CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » April 12th, 2014, 7:22 am

jer091 and I have decided to call River Bends open. Just please, please skip the second half of the Between The Trails Trail.

To do this, when you are heading north and pass through the large, open field with the gentle curve in it, take the hiker trail either left or right out to two track and continue your ride from there. This aerial image shows the field we're talking about, but it's pretty obvious if you are familiar with the trail. If you continue past this you'll encounter a downed tree then the mud shown above; something which should be avoided for the time being.

With rains coming please be cognizant of the conditions when riding. If it's muddy, skip the ride... If not, enjoy! (I was out there two nights ago on a fatbike, and most spots were mid-summer post-storm tacky but firm. Today is expected to be the same way.)

Note that there is a fair bit of deadfall on the trail, and some downed trees. All of this can be avoided while riding, but come out to our trail work day next weekend, April 19th to help get the trail back into tip-top shape. Meet in the parking lot near the trail head at 10am. We'll be giving the trail a spring cleaning; taking care of deadfall, filling some small holes, etc.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » April 14th, 2014, 9:50 am

Join us for a trail day at River Bends on Saturday, April 19th. Meet in the main parking lot at 10am bringing the usual supplies of gloves, water, eye protection, etc.

This day is to clear the trails of deadfall and tweak a few sections to get the trail ready for riding this spring.

There's a Facebook event available here, and all of the CRAMBA trail days can be found here on the CRAMBA-IMBA calendar.

See you there!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby jer091 » April 16th, 2014, 12:05 pm

**River Bends Update 16 April 2014**

Bad news, good news, and bad news.....

1. The trail surface is in poor condition as of today. The snow melting has created a 1/4-1/2" muck layer on top. Foot traffic is creating indentations, so bike traffic will also not be good. Lets give it another day or 2 to dry out again.

2. In the next few weeks there will be a railroad crossing built on the south end of the park. :icon_thumleft:

3. also in the next few weeks ITC and associates (power line company) will be building/clearing a 10 foot path to replace once of the power line towers. Below is a rough guess based off of the map I saw today from the surveyor I ran into today surveying the area for the route. They state they will try to stay off the "trails" but there is not that much room to do that. He also did not have many answers to if it will be improved or just cleared, or if they are returning it to a natural state or not, and if any of it on the west of the tracks will be used for the Utica/RB path. The east side and railroad crossing will be permanent and incorporated into the Utica/RB paved path.

jer091

Postby PK » April 16th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Talk the construction crew into rebuilding the disturbed area into a pump track / flow trail!

Pete.
PK

Postby tripleskulls » April 16th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Is the railroad crossing the much-rumored paved connection to Memorial Park / Heritage Park / Clinton River Trails? Will the construction of the crossgin (& paved trail?) close a section of RB mountain bike trails?
tripleskulls

Postby madmike23 » April 17th, 2014, 8:49 am

Anyone been out there since the rain and snow this week?
madmike23

Postby jer091 » April 17th, 2014, 9:29 am

jer091 wrote:**River Bends Update 16 April 2014**

Bad news, good news, and bad news.....

1. The trail surface is in poor condition as of today. The snow melting has created a 1/4-1/2" muck layer on top. Foot traffic is creating indentations, so bike traffic will also not be good. Lets give it another day or 2 to dry out again.

Head on out the and see, but if the trailhead is mucky please stop, it will not get any better.

Also please skip the second half of the between the trails trail (after the open field) that whole area is still deep mud.
jer091

Postby FLIPMODES » Yesterday, 8:43 pm

The trail was in great shape tonite all the way up to the cut out by the field. On the negative side, there may have been some vandals that started a brush fire in the field just left of the cut out where Jeremy mentioned the detour. The police and fire department were called and arrived super fast. Fortunately none of the single track appeared to be harmed from the fire.

Also wanted to say great job today to everybody that participated in the trail day. I like the additions to the trail. I would have liked to attended myself but I had prior engagements.
Last edited by FLIPMODES on April 19th, 2014, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
FLIPMODES

Postby c0nsumer » Yesterday, 9:06 pm

FLIPMODES wrote:The trail was in great shape tonite all the way up to the cut out by the field. On the negative side, there may have been some vandals that started a brush fire in the field just left of the cut out where Jeremy mentioned the detour. The police and fire department were called and arrived super fast. Fortunately none of the single track appeared to be harmed from the fire.

Youch. Glad you were there to call before it got too big.

FLIPMODES wrote:Also wanted to say great job today to everybody that participated in the trail day. I like the additions to the trail. I would have liked to attended myself but I had prior engagements.

Thank you, and thanks to everyone that came out! We accomplished:

1) One of the newer bridges reworked based on new-found seeps.
2) LOTS of wet spots patched, thanks to the Gator and gravel drop that Jeremy made happen.
3) Entrance to the very original single track rerouted to dramatically increase speed and flow. A grade reversal / roller was put in, but it's needs some work. It's a little small at the moment and is more like a small jump; we'll have to fix or remove that.
4) Log pile built out of a fallen tree.
5) Tasty pizza was eaten! (Thanks, Kristi!)

Plus, a bunch of needed tweaks.

Thanks for coming out, Kristi, Mark, Bob, Rob, Mike, Mike, Mark, Erik! (I really hope I didn't forget anyone... please yell at me if I did. I'm going off the wavers for names...)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby pharus » Today, 6:48 pm

Rode today. Tree down after the burn area just before log pile. Hand saw would do it. Lots of mid still in the section after that , I would let it dry another week.

Love the reworked original entrance !
2004 Giant NRS-2
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments