Rolling Hills Trail Day, Sat. 10/6, 9 AM to 2 PM

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Rolling Hills Trail Day, Sat. 10/6, 9 AM to 2 PM

Postby michael48197 » September 27th, 2012, 3:59 pm

After a hot, dry summer, we are finally in prime trail building weather. We made some nice progress at Rolling Hills this year by adding the ~0.75 mile long Munger meadow loop in the west and the 0.25 mile long finish section. Now I'd like to start tackling the western wooded section in the far NW of RHP. If I recall correctly from the walk-throughs, there will be another 0.5 to 0.75 miles of trail out there. And it will likely be some of the most interesting trail in the park as the whole area is full of dirt mounds from the old sand quarry. Given the nature of the terrain and woods, however, we'll have to carve out the whole section before making it accessible. Luckily, the undergrowth is minimal in most areas so the trail will develop fast with tree trimming and some work with the Macleods, Pulaskis and the root wrench. Ideally, we can get good crews out for 2-3 work days in Oct and early Nov and we can open the new section before the Black Friday Ride on 11/23.

We'll have our first work day at RHP in this section on Sat. 10/6 from 9 AM to 2 PM. Since I'm free that whole weekend, Sunday 10/7 will be our rain day if needed. The plan for the work day will be:

- earth work to smooth out a few of the nasty ruts on the Munger meadow section
- modify the line on the top of the large mound on the Munger loop
- bench cut the small mounds next to the two old track after the end of the E-W fence on the Munger loop to make them rideable.
- trimming/pruning trees and shrubs in the wooded areas along Munger and then into the NW mounds
- earth work to bench cut the mounds as needed

Please come out to help and expand our popular and fun trail. Meet at the trailhead parking lot at 8:45-9 AM. I recommend wearing long pants and long sleeves for branches and the sun and sturdy shoes considering the terrain and trail tools. Bring lopers, pruners, Pulaski's and Macleod's if you have them. Oh, and can someone bring a push mower in case it's needed...the chapter mower is in the shop. Tell the gate keeper at RHP (if there is one) that you are entering the park for MTB trail work and they should let you in free of charge.

Please let me know as soon as possible if you are able to attend. If I get enough positive responses in advance, I'll provide some coffee/snacks to start the day and food and "refreshments" afterwards. Look to this forum and/or the Poto Yahoo Group if a cancellation becomes necessary.
Last edited by michael48197 on October 4th, 2012, 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Re: Rolling Hills Trail Day, Sat. 10/6, 9 AM to 2 PM

Postby michael48197 » October 4th, 2012, 6:39 am

REMINDER: Trail work day at RHP

Please come out and help build the trail extension into the woods and mounds in the NW part of the park.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Return to Volunteers Needed