the same situation. I have you signed up for TC training. Let me know if that changes.
Dan
Dan_Harrison

Postby Trek930 » March 3rd, 2005, 11:49 am

It is definately worth it. Helping someone out of the trail has great rewards. The feeling you get from knowing you may have just saved a life is wonderful. You always get many thanks from the person for the help too. You are out there anyway and only a few times a year you actually have to stop to help.

All that extra gear helps keep you fit too. :wink:
Small but able : Director MMBP Comments made by me, are mine and not those of the MMBA, NMBP, or IMBA
Ride: Giant NRS 1
Commute to work via a Surly Cross Check.
Trek930

Postby K2Beast » March 3rd, 2005, 12:29 pm

I am planning on being there...
I already carry most of the stuff required for fixing bikes and bodies and help people frequently anyways...
Since this is an IMBA thing does it apply for trails outside of Michigan as well :?:
The guy whose chain I fixed on Government Trail @ 12k' in Snowmass, Colorado sure would be glad to know that I was a "certified" bike patroller :D
Can anyone summarize/itemize the costs :?:
Adam aka K2Beast (FR/DH/XC) .__ :twisted:
GT Zaskar (rigid) - - - - - - - - - \ <
Azonic DS1 (SS/rigid) - - - - (( )) (( ))
Yeti AS-X (DH/Freeride) -------------
Surly 1x1 (SS/rigid)
Diamondback Drifter
K2Beast

Postby Dan_Harrison » March 3rd, 2005, 3:02 pm

K2Beast wrote:Since this is an IMBA thing does it apply for trails outside of Michigan as well :?:
The guy whose chain I fixed on Government Trail @ 12k' in Snowmass, Colorado sure would be glad to know that I was a "certified" bike patroller :D
I'd say YES. A couple weeks after I first trained, I fixed up a guy on the Gemini Bridges trail at Moab, who had serious road rash. Used a lot of gauze that day.
Can anyone summarize/itemize the costs :?:

At the minimum, you want to get the jersey at $35. A placard (like a race number plate) is pretty cheap. Some of the patrols, like PLRA, have Camelbacks containing all the tools, frist aid supplies, etc. I tend to patrol every time I ride, so I got a Camelback and FA kit through the IMBA store, together they were less than $100, well below retail. The clothing is good, and sold at cost. Here's a link to the store:
http://stores.yahoo.com/imba/nmmer.html
Dan
Dan_Harrison

Next

Return to Volunteers Needed