Rolling Hills Trail Day, Sat, 8/4, 8:30 AM to 1 PM

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Rolling Hills Trail Day, Sat, 8/4, 8:30 AM to 1 PM

Postby michael48197 » July 27th, 2012, 4:43 pm

The summer has been blistering and I've been tied up with other commitments, inhibiting working as much as I would like on RHP trail expansion. However, it looks like we are finally getting to some cooler mornings now. So, I'm planning a trail work day on Sat., 8/4 at RHP from 8:30 AM to 1 PM. Since I'm free that whole weekend, I'm planning to work Sunday 8/5 if we need a rain delay on Sat. The plan for the work day will be:

- earth work to smooth out the dirt mounds in the next 150 yards of trail
- mowing/brush cutting about 0.25 miles to the old Munger Road gate
- mowing/brush cutting another 0.3-0.4 miles in the west meadow and around the gravel pit to connect to the finish section
- start tree trimming North along Munger into the next wooded section towards the larger dirt mounds in the NW corner
- if time allows, mowing/brush cutting the Southeast meadow along Bemis and Stony Creek to add another mile of trail

We will rent a brush mower which should take care of the meadows VERY quickly. We'll need some help with the earth work and tree trimming on the next section. With a good crew, we might add 1.5 miles of single track on one day !!! If we get the meadows mowed soon, we will have all fall and winter to ride in and smooth out a good track which will make maintenance of the meadow sections much easier come next spring's growing season. Ideally, we'll have another 3-4 work days this fall to open the wooded areas along Munger and complete the whole western section before the Black Friday Ride on 11/23. Adding the SE meadow and the whole western section will bring the RHP trail to 5.5 - 5.7 miles!!

Please come out to help and expand our popular and fun trail. Meet at the trailhead parking lot at 8:20-8:30 AM. I recommend wearing long pants and long sleeves for bugs, branches and the sun and sturdy shoes considering the mowers and trail tools. And don't forget your sunscreen and bug juice!! Tell the gate keeper that you are entering the park for MTB trail work and they should let you in free of charge.

Please let me know in advance if you are able to attend. If I get enough positive responses in advance, I'll provide some food and "refreshments". Look to this forum and/or the Poto Yahoo Group if a cancellation becomes necessary.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Re: Rolling Hills Trail Day, Sat, 8/4, 8:30 AM to 1 PM

Postby parttime » July 30th, 2012, 5:58 pm

I'll be there with the brush mower!
parttime

Return to Volunteers Needed