NMMBA: Arcadia Dunes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Arcadia Dunes

Postby icebiker » November 21st, 2010, 3:38 pm

I heard that were 37 dead-falls on the Arcadia trail. Are there plans to remove them ? thanks
icebiker

Postby GTRLC-steve » March 7th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Hi All, training indoors is only tolerable this time of year because the weather is hinting that we will be able actually RIDE soon. We are planning on getting out and clearing the AD trail as soon as we can after the snow is gone. But with that date being so unpredictable I know we wont be able to get to it before a bunch of you have had a chance to ride the trail. It would be very helpful if you could give us a heads-up about where problem spots are, big logs and such, so we can target those spots. A description of the problem and a rough location like ?8inch tree across trail just past mile marker six? would be great. You can post on this MMBA forum thread, or email me directly at the conservancy at slagerquist@gtrlc.org.
Thanks very much and see you on the trail soon.
Steve
GTRLC-steve

Postby volklgirl » March 23rd, 2011, 12:59 pm

@ Steve - let us know if you need help out there!
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby GTRLC-steve » April 7th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Hi All, given the warm rain scheduled for this weekend (which should kill any snow left on the trail) we are going to conduct the first trail clearing next Thursday, April the 14th. If you would like to show up and help out that would be great. We plan to be at the St, Pierre parking lot at 9:30am. Bring clippers and hand saws if you have them. Also if you are planning on riding the Dry Hill loop before next Thursday any reports you can give us about trail issues (trees down etc.) would be way helpful. Give us a reference point if you find an issue like (tree down just past mile marker 8 while going clockwise) would be way helpful too.
Thanks much, and we?ll see on the trail.
GTRLC-steve

Postby detroitjohnny » April 10th, 2011, 8:00 am

This is one of my favorite trails, I would love to come help but there's no way I can get there on a Thursday. :(

has anyone been out to ride here yet? The vasa is not quite clear yet, although after last nights storm and this mornings rain it might be close. Was thinking Arcadia might have less snow?
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby kblakeyshell » April 11th, 2011, 5:51 am

Arcadia on Saturday and it is good to go for the season!! A couple trees down but hopefully we can get those out in the next week or so.
kblakeyshell

Postby Purple is a Fruit » May 2nd, 2011, 4:48 pm

Are the trails in good shape after the rain/snow the last couple of weeks? Trees cleared out? Just curious as I am looking to head up there this weekend for some riding.
Nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool.
Purple is a Fruit

Postby Irish57 » May 17th, 2011, 9:26 am

What a terrific trail system this is! Rode it May 16- had a day off from work. The trail is very hard-packed and very fast. Definitely an intermediate trail and I found out what kind of shape I'm in. What makes this so fun is the trails are cut into the sides of the hills. So the elevation changes aren't quite as noticeable. Definitely the best trail I've ridden in Michigan. It was worth the 2.5 hour drive from GR. If you are in the NW side of the state and are looking for a trail to ride this one has to be at the top. :!:
Irish57

Postby volklgirl » May 17th, 2011, 1:04 pm

Shhhhhh....
Quit telling people that. We like it just the way it is....empty. :D
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby Sortaslow » May 17th, 2011, 1:40 pm

I like this trail counterclockwise the best.
Sortaslow

Postby SteveF » May 18th, 2011, 6:36 am

Sortaslow wrote:I like this trail counterclockwise the best.

Me too...it's counterintuitive but it seems like there's more climbing going clockwise. I think it's because the uphills are longer that way and packed toward the first part. Which mean when ridden counterclockwise, the long descents are at the end and fun!

I've only ridden there twice, once each direction, so this is based on first impressions. I'm definitely riding there again this year! Hope this constant threat of rain is over by mid-June... :evil:
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby owosso bob » June 25th, 2011, 11:13 am

SteveF and I got a chance to ride this trail again 2 weeks ago and you just can not quit grinning afterwards . I sure wished that it was closer to get to .
owosso bob

Postby AllMountin' » June 26th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Mid-Staters reppin' at Arcadia- rode there for the first time today. Lapped the outer counter-clockwise, and was gonna call it. Got back to the TH and found the City Bike crew ready to roll, so I lapped it again with them. This time we rode clockwise on the Dry Hill, but switched the two miler to make a figure eight.

Much of it reminds me of the best parts of Stony, but less rocky, and with more vertical game.

Great ride. Perfect conditions. Perfect day. Don't forget to top it off with a dip in the big lake at Arcadia.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Nelg » June 26th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Trail was in perfect shape and in true Arcadia fashion, gives more smiles per mile than any place else in the north. Hope the mid-state crew enjoyed!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby AllMountin' » June 26th, 2011, 8:43 pm

Just thought I'd throw the log out there, since some people find them useful and/or interesting.

From the first loop- counter-clockwise and outer only: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/iq6UVLWMGRc

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95137189

Max speed on Garmin site is inaccurate (obviously).
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions