Arcadia Dunes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Arcadia Dunes

Postby bb_udell » July 12th, 2011, 3:20 pm

being from little kentucky, you probably would have gotten along well with the hillbillies you mentioned. no break-ins so far this year.
bb_udell

Postby thud » July 12th, 2011, 9:43 pm

Bigtymer wrote:Rode yesterday. Amazing trail, but my car and another car were broken into yesterday while I was riding. Beware, and don't leave your wallet or purse in the car. The thieves are just looking for cash.

As I was saying .... didn't mean anything personally with the hillbilly comment by the way, sorry if it hit a little close to home. Just out of curiosity has anyone ever proposed mandating trail riding in one direction? Haven't had any close encounters yet, but definately could see some collisions happening in certain spots.
thud

Postby Bigtymer » July 13th, 2011, 10:07 am

I think by having the trail only one direction you miss out on a lot of lines. Plus riding it the other way gives it a different feel, like your on a different trail. I've been to Colorado, Utah, and California none of the trails out west ride in one direction. Even the imba trails out west like Downieville or Buffalo Creek are multi-directional. Imba doesn't make one direction trails and Arcadia is IMBA trail, but in Michigan it seems to be the trend except for the NCT.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby kalkaskawinterfest » July 13th, 2011, 10:21 am

Riding both direction also reduces the amount of braking {wear} going into the corners.
kalkaskawinterfest

Postby djansen00 » August 1st, 2011, 5:12 pm

Rode this trail for the first time ever today. It was quite possibly the most fun I've ever had mountain biking. Incredibly well designed and amazingly beautiful. The flow was over the top. I'm up in Glen Arbor for the week and I'm going to do my best to get back here once or twice more.
Dave
Wheels in Motion Racing - http://wimracing.org
Dirty Dropouts Email Ride List - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dirtydropouts
djansen00

Postby Bigtymer » August 2nd, 2011, 1:49 am

The IMBA knows what they're doing:)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby benl » August 3rd, 2011, 11:25 am

I'm with everyone else - stunned at how awesome Arcadia is. Great flow and well-constructed slopes in both directions - modern sustainable trail techniques are so much more effective (and fun to ride) than old erosion-prone straight up-and-down the hill trails.

Having ridden mostly on MMBA trails with the exception of general unmarked trails in Sweden, I was a bit confused about the lack of directional markings - but I see now. We rode it clockwise; we'll have to try it the other way next time. The only part I can see being a bit of a downer going counterclockwise is how the long downhill through the meadow two and a half miles in when going clockwise turns into a long uphill in the sun.

With a trail that good it's hard to believe there weren't more people riding there... Before we left from the trailhead half a dozen other riders finished together and left, and there weren't any other riders the entire hour and ten minutes it took us to finish the loop (including a few water breaks). That was early Saturday afternoon!

And yes, there was glass in the parking lot, but no break-ins while we were there. I hope they catch the thieves...

Just for the record, the map "Powered by Google" in the trail guide shows the trailhead at wrong end of St. Pierre Road - the trail map has it right, but it ought to be fixed so that no one gets confused.
benl

Postby doubledadster » August 9th, 2011, 11:12 am

Arcadia Dunes is certainly in my "lifetime top 5" trails. I rode it 4 or 5 times in the past couple of weeks - even rode it on the CX bike one day (not as good as I thought it would be - even though the trail had firmed up after rain). My favorite direction is a figure-of-eight: clockwise on the short loop and counter on the long loop. The downhills in that direction are more flowy and fast. The opposite direction seemed to slightly more technical - there always seemed to be a tree / root on the entrance or exit to a corner that moves you off the "perfect line"(either that, or I was just not riding well that day).
doubledadster

Postby djansen00 » August 9th, 2011, 12:38 pm

benl wrote:The only part I can see being a bit of a downer going counterclockwise is how the long downhill through the meadow two and a half miles in when going clockwise turns into a long uphill in the sun.

Yeah, that meadow going counter clockwise....It's the only part of the trail that I'd say is not that fun.
Dave
Wheels in Motion Racing - http://wimracing.org
Dirty Dropouts Email Ride List - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dirtydropouts
djansen00

Postby ignition16 » August 17th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Made the drive up and rode it on Monday. Took a lap counter-clockwise, and I will definitely say that it is worth the drive up from GR! I like the long climbs and love the fast flowy downhill and flat sections. It was a little sandy through the meadow, but not too bad. I can't wait to go back!
ignition16

Postby mtb_frk » August 22nd, 2011, 6:57 pm

Rode the trail yesterday. We did it clockwise, what a great trail!! Will have to go back and try it counter-clockwise next time.
Nice meeting everyone after the group ride also.
mtb_frk

Postby miGTRider » August 23rd, 2011, 2:05 pm

Had the pleasure of riding this trail yesterday...fantastic! Went clockwise to avoid doing the "meadow" area that has a few sand traps in it up hill. Looking forward to my next trip north to hit this trail again.
miGTRider

Postby bikemore9 » August 25th, 2011, 9:44 am

My favorite trail up north. Unfortanatly, i've been hurt this season and haven't made it over there yet but I'm planning to SOON. I usually ride it once in each direction and when i'm done I can't figure out which i like better, they both have different pluses I ride a 26 full sus. Overall it flows well I just love the trail. Does anyone know if they are still having break in problems as of August ll? I know late last year it was bad you'd think they'd catch em' by now.
bikemore9

Postby daisylubob » September 6th, 2011, 1:31 pm

We rode it for the 1st time on Sunday. Did the 1st loop counterclockwise, 2nd loop clockwise. Really great trail, fun, somewhat technical and swoopy enough to make me pay attention. It is definitely worth the 1 hr drive from TC, we will be going back there! :)
"One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is that his tail wags instead of his tongue."(unknown)

http://www.darkhorsegirls.blogspot.com/
daisylubob

Postby dirtjunkie » September 21st, 2011, 10:25 am

WOW!! What a great trail. My hats off to the trail designers and folks who are working on this trail. Incredible fun. It's very clear that there was a ton of thought, planning and work that went into this loop. I will most definitely be back.

NOTE: When comparing the shown map on the Trail Guide page to the written directions above the map, I found out that they do not match up.....after a few phone calls and driving up and down M22. The current google map location that is posted on the Trail Guide is not correct. It shows the staging area as south of Arcadia. It is north of Arcadia, by about 2 miles or so. There appear to be no markers to indicate where the small parking lot is.

Although it was a little tough to find....I will most definitely be back! This is an incredible trail. The views of Lake Michigan are amazing.
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
http://crosscountrycycle.com/
dirtjunkie

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments