Island Lk. Park Stewardship opportunity

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Island Lk. Park Stewardship opportunity

Postby G.Cook » March 25th, 2011, 8:08 am

Hi all,

Join us for the first garlic mustard pull of the season at Island Lake Recreation Area a week from this Saturday:

Saturday, April 2, 2011
Island Lake Recreation Area, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
If the ground has thawed, we will be pulling garlic mustard. Otherwise we will either cut invasive shrubs or remove small evergreens. Meet at the Riverbend Picnic Area parking lot.

For more information, a map or directions, and to register please click here. If you scroll down to the schedule and click on the name of the park you will go to the parks main page. From there you can view a Unit Map and get driving directions.

Please remember to wear appropriate clothing for outdoor work including long pants and closed-toe shoes and to bring drinking water! We will have work gloves, but feel free to bring your own if you have them.

If a workday must be canceled due to inclement weather, a voice mail message saying so will be posted at 248-359-9057 at least 2 hours before the start of a workday. If there is no cancellation message, the workday will go on as planned.

Please support Michigan's state parks and recreation areas by purchasing Michigan?s $10 Recreation Passport. Starting October 1, 2010 the Recreation Passport replaced the state park sticker to get you into all state parks, state recreation areas and state boat launches. You can purchase a Recreation Passport starting on or after October 1st when renewing your license plate registration through the Secretary of State or when getting a new plate. Get your Recreation Passport and tell your friends and family to do the same. It?s only $10 ? a good deal for you that means a GREAT deal to future generations. The Recreation Passport requirement for entry in state parks and recreation areas has been waived for this volunteer stewardship workday, but purchasing a Recreation Passport will help support our state parks and recreation areas and help preserve state forest campgrounds and trails, historic and cultural sites in state parks and parks in your own community.

If you need to contact the workday leader over the weekend, please call Tom?s cell phone at 517-581-1397. Hope you enjoy the workday,


Laurel Malvitz-Draper

Natural Resource Steward

Stewardship Unit, Parks and Recreation Division

Michigan Department of Natural Resources



phone: 248-359-9057

fax: 248-355-2669

I am generally in the office Wednesday through Friday.

I am generally in the parks Saturday and Sunday.

I will respond to your email as soon as I'm back in the office.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. "

-Margaret Mead

***The Recreation Passport is your $10 ticket to Michigan's state parks and outdoor adventures! Check "YES" when you renew your license plate. Where can $10 take you? ***
Posts: 3162
Joined: June 24th, 2002, 10:17 pm

Return to Volunteers Needed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest