Arcadia Dunes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Arcadia Dunes

Postby Steve_Balogh » August 30th, 2012, 5:03 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Having so much fun riding this great trail last year, I'm going to visit it again next week, but when I was there
before they were having vehicle break-in problems. (there were signs posted before, so I will look for them?)
Does anyone know if this is still an issue ? Should I park down the road someplace instead of the trailhead ?

Please advise.

I did not park at the main MTB trailhead, but across the street at the other trailhead, Lake-Michigan side. Way more people there when I was there. I believe there's three trailheads there.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Bento » August 30th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Small data point: I was there riding two weekends ago. No issues at the St. Pierre parking lot. I had "first tracks" & after 2 loops, there were 5 cars in the lot. I went out for a road ride and returned in the afternoon, still five cars. Gotta believe over Labor Day weekend it will be busier. I suppose you could park at the MDOT Roadside Park to the south. Lots of traffic there, which can be good and bad. I slept there the prior night as I could not find a campsite or cheap room.

By the way, the trail was pleasure to ride. Thanks to those that worked/work on it. The fatbike was a welcome companion with the sandier portions. It had rained the prior day and the trail saw a fair bit of water flow.
Bento

Postby Bigtymer » August 31st, 2012, 8:13 am

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Having so much fun riding this great trail last year, I'm going to visit it again next week, but when I was there
before they were having vehicle break-in problems. (there were signs posted before, so I will look for them?)
Does anyone know if this is still an issue ? Should I park down the road someplace instead of the trailhead ?

Please advise.

I think the only thing you should have to worry about is not to leave anything valuable, visible for a thief to see. My car was broken into two years ago on labor day weekend because the thief saw my girlfriend's purse and broke in. So just leave your valuables in your pack or in the trunk of the car, and you should be fine:)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » September 2nd, 2012, 8:14 am

Yeah, after I saw the notices and piles of broken door glass on the ground, I gathered up and packed all my valueables and
wrote a little note to the potential theives informing them of this and not to bother with mine. My vehicle was fine when I returned.

It might not even be an issue now, but I think I will park down or across the street from the same trailhead just to be safe. I'll be there
during the day on Monday or Tuesday, so there probably won't be so many other cars. Thanks for the info !
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby bgerlach » September 17th, 2012, 7:50 am

Mercifully, no break ins this summer at Arcadia Dunes. The Benzie County Sheriff's Office indicated to us last fall that they had arrested a suspect but were not sure if that person was responsible for all the thefts.

Also, we have completed (with the help of some great volunteers) a reroute around what we call the Meadow. The Meadow had become cupped and very sandy - the reroute stays in the forest and has some excellent elevation change to it. It should be more sustainable and more enjoyable to ride.

I did note the comments above about some sand on the trail, which we have seen as well. We will be undertaking a thorough trail spruce up next spring to address those spots - we have some cupping, etc. Of course some of it comes from having very light soils in some areas.

Brad Gerlach
GTRLC Stewardship staff
bgerlach

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » September 17th, 2012, 11:30 am

bgerlach wrote:Mercifully, no break ins this summer at Arcadia Dunes. The Benzie County Sheriff's Office indicated to us last fall that they had arrested a suspect but were not sure if that person was responsible for all the thefts.

Also, we have completed (with the help of some great volunteers) a reroute around what we call the Meadow. The Meadow had become cupped and very sandy - the reroute stays in the forest and has some excellent elevation change to it. It should be more sustainable and more enjoyable to ride.

Hope they got the guy.

Thanks you for your efforts here. When I rode the trail in August, the Meadow (if I am talking about the same part of the trail) was very very sandy and rutted in places. I'm anxious to ride the reroute.
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby bgerlach » September 18th, 2012, 7:47 pm

lunge bob sweatpants wrote:
bgerlach wrote:Mercifully, no break ins this summer at Arcadia Dunes. The Benzie County Sheriff's Office indicated to us last fall that they had arrested a suspect but were not sure if that person was responsible for all the thefts.

Hope they got the guy.

Thanks you for your efforts here. When I rode the trail in August, the Meadow (if I am talking about the same part of the trail) was very very sandy and rutted in places. I'm anxious to ride the reroute.

Yep, that would be the Meadow - feedback on the reroute has been very good.
bgerlach

Postby volklgirl » September 20th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Thanks for the reroute, guys! (That said though.......)

I rode counterclockwise last weekend and found that the Meadow reroute lacks the Arcadia mystique that makes you WANT to climb knowing that there's an amazing rollercoaster of fun awaiting you at the top. Going this direction, the reroute just climbs and climbs and climbs and climbs with no reward in sight. While it's got great tread and is better than the Meadow, I found it disappointing and grueling and ended up suffering through the remainder (and funnest part) of the trail. :cry: I was so tired, in fact, that I rode off the log bridge for the first time in a couple of years.

I guess I'll try the trail going clockwise next time to see if I like it any better that way.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby bgerlach » September 21st, 2012, 9:19 am

volklgirl wrote:Thanks for the reroute, guys! (That said though.......)

I rode counterclockwise last weekend and found that the Meadow reroute lacks the Arcadia mystique that makes you WANT to climb knowing that there's an amazing rollercoaster of fun awaiting you at the top. Going this direction, the reroute just climbs and climbs and climbs and climbs with no reward in sight. While it's got great tread and is better than the Meadow, I found it disappointing and grueling and ended up suffering through the remainder (and funnest part) of the trail. :cry: I was so tired, in fact, that I rode off the log bridge for the first time in a couple of years.

I guess I'll try the trail going clockwise next time to see if I like it any better that way.

Thanks for the feedback - I can see counterclockwise would be more climbing. Sorry you are disappointed.

Brad
bgerlach

Postby volklgirl » September 21st, 2012, 1:10 pm

Hey, no prob at all. It just gives me an excuse to finally try the "correct" direction! :wink:
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby volklgirl » September 29th, 2012, 11:12 am

If anyone can get out there soon with a chainsaw, there's a tree done at around mile 6.5 clockwise. It's too big to drag, too high to go over, and too low to go under.
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby bgerlach » October 2nd, 2012, 6:22 pm

volklgirl wrote:If anyone can get out there soon with a chainsaw, there's a tree done at around mile 6.5 clockwise. It's too big to drag, too high to go over, and too low to go under.

If one of the regulars has not already done so, we'll get it tomorrow. Thanks for the report.

Brad
bgerlach

Postby volklgirl » October 3rd, 2012, 3:25 pm

PS. Going clockwise was interesting. The climbs are longer but more gradual while the downhills are shorter and more technical. Going this way makes the reroute one of my favorite sections of trail!
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby JF » November 16th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Anyone know if Arcadia is safe to ride during hunting season this weekend?
JF

Postby AllMountin' » November 16th, 2012, 11:18 pm

JF wrote:Anyone know if Arcadia is safe to ride during hunting season this weekend?

Info on hunting can be found here: http://www.gtrlc.org/preserves/hunting-rules/

It appears that hunting is permitted at Arcadia, and extra doe permits were issued this year to control the population. Apparently, the deer are eating too much of the desirable vegetation. From that link:

Unless otherwise noted below (Preserve Specific “Permitted Seasons”), rules regulating hunting on Conservancy Preserves open to hunting are the same as those set forth by the MDNR.

Trails are NOT closed during hunting seasons.

Due to the meandering design of the trails on the Preserves please familiarize yourself with the location of all trails and other structures before proceeding with hunting.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments