CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » September 3rd, 2014, 8:33 am

mkow1234 wrote:I rode River Bends last week. Although I DO like the new singletrack at the far south end, I found it confusing to find my exit trail.
I ride in to the north end of River Bends from Dodge park, via Auburn Road, and I exit the south end of River Bends via the connector trail to the backof the Utica High School baseball diamonds.
I got turned around enough in the south end that I could not find my usual overlook spot with the giant tree. I always stop there for a beverage/snack at the mid-point of my ride.

I hope that access to this south exit trail will be kept clearly marked. Thanks.

Please remember that any south-end access you have been using is unofficial stuff that just happens to be there and just happened to work out for you. We are also trying to close down some of these same side trails that persist in making the south end of the park confusing. Going forward -- once it's built -- the paved connector to downtown Utica which will be the official, marked route route.

Until that exists, I'd like to ask that you take the ITC-cleared corridor that links up the south end of River Bends and the old slaughterhouse lot at the west end of Chapoton. For the direction you are going you'll cross the tracks where they are extremely visible (about 30' next to the start of the Lazy River section) and follow it to the old slaughterhouse. It's very easy to find, open, firm, and ends at a large concrete lot which connects to Chapoton, which you can take to downtown Utica. With that you aren't cutting through the school grounds (I believe they don't allow bikes) and aren't perpetuating a spiderweb of casual trails that is confusing to many riders.

Also, if I'm understanding your rest point, that overlook spot with a large tree and a trail split is still there. There just aren't any trails connecting to it except the Lazy River section. The one you would have taken up from the floodplane (the reason why we don't route the new trail all the way down there) was destroyed by the ITC work. The work we have been doing there lately is to reconnect the existing pieces of trail, replace what was lost, and eliminate the confusing double-figure-eight that was there before. Zoom in to this and you can see most of what the Lazy River route will be. (There's another yet-to-be-built part just northwest of the S turn berms which'll hopefully be done by the end of the month.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Jim O » September 9th, 2014, 10:36 am

Steve,
You are a bee magnet. Stay away.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby kcnado » October 2nd, 2014, 9:38 am

BK big fish wrote:Utica Cross-country runners, and they are racing there tonight.

Went to check out this trail for the first time on Tuesday, and ran into a surprise Cross-Country meet.... that said, I decided to just run the trails so as to not risk biking through their course.

For coming off a rain storm and being near the river banks, this trail seemed to be in excellent condition... I was quite surprised. Needless to say, my first visit through the trail was pleasant - I am excited to come back and get a ride in soon!

Thanks to the lone biker out there that helped direct me back to the parking lot :D
-----
"If I can't win, I will make the fellow ahead of me break the record!"
kcnado

Postby c0nsumer » October 2nd, 2014, 9:56 am

kcnado wrote:
BK big fish wrote:Utica Cross-country runners, and they are racing there tonight.

Went to check out this trail for the first time on Tuesday, and ran into a surprise Cross-Country meet.... that said, I decided to just run the trails so as to not risk biking through their course.

For coming off a rain storm and being near the river banks, this trail seemed to be in excellent condition... I was quite surprised. Needless to say, my first visit through the trail was pleasant - I am excited to come back and get a ride in soon!

Thanks to the lone biker out there that helped direct me back to the parking lot :D

Thank you; except for the aptly-named Swamp Loop (mapping updates coming soon) we've tried to address problem spots to make it a year-round ridable beginner trail.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » October 9th, 2014, 10:14 am

Just wanted to let you all know that we have a trail day scheduled for River Bends on November 2nd, 2014. This had previously been scheduled for October 18th, but due to some scheduling conflicts we've pushed it off to November 2nd.

This will be a general trail tune-up day, fixing some issues that cropped up over the summer and getting the route ready for winter.

You can find all of the CRAMBA-IMBA events, including the trail days, listed on the calendar: http://www.cramba.org/calendar/
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer

Postby PK » January 16th, 2015, 12:30 pm

What's it like out there?
I'm planning a noonish ride Sat...

Thanks.

Pete.
PK

Postby jreyst » February 2nd, 2015, 7:31 pm

Is that 3-4 psi even in a skinny or...?
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby jreyst » February 2nd, 2015, 7:34 pm

I wasn't planning to ride until someone says its good but my general question is if on a skinny what psi is recommended? I've been riding on 30 psi so far this winter.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby c0nsumer » February 2nd, 2015, 7:36 pm

jreyst wrote:I wasn't planning to ride until someone says its good but my general question is if on a skinny what psi is recommended? I've been riding on 30 psi so far this winter.

What width of tire are you talking about? (Skinny could be anything from 1.9" on 23mm rims to 2.5" on 30mm rims... difference between those would be huge.

Either way, I'd say as low as you can go without pinch flatting or rolling the tire off the rim. You want all the flotation you can get.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » February 2nd, 2015, 7:49 pm

Here's what five sets of snowshoes of various types did to the ~14" of powder out there.

Anyone else who is up for snowshoeing the trail is very welcome; it's about the best we can get without a mechanized groomer.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer

Postby mtb_frk » February 8th, 2015, 5:40 pm

The trail was great yesterday. Thanks for snow shoeing it in. :)
KLM/Cold Stone Racing
mtb_frk

Postby FLIPMODES » April 4th, 2015, 4:02 pm

Quick update on trail conditions. As of this morning, the abundance of frozen pizza cutters and continuous dismounting for all the dead-fall made the ride far from enjoyable... IMO, the trail should be avoided otherwise more damage will occur. Especially with all the rain projected for next week. Only a couple more weeks of the MOT/pavement.
River Bends Park - Co-Trail Coordinator
River Bends trail conditions
CRAMBA-IMBA/NMBP member

2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

Postby sleepyguy1001 » April 17th, 2015, 12:11 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
sleepyguy1001 wrote:So what's going on out there now? Another road of some sort up the middle of the park?

Give this a read: http://www.sourcenewspapers.com/article ... 917737.txt

The current clearcutting is the first step of the realization of the aforementioned paved path.

Sweet, thanks!
We have met the enemy, and it is us..... Pogo
sleepyguy1001

Postby Mack » April 23rd, 2015, 5:22 pm

sleepyguy1001 wrote:I took a quick ride out there today, down by the water and up across where the new road/trail is being cut. There were a few guys from the work crew standing there when I rolled up to it. Some new stakes and it had been recently bulldozed. I asked them if it was okay to cross or if it was closed now and they told me to go ahead, but be careful in the next few weeks. That spot will be and 8-10 foot drop. Was he BS'ing me? Any idea?

I guess you will find out in the coming weeks, if he was BS'ing you or not. 8-10 ft. is a big
drop, just make sure you land it rear wheel first :wink: .
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby jer091 » May 1st, 2015, 8:09 pm

What is happening out at River Bends? ;)

jer091

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions