trail day swapping !!!

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

trail day swapping !!!

Postby dirty bird » December 7th, 2004, 12:16 am

Well, I really am not sure how to express my idea, but here it goes. Trail cordinators have trail days scheduled for each month or for the summer. Why dont we start having a trail co. sit down once a yr or twice a yr and talk about how to schedule a swap of services from one trail to another for a once a yr visit w/ say three or more folks from the trails involved in hopes of creating a more friendly, community of networked trails. Another words, "I'll scratch your back if you come over and scratch mine". Earlier this summer I went over to Holdridge(NOT KNOWING ANYONE) and volunteered my services for the day to them on thier trail. Some of thier people came over to help us @ Ruby. It was then I thaught why not try and expand on this w/ other coarses Like Maybury for example and Seven Lakes as well, where lots of work is being done and the people who are part of that trail are over worked and thier families are feeling under appreciated, because of all the time those people have invested w/ thier trail. This creates an oppurtunity to get some fresh, new faces in for a day. Then the favor is returned. Im not saying this should take up and begin changing the trail days scheduled or everyone has to feel obligated. All Im saying is why not try and work out a swap of services from trail to trail once a yr or when ever . Is any of the trail co.'s interested in trying this out a little next spring. It was good for the trail's moral to see new faces even if it's only once a yr. We are starting a 4hr trail day w/ a group BBQ right after. For some time next june or so. Mike
dirty bird

Postby G.Cook » December 7th, 2004, 6:49 pm

I started doing this very same thing this year. I wanted to get more expeariance in trail building skills and the only way to do that was to get as much time as I could helping out on other trails. It has been a great expeariance not to mention the fun factor of riding on trail that I helped to maintain . It was gratifying working with people with the same mind set about trail work . The Poto is my "home" trail but if the oppurtunity presents itself I'll make every effort to volunteer for trail work on other trails.

Have Pulaski,will travel :wink:
G.Cook

Postby dirty bird » December 7th, 2004, 7:07 pm

That is what I mean! We should try and make some effort to work together and swap some time w/ eachothers coarse's and give our folks a chance to see other coarse's and how trails can work for our own trails. Not to mention it gives all the local help a chance to get some pride in thier home coarse when visitors arrive to help on a trail day. We are over here at RUBY CAMPGROUND, and lots of changes are being made w/ the new owners, and the coarse is taking on alot of changes for the better :wink: My email is mliagre@sbcglobal.net if you are interested in going further w/ this please contact me and we can iron this out in more detail...... Mike
dirty bird

Postby Pauly » February 7th, 2005, 6:53 pm

Thats a great idea I spend a ton of time on Addison's course and have for years . I would love to help out at other area parks as long as I can stay on top of my course . Last year I had big time errosion problems and over grown weeds and pickers that left alot of people bleeding . I often get people offering to help and I will probably take them up on it this year if I do count me in Pauly.
Pauly
Pauly

Postby studlee » February 7th, 2005, 8:54 pm

Mike is really on to something here instead of trying to having the same group work on the same trail all the time it would be nice to get others to see what is happening at other courses. Not to mention it would be nice to meet some new people who enjoy doing the stuff we all like to do and maybe learn some new and better ways to maintain the trails. Gold star for you Mikey! 8) 8)
studlee

Postby dirty bird » February 8th, 2005, 3:41 am

I plan on making a trail work schedule up now that I know all of the races for the summer. I hope to meet some of the other folks from our chapter who are involved in trail work at thier coarse and put some sort of a plan together once I get back home . I will post the FOUR trail days for Ruby on the MMBA calander and hopefully be able to contact a few people about this "TRAIL SWAP" idea that I have. Anyone who knows me also knows I can put together a good program when I put my mind to it, so please give me a chance to get this idea off the ground and go with it this yr w/ this being a PILOT idea. I am fairly confident that this will work !!!!! Hope to see you all at the expo :wink:
dirty bird

Postby 2WhEElTeRRoRisT » February 11th, 2005, 10:44 pm

Go Team Sandbag, YEAH! Trail work, YEAH! Riding bikes, YEAH!
Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2WhEElTeRRoRisT

Location: The cozy confines of an Oldsmoble parked out front of the bike shop

Postby dirty bird » February 14th, 2005, 9:40 am

I received a very warm responce to this idea of doing a one for one trail swap w/ our other coarses. So I am going to submit RUBY trail days for the summer and then I need the other trail coordinators to email me at mliagre@sbcglobal.net w/ thier specific trail days. Anyone else who is a helper is more than welcome to also email me, but the best thing at this pointe would be to just watch the event calander :P I will try to get intouch w/ Holdridge, Stoney, Bloomer, Addison Oaks, & Maybury trail coordinators and get more details worked out as well. But those are the coarses involved so far, at least shown interest. thanks and lets make this a summer to remember ! Mike
dirty bird

Trail days for Addison

Postby Pauly » March 12th, 2005, 3:37 pm

We had our S.E. chapter meeting last thursday and I have locked in 2 days at addison . May 15th a sunday and Aug. 20th a sat. I still need to meet with park management to see what the think of my plans. The first race at Addison is May 21st a sat. and I'm hoping to get the last of the mud filled in with crushed limestone. We should have 2 john deere gators a hopefully a tractor to load them with . The park usually buys lunch and does not expect volunteers to pay to work on the trail . hope to see some of yuo people there Pauly
Pauly
Pauly

Return to Volunteers Needed