CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby madmike23 » April 17th, 2014, 8:49 am

Anyone been out there since the rain and snow this week?
madmike23

Postby jer091 » April 17th, 2014, 9:29 am

jer091 wrote:**River Bends Update 16 April 2014**

Bad news, good news, and bad news.....

1. The trail surface is in poor condition as of today. The snow melting has created a 1/4-1/2" muck layer on top. Foot traffic is creating indentations, so bike traffic will also not be good. Lets give it another day or 2 to dry out again.

Head on out the and see, but if the trailhead is mucky please stop, it will not get any better.

Also please skip the second half of the between the trails trail (after the open field) that whole area is still deep mud.
jer091

Postby c0nsumer » May 13th, 2014, 9:34 am

Beginning tomorrow, May 14th, ITC will be performing work in the south end of River Bends, constructing an access path so that a transmission line tower may be replaced. This work is expected to be complete by July 4th, and in the mean time Shelby Township has asked that riders avoid this area.

So, please, stay away from riding the Blue loop until this work is complete. We'll be hanging a sign at the T intersection within a few days to caution riders away from here.

(On the upside, after the tower is repaired, this path will be used as part of the long-promised connector between River Bends and downtown Utica.)
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby jer091 » May 26th, 2014, 6:00 pm

The entire yellow loop is rideable.

Took out the remaining deadfall on the BTT. Rode the fatbike many times thru the muddy, pizza cutter areas and there should be a ridable path thru all those areas.

Bad muddy areas in 2 spots on the drag strip, use the bypass. We are looking at some trail modifications in this area to get the trail out of the seeps.

Remember avoid the south end of the blue loop due to ITC starting construction of a access path to replace a high tension tower.
jer091

Postby 2slo2endo » May 28th, 2014, 10:12 am

It is the curse of having trails in parks.. I once told 2 kids at the trailhead (M53) in CRPT that the trails were too wet (there was standing water), and they would damage them... They told me to f*#k off.... I decided not to get arrested for my desired response and let it go. Sadly after today, I'm sure all of the CRAMBA trails are probably too wet to ride...
2slo2endo

Postby INEVTBL » May 31st, 2014, 9:29 am

I guess they are not building a permanent bridge /tunnel across the train tracks then ???
2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro.....2013 Trek X/Caliber
2015 Trek Farley 8................... 1985 Haro Masters Chrome/Flo-Green/White
2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite.........1987 Redline RL 20II California Red
INEVTBL

Postby c0nsumer » June 5th, 2014, 8:41 am

2slo2endo wrote:Thank you sir! Does everyone know that the back entrance to riverbends is closed? See the pic a few posts back...

I'm sure there's a few people out there who don't know. ;)
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby dirt » July 13th, 2014, 8:56 am

buckeyefan58 wrote:
jer091 wrote:There is not an actual "Connector" trail from Utica to the south side of River Bends yet. The project has been delayed yet once again due to the project bids coming in 40% higher than expected.

I am SHOCKED at this :roll: . This is the project that never ends...yes it goes on and on my friends.

Never ends? It's never even started!
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby Lateapex36 » July 15th, 2014, 8:38 am

Ran the first half of the trail last night, its fairly soft but no standing mud areas. There are a couple big leaning trees just after the turn for the blue seasonal section, they aren't down onto the trail yet but they are pretty large so may come down later. I didnt go in the BTT section but I assume its still got some mud in there
2013 Trek Mamba
Stony, Maybury, River Bends, Bloomer
Lateapex36

Postby i69whitey » July 25th, 2014, 8:59 am

It's flat, graded, seeded and covered in straw right now. A nice blank canvas.
Where is this track crossing? We used the one across Chapoton Road, the hike-a-bike one, to get in and left at the crossing behind the ballpark. Is there one just farther north that u speak of?
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby FLIPMODES » July 25th, 2014, 9:30 am

I'll bring my shovel... :mrgreen:
River Bends Park - Co-Trail Coordinator
River Bends trail conditions
CRAMBA-IMBA/NMBP member

2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

Postby crappybiker4508 » August 18th, 2014, 8:19 am

The "steep grade loose gravel" section is burly. Other than that the track is pretty nice. I moved some branches that fell over the trail. Also had a deer sniff my front tire near the wavey bridge, pretty amazing.
'01 stumpjumper fsr. Stoney Creek is home turf
crappybiker4508

Postby c0nsumer » August 23rd, 2014, 4:16 pm

MCSmith wrote:All down trees have been cut and cleared. Phil and I took care of both down trees. There is some slight chain saw work needed on the down tree after the drop feature. We got it so you can at least avoid it and stay on the trail.

Nice! Thank you for doing that. I heard that you two might have laid out a good route down the banked / flowing downhill in the south end too...
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » August 25th, 2014, 9:03 am

Join CRAMBA-IMBA for a trail day on August 31st, 2014 at 10am to finish up the Lazy River portion of River Bends in the south end of the park. This is 0.7 miles of new trail designed to replace what was lost when ITC cut an access corridor to replace a high tension tower.

Meet in the old parking lot off the west end of Chapoton St. in Utica, MI (https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6320802 ... a=!3m1!1e3) just before 10am and we'll walk into the trail work area. To get to this lot, drive west down Chapoton until the road ends, turn right at the barricade, and drive into the old parking lot. Park along the brick wall next to the apartment building near the fence. We'll be walking in through the old foundation which is past the fence.

Please remember to wear long sleeve and long pants for protection. Gloves and safety glasses recommended.

For the Facebook-inclined we have a FB event here as well: https://www.facebook.com/events/1459410194329614

See you there!
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby MCSmith » September 1st, 2014, 5:02 pm

Tree down in btw the trails trail. 4-5 inch diameter, did not have a hand saw on me.
Clinton River Park Trail - Co-Trail Coordinator

2015 Salsa BlackBorow 1
MCSmith

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions