CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby mtb_frk » February 8th, 2015, 5:40 pm

The trail was great yesterday. Thanks for snow shoeing it in. :)
mtb_frk

Postby KLydesdale » February 9th, 2015, 1:50 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
PK wrote:Near perfect conditions today.

Pete.

Agreed. Late in the day it was getting a bit soft/wet, but it was still a blast to ride if you kept your bike under control. When the cold comes tonight it's going to firm up even more and be like icy hardpack.

I went XC skiing around 4 pm yesterday and the trail at Independence Oaks was hardening up as I went along. Would have been really fast on a bike. I'm looking forward to hitting up River Bends tomorrow or Wednesday after work. Did that area get a bit of snow last night like some areas did?
KLydesdale

Postby c0nsumer » February 9th, 2015, 1:53 pm

KLydesdale wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
PK wrote:Near perfect conditions today.

Pete.

Agreed. Late in the day it was getting a bit soft/wet, but it was still a blast to ride if you kept your bike under control. When the cold comes tonight it's going to firm up even more and be like icy hardpack.

I went XC skiing around 4 pm yesterday and the trail at Independence Oaks was hardening up as I went along. Would have been really fast on a bike. I'm looking forward to hitting up River Bends tomorrow or Wednesday after work. Did that area get a bit of snow last night like some areas did?

Yep -- we got a bit of a dusting down this way. Maybe... 1/4" of an inch? That on top of the packed smooth trail should make for some real nice fatbiking.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby jer091 » February 9th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Just finished riding River Bends. Wow, the trail is pretty nice. It firmed up after yesterdays thaw. Everything is packed and completely ridable except for the "Lazy River" section at the very south end of the blue loop. Not once did I have to step off the pedals. The Blue loop along the canal is bumpy due to it not being groomed, but hikers and snowshoes have it packed down so its rideable.
jer091

Postby KLydesdale » February 9th, 2015, 5:37 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Yep -- we got a bit of a dusting down this way. Maybe... 1/4" of an inch? That on top of the packed smooth trail should make for some real nice fatbiking.

Amen, Brother, Amen!
KLydesdale

Postby c0nsumer » February 10th, 2015, 8:13 pm

Very, very fast right now. Even the loose parts next to the trail are firming up and can be ridden. I had no problem getting air off of the roller at the end of the Steep Grade Loose Gravel section.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby bergsteiger » February 10th, 2015, 9:00 pm

did the dragstrip harden up nice?
bergsteiger

Postby c0nsumer » February 10th, 2015, 9:09 pm

bergsteiger wrote:did the dragstrip harden up nice?

Kinda... I tried riding it and it was hard, but crunchy and rough. Real slow go. Much better than it would have been had you not snowshoed it, but not great... yet. Hopefully my first set of tracks will inspire others to ride it and then it'll come together. You definitely beat the crust / major fluff down, though.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » February 11th, 2015, 11:42 pm

From today's Shelby-Utica News: http://www.candgnews.com/news/shelby-ut ... rail-81098

SHELBY TOWNSHIP/UTICA — The path to approving a $2.4 million trail project between Shelby and Utica has not been easy. The arduous process included two bids officials had to turn down because they were too high, as well as problems getting permission to cross railroad tracks.

On Feb. 3, the Shelby Township Board of Trustees voted unanimously to authorize funds not to exceed $250,000 to link the bike path in River Bends Park to the city of Utica. Shelby’s portion is 41 percent of the cost; Utica’s is 59 percent.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby utabintarbo » February 12th, 2015, 8:38 am

Very nice out there last night. I rode with a guy on skinny tires (SteamDriven) and he found it to be pretty easy going (if he stayed on the trail ;) ).
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » February 17th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Trail conditions are perfect. I had summer-time pressures and was able to push the whole time. There's some hidden ruts under the light snow that'll really catch you, so watch out... good for your bike handling skills, though.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby MCSmith » February 21st, 2015, 2:39 pm

Trail is still in nice shape. The few ruts are starting to grow. Nessy is looking really sketchy, lots of bare wood with a packed center line from people sliding off the edge. Use caution. Cleared out the face slappers, and low branches in the swamp loop.
2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
2014 Trek Stache 7
2015 KHS 4 Seasons "Fatty"
MCSmith

Postby c0nsumer » February 27th, 2015, 7:05 pm

Tip top shape out there, may as well be a narrow soft summer time trail. Absolutely everything on yellow/orange is ridable. Didn't check out blue.

(And yes, jreyst, it's all ridable on skinny tires.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments