Proud Lake Adventure Day, Sat Aug 18

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Proud Lake Adventure Day, Sat Aug 18

Postby J/C » August 13th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Everyone, this Saturday, Aug. 18th is Proud Lake Adventure Day. It's an event the park is putting on to showcase the park and provide outdoor activities for kids to try out. T/C Bill and I will be there with the MMBA Kids' Trailer and we're looking for help. We'll be getting the kids set up on the bikes and going for a ride around the trails on the East side of Wixom Rd (trails are normally closed to bikes). Trailer will be set up somewhere near the River Hawk Lodge. Please come out and help if you can. Bring the kids, there will be free ice cream, archery, canoeing, the Walled Lake Outdoor Center will be open for ziplines and such. 10 am to 3 pm. Here is a link to the official flyer. It should be a real nice event and I think it will help our push for new bike trails in the park.

Let Bill or me know if you can help, pm or call 734.680.3883.

John
Proud Lake Asst. T/C
J/C

Re: Proud Lake Adventure Day, Sat Aug 18

Postby mwilson7 » August 13th, 2012, 10:42 pm

John,

How long would you need us there and what would we do? I was thinking of bringing my kids down but I'd like to help out the MMBA as well.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby J/C » August 14th, 2012, 7:11 pm

We could use help anytime throughout the day. We'll be getting kids set up with bikes and helmets then taking a group on a ride on the hiking/x-c ski trails East of Wixom Rd. We'll also need someone to stay at the trailer and we'll need to get the kids/parents to fill out waivers. Depending on how it works out, we might have two groups out at once, older kids going on one set of trails and the younger kids on another.

John
J/C

Postby ColorVoyeur » August 14th, 2012, 9:20 pm

My buddy Nick and I will probably be there early to help out where needed. I'll confirm later in the week.

I helped out with Bill when the kid trailer was there for the DNR birthday a couple years ago.
I was on my way home through the park and I heard Megadeath playing over a PA. I had to investigate and found Bill and a few other guys helping kids out at the MMBA trailer. It was a ton of fun!
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby J/C » August 17th, 2012, 9:56 am

ColorVoyeur wrote:My buddy Nick and I will probably be there early to help out where needed. I'll confirm later in the week.

I helped out with Bill when the kid trailer was there for the DNR birthday a couple years ago.
I was on my way home through the park and I heard Megadeath playing over a PA. I had to investigate and found Bill and a few other guys helping kids out at the MMBA trailer. It was a ton of fun!

Sounds great, we plan to put the trailer over by the River Hawk Conference Center, just downhill from the Lodge. I think we're now in good shape for volunteers. Sounds like there could be A LOT of people out. Andy, head ranger at the park, said he had over 900 rsvps alone from the Dept. of Health and Human Svs. foster parents, children and potentials parents... They're arriving sometime in the afternoon.

Bill and I have a few trails picked out to ride on, where we'll ride all depends on how many kids are there, how old, and how much other traffic there is on the park roads and trails. Marsh trail, river trail and possibly out across Moss Lake dam and on the trails heading east/northeast.
J/C

Postby J/C » August 19th, 2012, 10:29 am

It was a great event, lots of participants, here's a recap.
J/C

Return to Volunteers Needed