CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » November 23rd, 2012, 10:52 am

john_galt wrote:Ran, didn't ride this morning which was good because it was pretty soggy from last nights rain.

If I may ask, what route did you run / do you normally run? I know the trail is getting an increasing number of trail runners (which I think is great), but I don't understand the typical runner uses / behavior out there.

What do you normally do at log piles?

Are any sections of the trail particularly good or bad for running?
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby john_galt » November 23rd, 2012, 11:17 am

That was my first run at RB. It's a GREAT trail to run. My route started at the Lake Valley sub cut-through, ran clockwise down the paved path, then double track, then onto the single track were you can opt-out of the seasonal loop. Ran the reamining singletrack until the exposed drainage pipe at the gravel road, turned left up the steepish hill and back to the paved path.

I passed two other groups who were running with the MTB direction.

Log piles; Jump over the little ones, run around the bigger ones. I know advanced runners who like big log piles.

For me, most of the features of a trail that's good for MTB is good for running.
john_galt

Postby Mack » November 23rd, 2012, 11:19 am

c0nsumer wrote:
john_galt wrote:Ran, didn't ride this morning which was good because it was pretty soggy from last nights rain.

If I may ask, what route did you run / do you normally run? I know the trail is getting an increasing number of trail runners (which I think is great), but I don't understand the typical runner uses / behavior out there.

What do you normally do at log piles?

Are any sections of the trail particularly good or bad for running?

I have seen runners take every feature at CRPT and others go around them. I think it depends on the runner.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby c0nsumer » November 23rd, 2012, 11:35 am

john_galt wrote:That was my first run at RB. It's a GREAT trail to run. My route started at the Lake Valley sub cut-through, ran clockwise down the paved path, then double track, then onto the single track were you can opt-out of the seasonal loop. Ran the reamining singletrack until the exposed drainage pipe at the gravel road, turned left up the steepish hill and back to the paved path.

I passed two other groups who were running with the MTB direction.

Log piles; Jump over the little ones, run around the bigger ones. I know advanced runners who like big log piles.

For me, most of the features of a trail that's good for MTB is good for running.

Thanks; that's good to hear. The single track was designed as MTB trails which flow well in both directions, but they get a bunch of runner use as well (including the local high school Cross Country team; they are the ones who painted the orange arrows), so we try to take other uses into account as well.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby 2slo2endo » November 23rd, 2012, 1:07 pm

Rode riverbends on Thanksgiving morning... FUN! took 2 buddies, one lives close and showed them around. Hope we started a tradition.
2slo2endo

Postby c0nsumer » November 25th, 2012, 1:52 pm

An updated map of River Bends showing the new trail route (and a bunch of other improvements) is available here.

If any of you have comments or feedback on this map, please let me know.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » November 25th, 2012, 5:25 pm

New route at River Bends is now signed. One should be able to just follow the yellow signs from the old end of the single track into the new segment, with that ending back at the trailhead.

Also, when you all are out there riding the new section, if you see any remaining pink flagging tape, please pull it down and carry it out with you. I removed as much as I could this evening, but because of how dense the brush was there it's inevitable that some got missed and possibly ended up laying on the ground.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » November 27th, 2012, 5:53 pm

The Advanced Lines at River Bends are now marked with red signs, and I replaced a couple damaged or missing other signs.

Late this afternoon just before sunset the trail was nicely frozen, although there are still some soft spots along the newest trail. Great conditions for riding, though. Get out there and enjoy it.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby redlynr » November 27th, 2012, 8:14 pm

I hope to get out there this Saturday!

Steve, I rode with you briefly this summer... I noticed you ran SS... Might I inquire as to what gearing you have, or might suggest for riverbends?
redlynr

Postby jalopy jockey » November 27th, 2012, 9:26 pm

redlynr wrote:I hope to get out there this Saturday!

Steve, I rode with you briefly this summer... I noticed you ran SS... Might I inquire as to what gearing you have, or might suggest for riverbends?

RB is mostly flatish with a few steep quickies, no really SS killer climbs. I roll 32:16 on a 29r most everywhere and RB is much easier than most on a SS. Steve likes to spin and runs quite a bit lighter.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby redlynr » November 27th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Thanks for the input... I was going to start at 32:18, and I guess I should have mentioned I'm on 26"...
redlynr

Postby c0nsumer » November 27th, 2012, 11:25 pm

redlynr wrote:I hope to get out there this Saturday!

Hey there. :) I like 34:19, but as Erick says below, I prefer to spin than mash. I'd start lighter like with what you're thinking, then ride common-to-you stuff like River Bends and Stony Creek and see how it feels. If it's too light, go for something else. I've got a 16t cog here that you can have if you want it. It's just a basic one.

For what it's worth, I've done my personal best lap at River Bends at 34:19, and I know I was spinning a lot. I prefer that over pedaling slower with a harder gear. That preference is just one has to work out.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby redlynr » November 28th, 2012, 9:06 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Hey there. :) I like 34:19, but as Erick says below, I prefer to spin than mash. I'd start lighter like with what you're thinking, then ride common-to-you stuff like River Bends and Stony Creek and see how it feels. If it's too light, go for something else. I've got a 16t cog here that you can have if you want it. It's just a basic one.

Thanks for the info...

Hmm. I guess I'll stick with 32:20 for now and feel it out... I have 2 old cassettes here that I broke down for gears and spacers, so I'm good with gears. I think 32:16 would kill me! Thanks for the offer, though!

Sorry I went off topic...

redlynr

Postby redlynr » December 1st, 2012, 3:58 pm

Rode RB today... A bit moist in some spots, had to walk through a few soft spots, the rest was awesome. I loved the new short red leg with the dropoff.

Cheers
redlynr

Postby jer091 » December 5th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Got out and rode today, for the most part River Bends is good to go except for a few greasy spots.

The new trail put in last month should be completely AVOIDED!!! The trail is in terrible condition and is very soft and muddy, almost all of it. Please wait till there is a deep freeze to ride this section again.
jer091

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments