Help needed to design and build a new trail in Clarkston

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Help needed to design and build a new trail in Clarkston

Postby Steve_Kinley » October 28th, 2011, 7:28 pm

I am posting this for one of our MiSCA club members that wants to construct a MTB trail on Clarkston school property. He is looking for people with trail building experience to step up and help design the trail as well as help oversee the construction. The school board wants to see a plan that the trail will have the guidance of someone with trail building experience.

Hi everybody, it's Connor Eckhout from the Clarkston High School cycling team. I am 15 and hopefully on my way to becoming an Eagle Scout. I started Mountain Biking this year and was granted permission to use an 80 acre stretch of land owned by Clarkston High School for my Eagle Scout project. My hope is that along with the help of my troop, our mountain biking team, and a couple people with trail building experience that we could make use of this property and build our own trail.

This trail would not only be used for me to complete my Eagle Project but would be used by our team for practice and open to whom ever wishes to use it. The property is located at corner of Reese and Rattle Lake Road in Clarkston, just a couple miles from the high school. Previously in the year I went out to the property and took a look around along with two of our coaches, Laurie Payn and Bob Wozniak, plus a member from the Clarkston Community School Board Beth Ker. We got a couple of GPS coordinates up on Google earth and it looks like with a little bit of work we could get anywhere from five miles up to eight miles of smooth single track.

Our problem is none of us have any experience in trail building or even planning for that part. We would like to see if we could get someone with experience to come out for a couple hours and help us get a plan in place before the snow comes so we can start construction as soon as possible in spring. Any and all input or help is appreciated.

If you have some experience and would be willing to help, or have any comments or questions then please contact me at cjeckhout@gmail.com ASAP. Thank you for your time.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Re: Help needed to design and build a new trail in Clarkston

Postby daisydog137 » November 6th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Hi everyone - Connor and I will need to get school board approval before we get permission to start working on the property. One of their main concerns is that we have someone that knows what they are doing involved in the land usage. Honestly there are already existing trails out there that we will be modifying over time. I will be contacting several of the trail coordinators here in the MMBA hoping that you will allow us to use you as a reference just in case we have a question or need advice. Thank you in advance!!

Laurie Payn
Clarkston High School
Michigan Scholastic Cycling Association
daisydog137

Postby KLydesdale » November 8th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Steve and Laurie,

I contacted Steve by email about this a couple of weeks ago but never got back to him. I have some trail building and maintenance experience and am willing to help design this trail, oversee construction or do whatever else is needed to get it going. I'm familiar with that piece of property because I've ridden by it many times on "Back 40" rides, and judging by the satellite map and topography, it really should not take anything extensive to create a trail there. If we do need some really expert help, I know a few people with ties to Kinetic Systems/FRCC/Clarkson area who we could ask.

Please feel free contact me via the PM or email buttons here. I'll send Connor a direct email.

Keith Lukaszek (the KL in KLydesdale)
KLydesdale

Postby Roy » November 10th, 2011, 8:05 am

Connor,
First things first:
Decide on skill/difficulty level of the trail, the ridership. (my guess is the it should be a low skill level )
Walk and flag ( using red plastic tap) the trail as you in-vision it.
Walk the trail again with a experienced trail builder. ( someone from the MMBA ), During this walk make adjustments to the trail layout. Also estimate the length and log any special treatments like bench cuts and/ or bridges. Use this information to form your presentation to the school board. You might ask your language instructor for help with the presentation. Also ask for extra credit.
The presentation should include:
The skill level of the trail and the projected ridership (who you think will ride the trail)
A rough hand drawn trail map with notes showing any special features. (hills, bench cuts, bridges, and easy go a rounds)
An example of the trail marking system you will use. (River Bends trail in Shelby Township has best and lowest cost system)
A public benefit statement. (why this trail will benefit both your school and the general public) A Public benefit statement will be needed
if the trail comes close to private land. Contact MMBA's advocacy director for help if private land is an issue. (do not mention private land unless asked by the board.)
Attack the presentation as the most important part of this project. It will help you get your first job.

Roy
Roy

Postby Jim O » November 13th, 2011, 10:57 pm

Connor,
This area would most likely fall into the Holly/Flint Chapter of the MMBA. In-fact a couple members brought this to my atttention. We have some very experienced people! I would suggest contacting me at either frccp@hotmail or cell anytime 248-821-5648.
Jim Owens
MMBA/IMBA Pres. Holly-Flint chapter
Jim O

Postby Lars66 » January 24th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Connor,
I know the area well and have experience in trail building. Let me know when you have an onsite meeting set. I would be happy to assist in the layout and construction, and live @ 2 miles from the location, and have ridden the existing walking trails that are out there now.

Send a PM or email damon@larsdavid.com

Thanks, and you have a great idea.
Lars66

Postby MtnBikerMi » March 13th, 2012, 7:20 am

Conner,

Is this project still in the works? I am trying to find a community project for a pack of 2nd grade cub scouts. We could spend a few hours out there raking the trail and clearing branches and deadfall if the trail is marked out. I think it would be a great way to introduce the idea of MTB to this crowd also!

I think this is a great idea for this property and would lend a helping hand to help create the trail. Hopefully one day some of my kids will want to be on the Clarkston MTB team! I do not have trail building experience but can handle a chainsaw and shovel.

Send a PM or email seandroyse@gmail.com

Thanks.
MtnBikerMi

Postby black2003ss » March 15th, 2012, 3:01 pm

I don't have any trailbuilding experience, but I am only a couple of miles away and know how to work and can pitch in if someone heads it up.
black2003ss

Postby daisydog137 » March 23rd, 2012, 9:31 am

Thank you to all that have volunteered to help us with this project. The school board granted us permission to proceed with our project last week. Please email me if you would like to be included on an email contact list regarding trail work days, etc.

We truly appreciate all of your help!
Laurie Payn
paynle@att.net
daisydog137

Postby G.Cook » March 23rd, 2012, 10:08 am

E-mail sent. Enjoy building new trail but it always subject to time restraints i.e. travel time, trail day dates and blah blah.
G.Cook

Postby daisydog137 » March 23rd, 2012, 10:16 am

Thank you!
daisydog137

Postby Elevated_Existence » March 23rd, 2012, 4:40 pm

Email sent. I think this is a great idea I would definitely use the trail often.
Elevated_Existence

Postby Jim O » October 1st, 2012, 9:55 am

mmba6862 wrote:Connor,
This area would most likely fall into the Holly/Flint Chapter of the MMBA. In-fact a couple members brought this to my atttention. We have some very experienced people! I would suggest contacting me at either frccp@hotmail or cell anytime 248-821-5648.
Jim Owens
MMBA/IMBA Pres. Holly-Flint chapter

Never received any response to my request above!
Jim O

Return to Volunteers Needed