CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby Dark-Fx » May 17th, 2016, 3:01 pm

okanejc wrote:This morning was about the same. About 10 muddy patches between #13 and the roller coaster bridge. Still a little soft in places. Hopefully the trail will be especially fast this evening for the 6:30 group ride.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Guess I'll bring my fatbike tonight!
Dark-Fx

Postby c0nsumer » May 17th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Dark-Fx wrote:
okanejc wrote:This morning was about the same. About 10 muddy patches between #13 and the roller coaster bridge. Still a little soft in places. Hopefully the trail will be especially fast this evening for the 6:30 group ride.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Guess I'll bring my fatbike tonight!

I'll check it out, but depending we may well just skip that part of the trail. There's an easy way to do so. (Turn at 13 and either take the two track or pavement back.)
Steve Vigneau
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby utabintarbo » May 18th, 2016, 5:11 am

okanejc wrote:I did not venture into the 'swamp'

Few do and live to tell about it. ;)
Addison Oaks TC

Latest additions to the quiver:
2010 Black Sheep Stellar
2011 Carver Fat Bike
2010 Jones Spaceframe
2013 Carver Trans-Fat
2012 Surly Krampus

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby jreyst » May 18th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Rode two laps minus the swamp. On my first lap at the fork heading into the swamp there were two guys coming out carrying mud caked bikes. The usual muddy spots in C are still there, and quite bad. When is the next trail day and is there a chance we could put some logs in that area, or modify the slope to direct drainage somehow?
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby Roy » May 19th, 2016, 7:17 am

John,
It might be possible to drain the swamp, if pipe was put in. But I really doubt the environmentalists would allow that.
Wood planking is never fun to ride on. ( the east side of Bald Mt. North is an example) That just leaves dragging in by hand huge quanties of rock and gravel.
But rock and gravel could just sink into the mud. It is what it is!

Roy
Roy

Postby jreyst » May 19th, 2016, 7:25 am

I wasn't talking about doing anything to change the swamp. That area is clearly too large and would require massive amounts of labor and changes and I wouldn't support that for environmental reasons anyway. I'm just referring to the 2-3 large mud pits on the side of the ridge in C on the map. Lots of trails have structural modifications to route water flow around the trail, or even put drainage pipes under the trail to let the water continue its normal path, but then build a small bridge over the drain or something. I'm not a trail coordinator but I've (now) volunteered on a trail day (Hickory Glen) so I see the sort of modifications that are sometimes made. Look at Addison Oaks as a prime example.
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby Roy » May 23rd, 2016, 7:09 am

John,
I misunderstood you, I though you were talking about F loop. The F loop might be drained with a short section of ditch or drain pipe located close to Point F on the map.
I think the area you were talking about was discussed a page or two back in this thread. However the new cut will probably make this old section very seasonal.

Roy
Roy

Postby jreyst » May 25th, 2016, 11:52 am

So has there ever been any thoughts about maybe adding a pump track in the very back part of D? It seems like it's got the makings of a decent start already with the bermed turns and a few mounds. I would be happy to volunteer to assist if that ever was going to happen :D
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby c0nsumer » May 25th, 2016, 12:25 pm

jreyst wrote:So has there ever been any thoughts about maybe adding a pump track in the very back part of D? It seems like it's got the makings of a decent start already with the bermed turns and a few mounds. I would be happy to volunteer to assist if that ever was going to happen :D

There has been talk about such a thing, but not there. It'd more likely be off of the pavement around marker 13. I believe the big thing needed for this is someone to lead the work and see it through.

If you're interested, please email riverbends@cramba.org.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Roy » May 26th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Talk with the guys who recently rebuilt the pump track at Stoney.
I think you will be surprised to find out how difficult is to build quality a pump track. ( and/or read the stoney pump track thread on this site)
The pump track at Lakeshore (Novi) would be worth a ride.

Roy
Roy

Postby c0nsumer » May 26th, 2016, 7:58 pm

Roy wrote:Talk with the guys who recently rebuilt the pump track at Stoney.
I think you will be surprised to find out how difficult is to build quality a pump track. ( and/or read the stoney pump track thread on this site)
The pump track at Lakeshore (Novi) would be worth a ride.

Roy

I know how hard it is, which is why I'm not taking it on myself. It'd be great if we had some folks who really want to do it and work it until it gets traction and becomes self-sustaining.

Good pump tracks / jumps are a labor of love.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby lawn dart » May 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Rode Riverbends in the late AM. 99% good with just a few soft spots. We skipped the Swamp.
lawn dart

Postby utabintarbo » Yesterday, 6:29 pm

Just a few spots of standing water this AM. Likely dried just before the rains came again. :roll:
Addison Oaks TC

Latest additions to the quiver:
2010 Black Sheep Stellar
2011 Carver Fat Bike
2010 Jones Spaceframe
2013 Carver Trans-Fat
2012 Surly Krampus

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby SloMo » Today, 9:17 pm

This is likely not the place for this question but here it goes anyway. I have now fallen madly in love with two trails, River Bends and Bloomer for different reasons (I am sure I will like more as I gain experience in the sport). I am now to the point where I want to link River Bends and Bloomer into one ride. I have figured out the hole in the fence to get to Yates Trail but I came to a staircase when trying to get to Holland Ponds. I thought I heard something was being built to link the two trails, but is there a way to get there while we wait? The other day I took 24 to mound to 22 to River Bends, just looking for a more direct route. Thanks
Follow me on Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/9205583
2015 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon WC
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
SloMo

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments