Arcadia Dunes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Arcadia Dunes

Postby Brenton » July 13th, 2015, 11:43 am

Is the big loop the Dry Hill Loop? And if I ride that counter clockwise is that more downhill or uphill?

Thanks guys....and gals
"A BAD DAY ON A MOUNTAIN BIKE ALWAYS BEATS A GOOD DAY IN THE OFFICE"
Brenton

Postby sisu » July 13th, 2015, 12:00 pm

Yep, the big loop is dry hill. A bit more downhill in counterclockwise direction, better flow. Plenty of short, punchy climbs to make you earn your turns.
sisu
Administrator

Postby sisu » July 13th, 2015, 12:02 pm

It gets dark back there, btw. Even at midday. Wear clear lenses.
sisu
Administrator

Postby Brenton » July 13th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Thanks again Sisu! Greatly appreciated.
"A BAD DAY ON A MOUNTAIN BIKE ALWAYS BEATS A GOOD DAY IN THE OFFICE"
Brenton

Postby Nooge » August 9th, 2015, 8:13 am

Great trail! Kudos to the designers. Riding It counterclockwise, it feels like every uphill had been made rolling to tame it easier and every time you get the payoff of a fast, pumptastic downhill. The easy loop is basically a 4 mile pump track to warm up for the climbs on the "hard" loop.

Also, riding it after a rain is great. Turns the sand into hero dirt.

There's a lot of seasonal roads around there that look like they're pretty fun as well.
Nooge

Postby turbotoad » August 17th, 2015, 7:31 pm

Excellent time out there today! A tad bit sandy at the very beginning access trail but the rest was awesome. Rode clockwise and it seems like the first few miles has a LOT of uphill grinding. But it then turns into a fun filled rolling twisting roller coaster for most of the remaining ride. With enough climbs thrown in to keep your legs and lungs busy. No trees down or other major obstructions to speak of, but the sides of the trail were getting a little overgrown in some areas. Definitely a must ride trail if your in the North West area of the state.
turbotoad

Postby Josh McCreedy » October 17th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Three trees down--two in the first short loop (the short loop that is part of the Dry Hills loop) and one near the end of the Dry Hills loop. All are at least 8". Sorry, but a local will have to post up more precise locations.
Josh McCreedy

Postby poirier » November 9th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Several large trees and smaller debris on the trail. Maybe 6-8 that'll require a chainsaw. They're evenly distributed throughout the entire trail (east side)
World's Best Dad Bod

This forum is to be used for entertainment purposes only
poirier

Postby Exodus » May 30th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Big tree down on the trail right at marker 3. Most of the stuff over the trail could probably be removed with a hand saw, but its base is a good 14"

Very very fun trail. Got to ride it the first time today. Did counter clockwise first and its so nice, fun, and smooth on the rigid. The I did it clockwise, and was a little rougher on me, but could have been the lack of being in shape too.

Definitely a must ride if you havent ridden it.
Exodus

Postby turbotoad » June 1st, 2016, 5:54 pm

Rode Dry Hill Loop on Memorial Day (3rd time ever riding it). Trail was fantastic as usual. Although I did notice the first mile or so (clockwise) seem to be a re-route as it was still lumpy and "fresh" looking. Not as much sand as I remembered at the beginning. The big tree was still there at (3)(?), not sure of EXACT location, but was definitely a forced dismount to get around.

I have yet to ride this trail counter-clockwise, but yes there seems to be a lot of climbing clockwise for the first 2 miles, then again in the middle section (mile 6) , and again towards the ending (mile 8 ). With some very fun fast downhill twisties in between.

This time I made the mistake of going from #2 to #5. Got to the road crossing and realized I went the wrong way. So I turned around and went back to #2 then got back on track to #3. This section (2-5) is only .5 mile long (1 mile there and back), but man did it kill me. Lots of up-and-down with very little "flow to keep momentum going. So by the time I got back to #2 I felt like I had ridden half the *beep* trail :oops:

A very Love/Hate trail for me. Love the twisties and fast flowing serpentine sections, but Hate the climbs and find myself just barely moving on uphills towards the end.
turbotoad

Postby Zoo1424 » June 6th, 2016, 7:48 am

Rode Arcadia on 6/5. Trail was in fantastic shape.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby Exodus » June 8th, 2016, 9:20 am

turbotoad wrote: A very Love/Hate trail for me. Love the twisties and fast flowing serpentine sections, but Hate the climbs and find myself just barely moving on uphills towards the end.

Stop riding it the wrong way then! hahaha

I had so much fun going counter clockwise.
Exodus

Postby ahopkins1988 » June 20th, 2016, 8:14 am

Was camping at Platte Lake this past weekend, rode the trail Saturday morning and it was in perfect shape. Thanks to who ever cleared the fallen trees that looked very recently cut. I needed all of the momentum I could keep! Love the trail though even though I took my first "real" (have never crashed at speed) wipe out on the "deep dark forest downhill". Nothing hurt other then my pride as my friend laughing at me after he made sure I was ok. Rear tire bounced out sideways on a rock and when it landed it went out the front superman style so I am sure it was fun to watch from behind. :shock:
--
Andrew

2011 Trek Mamba 29er, 2003 Trek 4500
ahopkins1988

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments