CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » June 15th, 2010, 1:54 pm

jcrazyjj wrote:any word on a trail day? im looking forward to helping.

I've got one on the calendar for the weekend of the 26th, and the email about it (and posts here) will go out to the chapter tonight or tomorrow. Scheduled date is 26-Jun, with 27-Jun as a rain day. (I've been too busy with work to post things yesterday or today.)

anyone know if bikes are allowed on the shadbush nature trail?

As far as I'm aware, no.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby jcrazyjj » June 15th, 2010, 6:38 pm

i went out there anyway to see how it was... walked my bike past the nature center and people and no one had said anything. i rode up to the park from 23 and ryan, down the nature trail, right at the fork and hit a dead end, turned around and headed to the little park across the river from the bar, up to holland ponds and over to yates and back to my house.

im exploring all my options in making a normal route.
jcrazyjj

Postby c0nsumer » June 15th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Guess what? It's time for a trail day to get the first segment done!

Thanks to the hard work of Mark Senyk, Pete Kresmary, Tim Dunbar, Nick and Marty Shue, Mike Moss, and Rob Walker we've got the trail marked and some initial cutting. Now we need your help to get it done and ridable!

Email has gone out to all MMBA Metro North members about this trail day, or you can see this thread for a copy of it. In short, 8:30am on 26-June at the Hickory Grove shelter with 27-June as a rain date.

Thanks, everyone!
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » June 24th, 2010, 7:20 am

This is just a reminder about the upcoming trail day at River Bends on Saturday at 8:30am. Give this thread a look for more information.

A fair bit of trail is already cut, but we need help getting the route finished, so please; come on out!
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » June 26th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Thanks very much to everyone who came out today. The entire first phase of the trail is cut, with only one log remaining to be cleared. Thanks to all of your help (and a few who had helped in the past days but couldn't make it to the trail day) River Bends is now the newest park in the state to receive MMBA-built trail.

Before you ask, yes, a map of the current and new trail is forthcoming. That'll just take me a little bit.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby onlycrimson » June 26th, 2010, 6:07 pm

This thing needs to be ridden in! We put in some good work out there.
onlycrimson

Postby dinov » June 26th, 2010, 6:49 pm

Had to work sorry i missed the trail day pulled in the park as the mmba trailer was pulling out :( :( :(
2013 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
dinov

Postby i69whitey » June 27th, 2010, 9:03 pm

unbelievable how much trail went in soo fast
nice job all

i believe lost my fancy carbon fiber micro pump out there
or MY TRAIL GNOME STOLE IT
rode the trail a litle today after i noticed it missing at stony, but no luck
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby c0nsumer » June 27th, 2010, 9:25 pm

i69whitey wrote:unbelievable how much trail went in soo fast
nice job all

i believe lost my fancy carbon fiber micro pump out there
or MY TRAIL GNOME STOLE IT
rode the trail a litle today after i noticed it missing at stony, but no luck

I just got back from walking it twice picking up all the flags and tape and didn't see it. Sorry.

You'd had your bike pretty far off the trail, though. I wasn't looking off to the sides. :(
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » June 27th, 2010, 9:30 pm

dinov wrote:Had to work sorry i missed the trail day pulled in the park as the mmba trailer was pulling out :( :( :(

Did you get to ride it?
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » June 27th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Tonight just as the rain was setting in I walked the trail that we'd put in yesterday, removing the tape and flags, and getting a GPS plot of what we did. We put in almost exactly one mile of new single track, most of which runs along a ridge over looking Clinton River floodplane. Most of it was surprisingly dry, with only a couple slick spots. There's a few sections that need a bit of tweaking, but that's typical for any new trail.

If you're wanting to see it, the GPS route can be found here: River_Bends-Phase_One_Route.kmz. A more proper map is forthcoming.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby gossamer » June 28th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Just have to say.... great job on the trail out there, I rode it 3 times, one of which was the oppisite direction.

It was also nice meeting Mark out there, great job!!
"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption
http://www.fraserbicycle.com
gossamer

Location: Smack dab in the middle of nowhere, just a little farther than somewhere

Postby E-Man » June 28th, 2010, 8:17 pm

I am excited to check this trail out - 2 miles from home. I know the map is forthcoming but where is the best place to enter the trail at? I could not make anything happen with the GPS link provided. 1 mile of new single track was added, so how much is out there now? What is the outlook for total singletrack mileage out there.

Thanks
E-Man

Postby c0nsumer » June 28th, 2010, 9:31 pm

E-Man wrote:I am excited to check this trail out - 2 miles from home. I know the map is forthcoming but where is the best place to enter the trail at? I could not make anything happen with the GPS link provided. 1 mile of new single track was added, so how much is out there now? What is the outlook for total singletrack mileage out there.

Thanks

If you know the two track there, you know the ravine-like area with the Loose Gravel signs, right? At the bottom of that is the beginning of the trail if you are taking it in the intended direction. It then runs for a mile along the ridge winding up and down it, ending up back at the two track. I hope that we can have another mile in by the end of the year, maybe even connecting in with the existing single track that's found at the south end of the park. (That's still to be determined.)

If you couple this with the roughly 1 mile of two track left after the single track, you can easily make a two mile loop using official trail. If you know where some of the casual stuff is down through the swamp and along the Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal ridge, I think you can add another 1.5 miles.

If you'd like to see where it is, I can probably meet up with you there some time and show you the area.

Hmm. Maybe we should have a small group ride / tour...
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » June 28th, 2010, 9:37 pm

gossamer wrote:Just have to say.... great job on the trail out there, I rode it 3 times, one of which was the oppisite direction.

It was also nice meeting Mark out there, great job!!

Mark did a lot on this trail. He seems to have a fair bit of time available and knows what he's doing, so he just set out starting to get things cut and it really helped out.

When you were out there did you find a couple of the brown clay corners to be very slick? I was out there last night at dusk and found a couple corners almost impossible to walk on, but it was also raining.

Some of the stuff that we had cleared prior to the trail day had also begun to pack hard with sun/wind exposure, similar to the paved-like parts at Stony. I think this is a great sign, meaning that the trail will eventually become a good, solid place to ride.

While laying out the route we encountered a few interesting places where springs seemed to erupt from hillsides, leaving entire slopes squishy even in relatively dry weather. As a result the trail didn't go in these areas, which was a bit disappointing because it gave us less real estate to work with, but it's sort of required if we want maintainable trails. (One of these places is off to the right just after the trail crosses one of the little bandit/impromptu/whatever single track lines running down into the floodplane. When ridden in the 'right' direction, of course.)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions