CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby PK » September 11th, 2014, 5:42 am

I was witness to a near-death "bee" sting at Stony a few years ago.
I now carry chew-able Benedryl in my Camelbak. While it's not an Eppi-pin, I've been told by my doctor it could help.

The rider was stung up high, either in the neck or head as I recall and was starting to suffocate.
He is a doctor and was very much aware of the seriousness of what was happening.
EMS arrived in time and he was fine after a brief hospital stay, but later-on we were informed that the timing of medical help likely did save his life.

By the way, he didn't carry an Eppi-pin because he's never had an allergic reaction to "bee" stings before...

911 was his friend that day.

Pete.
PK

Postby Jim O » September 11th, 2014, 8:59 am

Pete,
I as well witnessed a near-death sting. A friend of mine was stung inside his mouth(never ride with your mouth open). His face started to swell immediately. We decided to turn back. By the time we got back to the car(couple miles) I could not see his right eye. Immediately went to the emergency room and he was treated and recovered. His tongue had almost swollen completely cutting off air supply. I often think what would have happened if we had not been close to the car. He never had a previous reaction.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby c0nsumer » September 12th, 2014, 9:38 am

River Bends was clear last night. A little greasy and wet in spots, but nothing bad. It should be fine today. Thanks to jer091 the trees have all been removed, but due to the most recent storm there is a little bit of deadfall on the trail. I moved the most notable stuff that I came across, the rest is just the usual trail debris.

Also, with what exists of the new Lazy River section a full ride of all single track and back to the trailhead w/o the Swamp Loop is 5.25 miles. Looks like we're getting some decent pure-trail distance out there. (For a small suburban park, that is.)
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » September 16th, 2014, 3:14 pm

The south end of the park has been changed even further today. You now must stay to the left and begin riding the Lazy River section, the old groove of trail that dumps out into the ITC corridor across from the S turns is now closed. The new, single-loop piece in the south end is essentially complete.

You'll ride it by heading south on Blue, stay to the left, cross the ITC corridor, and follow the groove / cleared spot south, back north, south again, down the double-berm hill, up the bench cut climb, then back north (optionally riding the Red trail) where you'll get dumped out on to the edge of the ITC corridor. Follow this north for a few hundred feet then veer left on to the newly cut trail which provides a view down the ridge and along the power lines (this is a really pretty spot around sunset). After this you'll end up pointing back north just past where you originally went left. (The few hundred feet of going along the ITC corridor will become a clearer route shortly... But for all intents and purposes it'll follow that corridor.)

Signage is coming soon, likely by the end of the week, along with a map update.

If you are heading in from the train tracks and wish to head straight to the north end of the park, turn right slightly sooner than normal and ride this new piece of trail. Otherwise, immediately turn left and ride Lazy River first. (If you are confused, stop and look around. Everything is very close together here, and the old piece of trail didn't make sense where it was and thus needed to go away.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby crappybiker4508 » September 17th, 2014, 7:57 am

c0nsumer wrote:The south end of the park has been changed even further today. You now must stay to the left and begin riding the Lazy River section, the old groove of trail that dumps out into the ITC corridor across from the S turns is now closed. The new, single-loop piece in the south end is essentially complete.

You'll ride it by heading south on Blue, stay to the left, cross the ITC corridor, and follow the groove / cleared spot south, back north, south again, down the double-berm hill, up the bench cut climb, then back north (optionally riding the Red trail) where you'll get dumped out on to the edge of the ITC corridor. Follow this north for a few hundred feet then veer left on to the newly cut trail which provides a view down the ridge and along the power lines (this is a really pretty spot around sunset). After this you'll end up pointing back north just past where you originally went left. (The few hundred feet of going along the ITC corridor will become a clearer route shortly... But for all intents and purposes it'll follow that corridor.)

Signage is coming soon, likely by the end of the week, along with a map update.

If you are heading in from the train tracks and wish to head straight to the north end of the park, turn right slightly sooner than normal and ride this new piece of trail. Otherwise, immediately turn left and ride Lazy River first. (If you are confused, stop and look around. Everything is very close together here, and the old piece of trail didn't make sense where it was and thus needed to go away.)

Amped to ride it. That view is probobly awesome.
'01 stumpjumper fsr. Stoney Creek is home turf
crappybiker4508

Postby c0nsumer » September 17th, 2014, 1:56 pm

South end has been signed, including replacing some that went missing. GIS data gathered for mapping, so a new map should be coming soon.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Scott Mac » September 25th, 2014, 9:48 pm

Rode most of the single tack today, great conditions. I just started riding at River bends this summer, it's a great spot for the Utica area. Roots in the trail through a large area of single track were painted safety orange recently, making it easy to navigate around them at a faster pace.
Scott Mac

Postby i69whitey » Yesterday, 7:42 pm

Scott Mac wrote:Roots in the trail through a large area of single track were painted safety orange recently, making it easy to navigate around them at a faster pace.

Sorry, Scott, but this is WRONG!!!
Riding in the woods involves roots, rocks, loose sand, bumps, and various NATURAL obstacles.
Blaze orange has no place in the trails (except possibly to TEMPORARILY mark a dangerous hazard)
running or biking in the trails is supposed to be harder, that's the point (and one of the reasons we do not the paved path)

can we find out which promoter (at Stony Bloomer and now Riverbends) seems that it is their right to vandalize our trails?
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments