New Trail in Cannon Township - October 1st

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

New Trail in Cannon Township - October 1st

Postby cramer » August 29th, 2011, 12:48 pm

We have permission from Cannon Township to build a new trail on the township property at Myers Lake and Belding road. The trail will be short, maybe similar to the orange loop at Luton, but the location is close to a lot of other trails.

Details-

Meet at the township hall on the South East corner of Belding road and Myers Lake at 9:00 AM. Bring water, bug spray, loppers and rakes if you have them and as many friends as you can round up. We will work until 12:30 or so and lunch will be provided. If we get enough people, we should be able to finish this the same day.

Info about the trail-

It will be a short loop as I mentioned. I think it will be a great way to break up the road ride for those that ride between the ski area or game area and Luton. I also think it will be used by families that want to plan a kid friendly bike ride on the Cannon Township paved path and include a short singletrack loop in their ride. The facilities already include a restroom and a sheltered picnic area is planned for the future. I also think this might work to attract new adults to the sport. People out riding the paved path that might feel intimidated to go to one of the local mountain bike trails might just decide to give it a try since it will be connected directly with the existing paved trail. As you know, all it takes is one ride to get hooked!

Please put this in your calendar and pass the word on, we could really use your help in building this new trail! Feel free to post up questions here or contact me directly.
cramer

Re: New Trail in Cannon Township - October 1st

Postby RickPlite » August 29th, 2011, 2:22 pm

I will cross post this to my Facebook page Cramer
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » September 20th, 2011, 1:49 pm

I will definitely try to make this if I don't have to work. (It does look like I'll be working though.) Keep us posted!
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 25th, 2011, 9:47 am

Is this a hilly area? Will this be a technical trail with climbs, hopefully far more difficult than Luton?
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby cramer » September 25th, 2011, 12:51 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:Is this a hilly area? Will this be a technical trail with climbs, hopefully far more difficult than Luton?

It's a small piece of property we have to work with, not a lot of hills but it's not flat either. The plan is to build a pretty standard type trail initially, then add technical features to make it into sort of a bike park later on. The technical features will be mild stuff and include bypass options. The focus will be on fun and learning skills and not danger.
cramer

Postby cramer » September 27th, 2011, 1:19 pm

Sunny and 56 is the forecast for Saturday, that's some pretty ideal working weather!
cramer

Postby cramer » September 30th, 2011, 10:41 am

cramer wrote:Sunny and 56 is the forecast for Saturday, that's some pretty ideal working weather!

Check that, high of 56, looks like mid thirties for the start of the trail day, dress warm.
cramer

Postby cramer » September 30th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Just got word that we got some love from Merrell for this trail day. They're picking up the lunch tab as well as giving out some free gifts and a drawing for some free shoes.

SWEET!
cramer

Postby cramer » October 1st, 2011, 5:07 pm

Thanks to all the volunteers that came out today to help build this new trail!

I think we got about half way done. For all the people that wanted to help but couldn't do it today, I'll announce another trail day some time soon where we will finish the trail.

If you look at the GPS of it, the red is where the trail is going and the blue is the part we completed today. The extra bit of blue that is on there not connected to anything is the part where we "jumped the track" a little, but as you can see from the GPS, that time wasn't wasted- that is still part of the trail.

cramer

Postby giantone » October 1st, 2011, 7:12 pm

rode the blue section on the right. I think we will have to go around the two trees about halfway thru what is completed. It looked ok while not on the bike but it will need to be changed.
giantone

Postby RickPlite » October 1st, 2011, 8:25 pm

I rode it on the way to the ski area from Luton today and you guys did a lot of work! It rides bumpy but what new trail doesn't. Thanks for all the hard work and I hope I can make the next work day.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » October 1st, 2011, 9:17 pm

Hope I don't have to work next time so I can make it.

I'm on Tapatalk, expect spelling/grammar mistakes!
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby cramer » October 4th, 2011, 8:44 am

Rode it last night for the first time. Yeah- that passage between those two trees is way too tight. Otherwise I think it turned out really well. Some of the corners might need to be shaped a little for faster speeds down the road.
cramer

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » October 4th, 2011, 9:37 am

Do the said trees grow away from each other at the top, in a V-shape so to speak? If that were the case you could make a ramp up and through like at Fort Custer.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby giantone » October 4th, 2011, 9:40 am

yes that is exactly it LuckyCharm4x4! great idea
giantone

Return to Volunteers Needed