CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby jreyst » July 17th, 2016, 5:41 pm

There was a small (diameter) tree down JUST entering into the new section and was elevated off the ground just enough to cause an unfortunate OTB. I was going a bit too fast on entry and even locking the brakes didn't stop in time. All's well other than some scratches and bruises on legs. I moved it off of the trail on the bright side.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby c0nsumer » July 17th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Weird... That wasn't there about 9:30am today. Did it look placed?
Steve Vigneau
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby jreyst » July 17th, 2016, 5:48 pm

I took pictures because it did look suspicious. Will post when back at PC.
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby jreyst » July 17th, 2016, 6:02 pm

--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby c0nsumer » July 17th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Very weird.

One possibility, if it was dead... It is a pretty common occurrence along new trails for upright, but dead, stuff to end up getting pulled down. I think it's riders grabbing on to them to steady themselves, then they fall or pull over, then they just leave them. Sometimes they break off, sometimes they bend, sometimes they break part-way down. I've even seen folks during winter break off saplings that they felt were too close to the trail and caught their bars.

Along here we only made things as wide as needed. If someone blew the corner and went and grabbed an upslope dead tree to hang on to, it could have broken off like this.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby jreyst » July 17th, 2016, 7:52 pm

The tree was dead and very brittle so I can see how it was easily broken. It was oddly tightly pushed down between two other trees on the right side, a very narrow fit. It could certainly have fallen there. I'm more inclined to suspect random chance than vandals since I've never seen any such thing at RB. Now I HAVE run into a ton of kids riding there lately, all without helmets and many of them riding with their (presumed) fathers. Kids as young as 7-8 all in a group.
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby c0nsumer » July 17th, 2016, 7:57 pm

I'd figure that someone grabbed it for support and it broke then... That new entrance is great, but if someone is hauling ass up the hill, aren't great at handling, take the right, and see the roller I could see panic braking resulting in grabbing trees. Oh well. Thanks for clearing it!

And yeah... RB is super-popular with families of all kinds. This is one of the reasons why we keep the trail safe and sustainable, since it WILL get casual riders. May as well allow them to enjoy it.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby tripleskulls » July 18th, 2016, 4:21 pm

There is a 8 inch diameter tree leaning over the first bridge on the entrance trail. It's big enough that it might damage the bridge if it falls the rest of the way.
tripleskulls

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments