Arcadia Dunes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Arcadia Dunes

Postby SteveF » May 18th, 2011, 6:36 am

Sortaslow wrote:I like this trail counterclockwise the best.

Me too...it's counterintuitive but it seems like there's more climbing going clockwise. I think it's because the uphills are longer that way and packed toward the first part. Which mean when ridden counterclockwise, the long descents are at the end and fun!

I've only ridden there twice, once each direction, so this is based on first impressions. I'm definitely riding there again this year! Hope this constant threat of rain is over by mid-June... :evil:
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby owosso bob » June 25th, 2011, 11:13 am

SteveF and I got a chance to ride this trail again 2 weeks ago and you just can not quit grinning afterwards . I sure wished that it was closer to get to .
owosso bob

Postby AllMountin' » June 26th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Mid-Staters reppin' at Arcadia- rode there for the first time today. Lapped the outer counter-clockwise, and was gonna call it. Got back to the TH and found the City Bike crew ready to roll, so I lapped it again with them. This time we rode clockwise on the Dry Hill, but switched the two miler to make a figure eight.

Much of it reminds me of the best parts of Stony, but less rocky, and with more vertical game.

Great ride. Perfect conditions. Perfect day. Don't forget to top it off with a dip in the big lake at Arcadia.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Nelg » June 26th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Trail was in perfect shape and in true Arcadia fashion, gives more smiles per mile than any place else in the north. Hope the mid-state crew enjoyed!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby AllMountin' » June 26th, 2011, 8:43 pm

Just thought I'd throw the log out there, since some people find them useful and/or interesting.

From the first loop- counter-clockwise and outer only: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/iq6UVLWMGRc

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95137189

Max speed on Garmin site is inaccurate (obviously).
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby detroitjohnny » July 6th, 2011, 9:50 am

couple buddies and I rode out there saturday. Man, I love this trail!!! 8)

conditions were perfect. One lap clockwise, one lap counter.
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby bleve » July 6th, 2011, 2:32 pm

Hoping to head up this weekend and finally check out this trail with the wife. Only problem is she hasn't really ridden much this year. Is the climbing going to be a problem for her? I thought about doing the 2 mile loop closer to the lake to start and gauge how she'll handle the big loop but I wasn't sure if they were the same topography. And it seems counter clockwise is the preferred direction?
bleve

Postby yamaha13 » July 6th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Rode there this past weekend. The funnest trail I have ever ridden.
yamaha13

Postby volklgirl » July 6th, 2011, 8:40 pm

There's very little sustained climbing on the Dry Hill loop. Counterclockwise, there's a climb right away, a climb once you cross the road, and one more later on. That said, I'm a climbing pansy and I've only walked a small portion of the climb near the road. Just take your time, stop regularly, don't push her and you'll be fine. It's such a great rolly trail with plenty of recovery and "Woo Hoo!!!" time. If you're really worried, try the 3 mile Chestnut loop and see how that goes.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby SteveF » July 7th, 2011, 6:41 am

bleve wrote:Hoping to head up this weekend and finally check out this trail with the wife. Only problem is she hasn't really ridden much this year. Is the climbing going to be a problem for her? I thought about doing the 2 mile loop closer to the lake to start and gauge how she'll handle the big loop but I wasn't sure if they were the same topography. And it seems counter clockwise is the preferred direction?

There's climbing but it's well designed-nothing too steep or technical. Counter clockwise seems to flow a little better, yes.

The woods and terrain is so beautiful that stopping for a rest or walking a hill or two will not bother you a bit. I rode there with a pretty inexperienced rider when I was up there a coupla weeks ago and I expected to be champing at the bit but it was actually pretty cool to take time to smell the roses and such...

...plus your wife will ride with you and mine won't so what are you worrying about? :wink:
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby G.Cook » July 7th, 2011, 8:51 am

Interesting comments . Since , for the most part , Arcadia was machine built with IMBA sustainability trail construction concepts . No blown out , bombed out , sand engulfed fall line trail sections throughout the whole trail system and folks still had FUN . Amazing ain't it ? :wink:
G.Cook

Postby c0nsumer » July 7th, 2011, 9:06 am

G.Cook wrote:Interesting comments . Since , for the most part , Arcadia was machine built with IMBA sustainability trail construction concepts . No blown out , bombed out , sand engulfed fall line trail sections throughout the whole trail system and folks still had FUN . Amazing ain't it ? :wink:

One can also tell that it won't take much maintenance for it to last. Sure, a bit of trimming and deadfall removal will be needed, but none of it looked like it'd require a reroute or surface work for the forseeable future.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Bigtymer » July 7th, 2011, 9:14 am

You shouldn't have any trouble bringing your wife to the Arcadia trail. Michigan has no technical or advanced riding. Although they rate them advanced, there isn't a trail in Michigan that should be rated Advanced. The only tough climbs in the whole state our in the UP or on the Mesick to Redbridge section of the NCT. Even those are easy.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby bleve » July 12th, 2011, 12:32 pm

We had a great ride this past weekend although breaking my chain just over a mile in wasn't one of the breaks I was expecting. I did decide to just take it easy and follow my wife at that point and let her set the pace so I wouldn't stress the chain for the rest of the ride. Turns out that was great for me, I found myself looking around a lot more than I normally would and just enjoying the woods. I'd love to go back now and give it a push to really roll those hills. I found myself floating up on her back tire all the time just rolling, not even pedaling. And as far as I could tell we were the only ones riding counter clockwise. There were no cars in the lot when we started and we passed 8 riders coming at us.

Funny story to add. Back in the lot I wanted to cross the road and check out the short loop and "Old Baldy". My wife decided to drive to the other lot and walk the shorter distance. When we met up on the sand dune she said back in the lot there was a guy on a motorcycle and a family probably hiking out and the dad of the family was really staring at her bike on our rear rack which she thought was odd. Since I rolled back to the car I got there first and saw a ziplock bag stuck under my rear wiper blade. It had a small amount of marijuana in it! So when she got back to the car I asked her if there was something she wanted to tell me and of course she was mystified until I pointed out the bag. She tried to hand it to me and I said I didn't want my fingerprints on it - looked like a set up to me! So I'm wondering if it was the lone guy on the motorcycle trying to pick up the apparently single lady or one of the teenagers hiding it from his dad.
bleve

Postby thud » July 12th, 2011, 2:33 pm

Love the trail out there, was able to get on it a few times this past week, but a little leery of the isolation you sometimes feel at the trailhead. I've read some past posts of cars being broken into and sure enough saw plenty of broken auto glass on the ground when I was there. Noticed some hillbillies speeding by and then suddenly slow down and start gawking at me as I was unloading the bike one time - had a brief Deliverence moment (not in the Ned Beatty since though)! I usually make sure I take my wallet along for the ride when I'm at Arcadia.
thud

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments