kid's charity bike drive

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

kid's charity bike drive

Postby trailslug1 » February 23rd, 2005, 10:03 pm

I'm sending out another radar ping to see if you are interested in volunteering to help rebuild some old bikes for donation to less-fortunate kids. The process would probably go something like this: 1- scrounge up a kid's bike (your basement, local garage sale, landfill, etc). 2--attend a first work party at my house to strip the bike down and make a list of required parts. At this point I will send the frames out for paint, and fetch up the needed parts. 3--return a few weeks later to assemble your bike with fresh parts. I have a warm, indoor workshop for you to work in, and would provide grub & bevvies for the work parties. I have done drives like this before, and they can be alot of fun. Please post or PM me if you think you might be interested.

general notes:

* this is not sponsored by MMBA, mtn kids, or any other agency, it would be it's own stand alone endeavor with its own funding.

*mechanical expertise is NOT required! Folks can help with getting sponsors, arranging donations, and appropriating incidentals such as locks and helmets. what ever your talents are, they can be well employed here!

*Lastly, would everyone please have the courtesy not to hijack this post, there's a whole BB waiting for those other topics (that's not a dare Scat, I can still put chain lube in your beer...)

Thanks in advance everyone--look forward to seeing you on the trails soon.
I like-a dance the cha-cha...
trailslug1

kids charirty bike drive?

Postby poncho » February 24th, 2005, 6:32 pm

Where exactly does this take plce and on what dates? I am sitting on a few extra frames that are ready for a little someone who will appreciate them. I think this sounds like the perfect home for these frames that i have gotten handed to me. I live in the Flint area and would like to help out if you are within reach of me.
Good job sounds like the exact same thing that i wanted to do but never had the money to pump out for everything. I have rebuilt bikes for little kids of my friends before along with building a couple for myself. My pride and joy is my 1969 Sears & Robucks Free Spirit Chopper that I rebuilt from only the frame and forks. Thanks for your time look forward to hearing from you.
poncho

good questions

Postby trailslug1 » February 25th, 2005, 10:28 am

Some excellent responses are coming in, here and in PM's. Here's some more info: First off, work is not prerequisite to donating bikes and parts. If you have a spare bike but aren't up for work parties right now, gimme a call at 248-698-1939 and we'll see about a pickup. The dates are TBD, pending the response. Obviously, the bikes will need parts, so I'm asking: is anybody hooked up with a shop that can provide discounts and/or usable used parts? Similarly, are any of you hooked up with a big store like Kmart or Walmart, where new, damaged bikes can often be found as donations?

Lastly, some side notes:
* Please don't worry about a big commitment of time, most of the bikes are single speeders, and can be turned around in a couple of hours. Some bikes come in just because they're outgrown, and need little more than air and lube.

*The little itty-bitty bikes (like the training wheel bikes you'd give to a 3 year old) aren't usually worth rebuilding cuz they sell so cheap new.

I look forward to hearing from more of you!
I like-a dance the cha-cha...
trailslug1

Postby Spinwheel » March 10th, 2005, 10:52 pm

Trailslug

I have two bikes - a boys and a girls that I'd like to donate to your cause if you like. They're in need of some TLC - chain and brake cables are a bit rusty/frozen but they're solid other than that. I will deliver them to you in W.L. too if you like - pls PM me. Good work!

Tim
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Return to Volunteers Needed