CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby PK » January 1st, 2017, 1:57 pm

Yea, my $0.02 on that is pretty much what I said.
I don't enjoy riding mud. Never did.
I guess I'm fortunate that I can alter my ride time as to accommodate the freeze.
Tomorrow. 8:00 am. See you there.

Pete.
PK

Postby Roy » January 2nd, 2017, 8:14 am

Unfortunately some the short step climbs will be destroyed by ruts, come the spring rains!
The best parts of the trail will be gone in a few years, if not sooner.
You can't open the trail for just fat bikes.

Roy
Roy

Postby c0nsumer » January 2nd, 2017, 10:08 am

Roy wrote:Unfortunately some the short step climbs will be destroyed by ruts, come the spring rains!
The best parts of the trail will be gone in a few years, if not sooner.
You can't open the trail for just fat bikes.

Sorry Roy, but I disagree completely with this. The part of RB which has the steepest climbs (all of which but one or maybe two are sustainable) has been ridden by fat bikes since the trail opened.

The ruts suck, and people rutting up the trail do some damage, but I have no reason to believe those parts of the trail will be gone any time soon.

Additionally, I don't believe that the short/steep stuff is the best part of RB at all. I think it's the fast/flowing sections where you can carry speed and enjoy cruising through the trees, which is a lot of it.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby KLydesdale » January 2nd, 2017, 12:04 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Additionally, I don't believe that the short/steep stuff is the best part of RB at all. I think it's the fast/flowing sections where you can carry speed and enjoy cruising through the trees, which is a lot of it.

This is the main reason I enjoy riding RB. Every time I ride those sections, I am reminded of why I got hooked on MTBing over two decades ago.
KLydesdale

Postby jreyst » January 4th, 2017, 11:37 pm

Rode a lap this afternoon. Very cold but otherwise perfect for skinny w/studs. Lesson learned: apparently even someone on a fat bike decided it's OK to rut up the trail before it froze. Not terrible, but noticeable.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby jreyst » January 8th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Rode a lap of Riverbends + Dodge Park today and also great conditions. On the way back into RB from DP while riding the paved connector I came upon a 20-something male driving a white Chevy Cruz (I believe) on the paved connector by the baseball fields. When I approached I wasn't sure if he was a trail coordinator, or someone working with the construction people out there or something. As I neared his vehicle his driver's side window was about half down and he had a half-smirk on his face. I said "What's the idea driving out here???" He didn't respond but pulled away slowly. I tried to get my phone out to take a pic but with heavy gloves and it being zipped in my pocket he got a bit too far off for me to be able to make out his plate.

See the clown here: http://imgur.com/a/EwkIn
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby c0nsumer » January 8th, 2017, 10:13 pm

*beep*, too bad you didn't get a plate. I bet the Utica cops would love to have seen that. Maybe send it to them anyway?

(None of the CRAMBA folks who work/act as TCs at RB have that vehicle. And none of the single track goes anywhere near that far south anyway...)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby gnardawg » January 9th, 2017, 11:36 am

c0nsumer wrote:*beep*, too bad you didn't get a plate. I bet the Utica cops would love to have seen that. Maybe send it to them anyway?

(None of the CRAMBA folks who work/act as TCs at RB have that vehicle. And none of the single track goes anywhere near that far south anyway...)

RB ride happening tomorrow?
gnardawg

Postby c0nsumer » January 9th, 2017, 12:22 pm

gnardawg wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:*beep*, too bad you didn't get a plate. I bet the Utica cops would love to have seen that. Maybe send it to them anyway?

Most of us won't be there as that's the same time as the CRAMBA Chapter Meeting at Rochester Mills.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer

Postby Dark-Fx » January 10th, 2017, 9:06 pm

gnardawg wrote:

You missed out on a great ride this morning. It's probably utter *beep* now though.
Dark-Fx

Postby SteamDriven » January 16th, 2017, 6:29 pm

If you ignore "between the trails", RB was pretty good today (relatively speaking). Went early afternoon during the ice rain and found all down trees had been delt with.
A couple of people left it too late to ride yesterday, caught the melt and the new blue section south is torn up. The new unrequested burm has not worked out well with pooled uneven multilayered ice on the curve.
The guy with the black bike (they all are) and weird accent... Usually found at the back!
SteamDriven

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions