CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby Toy529 » November 24th, 2014, 8:51 am

I walked a little of the trail on Sunday before the rain, it was a greasy mess. I would stay off of it until it freezes again.
Toy529

Postby jer091 » November 25th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Got out and rode the trail this afternoon.

There are 8 large trees that need chainsaw to remove 5 that need dismounting. Twp has been notified and they stated they will try to get them all by tomorrow. I cut out and removed about 5 smaller trees/clusters with my folding hand saw.

Otherwise, Lots and Lots of sticks and debris. If you ride be mindful of your derailleur. Also if you can do your part and remove any of the smaller stuff you come across to help clear the trail. There is plenty to do and if we all pitch in a little it helps.

Trail surface was surprisingly good. The first 1/2 mile from the trail head was a little greasy but not terrible.
jer091

Postby sleepyguy1001 » November 26th, 2014, 5:25 pm

So... I went for a little ride this afternoon and went in from behind the apartment buildings and across the tracks. What are they doing out there now? I haven't figured out how to upload images here yet, but there are stakes and tarp like paper up all along the path that ITC used and the makings of a road of some sort coming in from the east that stops right at the tracks. The trails are cut off by this stakes and black paper stuff. I have to go read the help section and see how/if images are allowed here.
We have met the enemy, and it is us..... Pogo
sleepyguy1001

Postby Sortaslow » November 26th, 2014, 6:04 pm

sleepyguy1001 wrote:So... I went for a little ride this afternoon and went in from behind the apartment buildings and across the tracks. What are they doing out there now? I haven't figured out how to upload images here yet, but there are stakes and tarp like paper up all along the path that ITC used and the makings of a road of some sort coming in from the east that stops right at the tracks. The trails are cut off by this stakes and black paper stuff. I have to go read the help section and see how/if images are allowed here.

It's a sewer project.
Sortaslow

Postby c0nsumer » November 26th, 2014, 6:06 pm

sleepyguy1001 wrote:So... I went for a little ride this afternoon and went in from behind the apartment buildings and across the tracks. What are they doing out there now? I haven't figured out how to upload images here yet, but there are stakes and tarp like paper up all along the path that ITC used and the makings of a road of some sort coming in from the east that stops right at the tracks. The trails are cut off by this stakes and black paper stuff. I have to go read the help section and see how/if images are allowed here.

This is a sewer line access road that's being put in. It's frustrating that the silt fencing is interrupting the just-built trail, but it's not too hard to climb over. I hear that it may result in an at-grade crossing remaining over the train tracks, which will be an outstanding thing.

On a downed-tree note, I got out to River Bends today and cleared more beyond what Jeremy / jer091 had, and stuff which the park hadn't gotten to. As a result, all of the yellow loop is clear and open with no downed trees and the bigger deadfall removed from the trail surface. I also cleared a bunch of hanging stuff, so it should be pretty free of face slappers and the like.

There's still some smaller sticks and twigs all over the trail so do your derailleur a favor and be careful. It's mostly good, but please stop to throw any sticks you may come across off of the trail. With all of us doing a bit to clear sections it'll be back to how it was in no time.

(One interesting side effect of the wind storm was that many of the formerly leaf covered parts of the trail have been blown clear.)
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Toy529 » November 26th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Rode tonight, just a couple of slick spots. Will be walking the trail in the morning and will help removing the debris.
Toy529

Postby c0nsumer » November 27th, 2014, 11:48 am

Trail is in fine shape, although it was starting to thaw at about 11:15am, so I'd suggest avoiding it until sunset or so, after it's had a chance to re-freeze. There's even less deadfall than last night, so thanks to you Toy529 and whoever else tossed stuff off of the trail.

Ran into two fatbikers (in a group of three) I hadn't met before either. Glad to see that there's even more people who'll be helping keep the trail packed down this winter!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Xtian1206= » November 27th, 2014, 1:04 pm

That was us! Nice meeting you guys...

It was our first time on at riverbends and we had fun...looks like we will have more fun when more snow comes.....lol
Xtian1206=

Postby Toy529 » November 27th, 2014, 1:26 pm

No problem Steve, it is the least I could do. I was the guy walking the dog when you guys just started.
Toy529

Postby c0nsumer » November 27th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Toy529 wrote:No problem Steve, it is the least I could do. I was the guy walking the dog when you guys just started.

Ah, great! Nice to meet you briefly then. See you another time!

Xtian1206= wrote:That was us! Nice meeting you guys...

It was our first time on at riverbends and we had fun...looks like we will have more fun when more snow comes.....lol

Nice to meet you too! Which bike were you on? (I was the guy on the Mukluk with the prescription glasses. I'd look at something like these these days, but [rul=http://www.rudyproject.com/]this[/url] is the brand that I currently have.)

The Tuesday Night Rides (6:30pm) are going strong right now, and once the snow falls they'll get even more fun... Come on out, we need all the fatbikes we can for packing the trail.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Xtian1206= » November 27th, 2014, 9:48 pm

was the one asking where you got your prescription lens..incidentally, Tuesdays used to be our regular ride days but since ive gotten a new job, we have not been able to ride. hopefully when our schedule allows, we'd love to join you guys..
Xtian1206=

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments