Alpena, Michigan trail building

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Alpena, Michigan trail building

Postby Alpenamountainbiker » May 23rd, 2012, 9:51 am

Building a new single track North Point / Misery Bay area Memorial Day weekend. Anyone in the area who wants to help let me know. I will be out there most of the weekend trying to get 5 +/- miles of trail.
Alpenamountainbiker

Re: Alpena, Michigan trail building

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » May 23rd, 2012, 9:50 pm

I won't be up there Memorial Day weekend, but my parents live in the Hillman area, so I get up there a couple of times per year. Any new trails are welcome! I'm not familiar with North Point / Misery Bay.....can you explain where this is?
WishIcouldcatchmybreath

Postby Alpenamountainbiker » May 24th, 2012, 8:11 am

You get to North Point by driving behind the Cement Plant and following the road till it end there you can turn left onto Misery Bay road, the state land starts on that corner. It was private not to long ago but the developer sold it to the state. There are a couple of marked trails that lead back to sink holes that are full of water and it empties into Lake Huron. It's a very nice spot! Just mapping it out it looks like I may be able to get a track 5 to 7 miles long in there. We'll see.
Alpenamountainbiker

Postby Alpenamountainbiker » May 26th, 2012, 7:50 am

Correction: The State didn't purchase the land, the Township of Alpena owns it now. I've cleared some trails, plan on riding some of it today and clearing a bit more. There is some much room and survey lines that can be converted to trails but I am only one guy and I am wearing out.
Alpenamountainbiker

Postby Nelg » May 29th, 2012, 7:09 am

Have you talked to anyone at Thunder Bay Trails to work on an official proposal or to solicit help?
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Return to Volunteers Needed