Cannon Township Trail Day Oct. 29th 9 AM.

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Cannon Township Trail Day Oct. 29th 9 AM.

Postby cramer » October 19th, 2011, 8:41 am

We had a trail work day a couple of weeks ago on the Cannon Township property and we started building a new trail that is half way between Cannonsburg Ski Area and Luton Park. I think we completed about half of the work and I would like to get this finished up at our next trail day if possible. I think the trail we cut so far is pretty cool. This will be a nice addition to the area and a cool trail to ride while riding between the Game Area or Ski Area and Luton.

Details:

Meet at the township hall on the South East corner of Belding road and Myers Lake at 9:00 AM. (Cannon Township Center 6878 Belding Road NE Rockford, MI 49341). We'll provide a short safety talk and some instructions as to what to do, no prior trail building experience is necessary, all are welcome!

Bring water, loppers and rakes if you have them and as many friends as you can round up. We will work until 12:30 or so and lunch will be provided. If we're close to finishing up the trail we might go back out after lunch for a while also so if you can't make it in the morning, come on out for the afternoon shift. Last time Merrell came out and gave out some nice technical hats and some clever bottle opener key chains made from bike chains and sprockets. They also had a drawing for a $110 gift certificate for some shoes that someone won and they provided the lunch for us. I'm not sure yet if we can get them out there to help out again or not but I'll try.
cramer

Re: Cannon Township Trail Day Oct. 29th 9 AM.

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » October 19th, 2011, 4:47 pm

I'll try to make it, but I might have to leave early for work.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby cramer » October 28th, 2011, 8:27 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know the trail day is on for tomorrow, regardless of weather.

Hope to see a lot of people, I would LOVE to finish it and open it up for riding tomorrow.
cramer

Postby cramer » October 29th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Big success today, we finished off the loop! Thanks to all the volunteers that came out to help build it today. It needs to be ridden in like any new trail, pretty bumpy right now. We'll fine tune it as we go to make it flow and then next year we can start looking at spicing it up with some fun technical features. If you're in the area, stop out and ride it. The start of the trail is right off the paved path behind the Cannon Township Center.

Thanks again to everyone that came out and helped today and on the last trail day. Also thanks to Merrell once again for picking up the tab for lunch.
cramer

Postby StillBill » October 29th, 2011, 7:08 pm

I had a great time on my first real trail day, hard work but satisfying. Can't wait until the trail gets a little smoother.

Bill
StillBill

Postby StillBill » October 29th, 2011, 7:25 pm

I had a great first trail day! The pizza from Merrell was great too.

Looking forward to helping again.

Bill
StillBill

Postby cramer » October 30th, 2011, 2:56 pm

I forgot to bring a camera to take some pictures. If anyone has any pictures from the trail build, please post them up!
cramer

Postby cramer » November 1st, 2011, 3:12 pm

I rode a few laps yesterday and today, here are my observations:

- Looks like the deer are really enjoying the new trail.

- There are a couple of corners I want to fine tune and I'm going to ditch the ridiculous hairpin mess of a turn; it was worth a try!

- Either it's getting broken in a little or I'm just figuring out how to ride it faster, but I was able to start carrying a little more speed through the corners eventually.

- Trail doesn't appear to dry out very well, many soft / wet areas still. I'm not concerned with riding it in this condition now, I think it may actually help to break it in a little faster.

- I've been picking the pink / green ribbons off the trees and branches and packing them out. Any help with this job is greatly appreciated.
cramer

Return to Volunteers Needed