CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby pharus » July 1st, 2010, 10:05 am

I am really looking forward to trying out this trail, it will be the closest to my home. I will be glad to help the next time some trail work is done.

I wasn't able to view the .KMZ map, I don't know what app would be able to display that.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby c0nsumer » July 1st, 2010, 10:08 am

pharus wrote:I wasn't able to view the .KMZ map, I don't know what app would be able to display that.

Google Maps or Google Earth.

Google itself is also quite helpful for figuring out what to do with a particular kind of file. ;)
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby str8flush24 » July 1st, 2010, 2:33 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Image

One can find some neat things out in the woods while tying plastic tape around trees...

Update on the shrooms pleeeeez... :icon_bigsmurf:
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby c0nsumer » July 1st, 2010, 3:16 pm

str8flush24 wrote:Update on the shrooms pleeeeez... :icon_bigsmurf:

Oh, they were very tasty. My fianc?e used them to make a very nice pasta with cream sauce.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby str8flush24 » July 1st, 2010, 4:57 pm

Oh, i was hoping for a more entertaining story...unless of course you guys just ate....then give it about 30-45 minutes.
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby c0nsumer » July 1st, 2010, 8:24 pm

str8flush24 wrote:Oh, i was hoping for a more entertaining story...unless of course you guys just ate....then give it about 30-45 minutes.

Sorry. Morels are a nice, tasty, edible, non-psychotropic mushroom.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby pharus » July 2nd, 2010, 4:08 pm

I just rode the new trail. Very nicely done! My appreciation goes out to everyone who must have worked very hard to put this trail together. I will help out if at all possible at the next trail day.

There is still one tree down, marked to be cut. Would it be possible to just build up the dirt around it and ride over it?
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby dinov » July 3rd, 2010, 2:31 pm

Rode the the trail today with my son great work on the trail he only ten but he was able to make it thru the whole trail minus the the downed without bailing any of the climbs..
2013 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
dinov

Postby PK » July 4th, 2010, 10:50 am

We got out there last week and "tweaked" the trail a little.
It's pretty good now. The soil appears to be clay and thus it's fast already. It's like the trail has been there for years. No slow, soft tread.
It's a good little trail. Hopefully, it will grow soon.
Enjoy!

Pete.
PK

Postby E-Man » July 4th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Hit the trail up on Saturday. Nice work. The trail rides pretty fast for being newly cut. Loose in a few corners but other than that it was good. A few tight radius corners out there. I also rode some of the 2-track -- that is really fast but with a lot of blind corners I can see that being dangerous with other trail users. I also hit some of the older singletrack - that is quite overgrown - that stuff is pretty straight and dumped me out at the railroad tracks. I gotta try to put together a little loop. I can see this trail looking something like addison oaks -- single track intermixed with some double track main trail and useuse the double track to carry the rider from one patch of singel track to antoher. It looks like there is great potential out there and some decent elevation change - 5 miles of trail would great if it could be fit in.
E-Man

Postby madmike23 » July 5th, 2010, 9:01 am

I had some running around to do on Saturday and decided to throw my bike on the Jeep and stop in and check it out. There was a guy named Mark who rode a blue Santa Cruz Blur who rode the singletrack with me. I was really suprised at how nice it was. FANTASTIC JOB! I then rode the nature trail and decided to run one more lap of the singletrack. I hope the trail keeps expanding. There is a lot of room back there and lots possibilities!

Thanks Mark for showing me around.

Really nice. I appreciate your efforts trail crews!
madmike23

Postby pharus » July 6th, 2010, 9:31 am

I found that piece of old single track that runs straight along a ridge. I kept going on it, hoping it would end at some point that could tie back to a parking lot, or another section of two-track, but it just seem to die out either at the river, or at the railroad track. Is there a starting point to that trail that I missed? I would be nice to be able to tie that in with the new single track and make a whole loop (loupe?) out of it.

I would be willing to bring a machete with me to cut back some of the overgrowth on the old single-track, would this be ok? I was scratched up and bloody coming back out of there!

I'd also be willing to help make some trail markers or signs.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby c0nsumer » July 6th, 2010, 9:36 am

pharus wrote:I found that piece of old single track that runs straight along a ridge. I kept going on it, hoping it would end at some point that could tie back to a parking lot, or another section of two-track, but it just seem to die out either at the river, or at the railroad track. Is there a starting point to that trail that I missed? I would be nice to be able to tie that in with the new single track and make a whole loop (loupe?) out of it.

I'm looking at what can be done to connect the two, but I believe that most of this trail is on the city of Utica's property. So, it's there, but I believe that it falls out of the park's jurisdiction.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby pharus » July 6th, 2010, 10:41 am

c0nsumer wrote: believe that most of this trail is on the city of Utica's property. So, it's there, but I believe that it falls out of the park's jurisdiction.

Would anybody mind if I trimmed back some overgrowth on the old single-track trail?
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby PK » July 6th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Hopefully CONSUMER will find out what the park thinks of trimming that section? (Maybe they know who to ask if it's "OK"?)

Speaking as a MMBA trail coordinator, a somewhat official answer would go something like this:

"We were permitted access to an area of woods within Riverbends park property in which to create a single track, mountainbike / multi purpose trail. That trail has been completed and the MMBA has been asked to propose more trail within the park."

Sometimes when unapproved trail work gets done while the land managers are working with us, it REALLY hurts the whole process. Read into all this whatever you like, but I'd suggest we keep bothering CONSUMER to get us permission first.
I too rode the single track mentioned above and I agree, it would be quite easy to just trim away and gain that mileage in the area. Considering how eager the park is for us to get this trail system done, I'd say to wait a bit.....My guess is, we'll be adding more trail by this fall.

Pete.
PK

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions