New Trail! "Merrell Trails" trail day schedule, Rockford, MI

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Re: New Trail! "Merrell Trails" trail day schedule, Rockford

Postby ReidRules18 » July 30th, 2012, 11:26 am

What's going to be the trail days for the month of August? Are we still planning on Wednesday's at the regular time?

-Reid
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby RickPlite » July 30th, 2012, 11:40 am

ReidRules18 wrote:What's going to be the trail days for the month of August? Are we still planning on Wednesday's at the regular time?

-Reid

August Merrell Trails work nights:
We plan to meet this Wednesday night August 1st at 5:30 and then switch to MONDAY nights during the rest of August from 6:00-8:30 pm. There is a lot of work yet to be done to get this trail ready to ride. Can you commit to at least one of these dates? There may be some additional opportunities as need arises. Be sure to check on facebook or at wmmba.org.

Please meet at the gate to the transfer station and we will go back to the trail site as a group. Since we go back together, please be at the gate on time otherwise you won’t be able to get it in. Please eat or snack before arriving water and bring long pants, gloves and bug spray.

Pizza and PBR provided after each trail night.

We will also be working with Alex of Spectrum Trail Designs on weekdays from 8am-5pm starting August 1st-August 13th or so. If you can come out during the daytime hours and lend a hand that would be awesome.

You will receive a free Merrell technical t-shirt by providing 15 or more trail work hours!

Merrell Trails (WMMBA)
2908 10 Mile Rd NE, Rockford, MI 49341
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby RickPlite » August 1st, 2012, 8:23 am

Awesome video of the Merrell Trail project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usJcUyiV ... r_embedded
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby ReidRules18 » August 1st, 2012, 8:50 am

RickPlite wrote:Awesome video of the Merrell Trail project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usJcUyiV ... r_embedded

Amazing
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby plunderspunk » August 1st, 2012, 11:57 am

Awesome. Somebody out there has some serious ability to bring together money time, people and process. Having attempted to do this type of thing in the past and having failed, Kudos!
A.K.A. Geardaddy
plunderspunk

Postby plunderspunk » August 4th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Really had a great time working the trail today with Rick, Phil, Andy, and Alex! We probably finished a couple hundred yards or so, and I got to ride the finished part afterwards. Totally stoked to see this thing when it's finished! Very nice job and kudos to all of the folks at wmmba...this is gonna be worth the drive folks!! Rick, totally plan on coming out again on the 13th!
Cheers,
Bill :)
A.K.A. Geardaddy
plunderspunk

Postby dmpeterson » August 8th, 2012, 12:57 pm

I want to make it out to a couple more trail days, but Monday nights don't work (I have no way to get out there unless I can hitch a ride). Will there be any work weekends?
"Not all who wander are lost."
dmpeterson

Postby plunderspunk » August 8th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Awesome avatar dm...reminds me of the good old days... 8) They usually meet on Saturdays. PM Rick Plite...
Welcome to the board!
Bill :)
A.K.A. Geardaddy
plunderspunk

Postby dmpeterson » August 9th, 2012, 9:47 am

Thanks Bill! I ended up email Scott (Tencate). He said that things are looking pretty good on the trail and he'll let me know if they need any extra help.

I appreciate the info though!

PS - are/ were you a climber?
dmpeterson

Postby plunderspunk » August 9th, 2012, 9:54 am

yeah I used to rock climb in the 70's and 80's, after getting turned on to it inthe Black hills. Ron Kauk, and Patrick Belanger were my hero's, along with Pete Croft. Can't do that anymore, but the stuff that Chris Sharma is doing is amazing...izzat you? looks pretty difficult
A.K.A. Geardaddy
plunderspunk

Postby dmpeterson » August 9th, 2012, 10:38 am

Ya. That's me. It's not too hard a climb though. Only a 5.8. I don't climb any higher than an 11, but we got into trad climbing last season and have been having a great time on the 7-9's. We go down to Red River Gorge in Kentucky or up to Marquette and the Keweenaw (also phenomenal mtn biking up there btw!).
dmpeterson

Postby plunderspunk » August 9th, 2012, 11:34 am

that climb might be 5.8 overall, but that beginning looks about 5.10 c to me... :wink: :twisted:
A.K.A. Geardaddy
plunderspunk

Postby dmpeterson » August 9th, 2012, 12:01 pm

The beginning was definitely the crux. After you pull over the edge, it's basically a flaky ladder the rest of the way up. You actually start this route back in the cave. I wish I would have known how to place pro back then because, if I remember correctly, I think there was a good crack and plenty of flakes to work off of.

Whenever we go to the Red, I always wish that I'd have brought my bike. After talking to some of the locals, there are apparently good trails down there. Every time we go down, though, it's strictly climbing. Maybe someday...
dmpeterson

Postby tenner42 » August 12th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Planning trail work tomorrow evening ( Monday, Aug 13)
6 PM at the Kent Transfer/ recycling center gate. Finish around 8:30. West Michigan Bike and Fitness will be providing post work Pizza and beverages. **Watch for updates tomorrow afternoon in case we receive too much rain.
tenner42

Postby ReidRules18 » August 13th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Still on for today?
ReidRules18

PreviousNext

Return to Volunteers Needed