There will be another trail day at Rolling Hills Park in Ypsilanti on Saturday 10/27 from 9 AM to 2 PM to continue work on the Munger woods loop. I apologize for the late notification, but my weekend schedule just freed up today.
With only a small crew of 5 and denser undergrowth than expected, we were able to rough cut ~0.25 miles during the last work day in early October. I estimate that's about half of the total loop length so it may be possible to complete the rough cut during work this weekend. With a large crew of 10 or more, I'm sure that we can finish the whole loop, remove all the stumps and mow the tall grass/goldenrod in the meadow areas. With luck and some sweat, we can complete this loop in time for the Black Friday Ride on 11/23 (10 AM).
The work plan for Saturday will be:
- continuing the rough cut of the trail into the large mounded area in the extreme NW of the park
- Macloed and Pulaski work to clear roots and stumps on the first part of the Munger woods loop which was rough cut on 10/6
- bench cut the small mounds next to the two old track after the end of the E-W fence on the Munger loop to make them rideable
- mowing of the grass/goldenrod in the meadows sections of the Munger woods loop
- if time and crew size allow, repair two off-camber turns back at Mile 1.1 and Mile 1.3
Please come out to help and expand our popular and fun trail. Meet at the trailhead parking lot at 8:45-9 AM. I recommend wearing long pants and long sleeves for branches and thorns and sturdy shoes considering the terrain and trail tools. Bring lopers, pruners, Pulaski's and Macleod's if you have them. Tell the gate keeper at RHP (if there is one) that you are entering the park for MTB trail work and they should let you in free of charge.
Please let me know as soon as possible if you are able to attend. If I get enough positive responses in advance, I'll provide some coffee/snacks to start the day and food and "refreshments" afterwards. Look to this forum and/or the Poto Yahoo Group if a cancellation becomes necessary.