CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby Sortaslow » July 30th, 2014, 2:48 pm

I'll meet you there. So definitely post up if you bail or ditch the effort.

Any other takers? C'mon. We'll just sit around and *beep* while Steve works. It'll be fun. Plus we can criticize the trail design right as he's working instead of three months later
Sortaslow

Postby c0nsumer » July 30th, 2014, 2:50 pm

"Why don't you have the trail go all the way to the bottom of the hill?" questions in 3... 2... 1... ;)

(For those of you that don't know, it's hellacious flood plane down there. We're intentionally keeping this up on the ridge so it'll be year-round ridable.)
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Sortaslow » July 30th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Radar looks ok for this. Even so a tad bit o rain aint nothin'.
Sortaslow

Postby c0nsumer » August 2nd, 2014, 7:49 am

c0nsumer wrote:Anyone want to help rough in some trail at River Bends tonight? I should be out there by 5pm, working in the area around the ITC clearing. I'll have a few spare tools, but you'll want to bring water/food/gloves and any tools that you prefer. I'd really appreciate the help.

Park in the old pig plant lot off the end of Chapoton, behind the apartments. Walk through the plant foundation, along the fence, and cross the train tracks (same as done when riding RB-CRPT). I'll likely be working in the area between the ITC clearing and railroad tracks, just south of the S turn berms. This is where the old multiple-figure-eights from the Seasonal Loops were and where the ITC corridor went through.

Email me at steve@nuxx.net if you'd like more info or to let me know that you are coming.

Here is where you should park for shortest walking: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6319649 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Here is where I'll be working: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6327212 ... a=!3m1!1e3

I'm heading out again today (Saturday), should be there by 10am. Come on out and help rough cut a corridor so we can have it ready for a trail day. Curious how trail like this gets laid out? Want to have input into trail design? Want to get a start with laying out and planning trails? Come on out!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby FLIPMODES » August 2nd, 2014, 7:51 am

If i can get out of work in time I would love to attend.
2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

Postby c0nsumer » August 2nd, 2014, 7:53 am

FLIPMODES wrote:If i can get out of work in time I would love to attend.

Thanks! That'd be excellent. I'll post up here once we're done for the day. I'm hoping that unlike Wednesday we won't get rained on and will be out there for a goodly period of time.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » August 6th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Trail is in good shape. There's a couple grease corners (one caught me) and a few small puddles, but nothing that should keep you from riding. There's signs that someone has been trimming brush and filling low lying holes, so ride over those soft spots to help pack it in.

There is a leaner right after the first log pile and some freshly-leaning trees right after the original bridge (just before the dragstrip) that'll need to get taken out, and a hoppable downed tree on the canal ridge that should go. All can probably he handled with a beefy hand saw, but I didn't stop long to look.

The new section (Lazy River, as coined by Phil / FLIPMODES) is looking good, I'm hoping we can get some folks out there in the next few weeks to get it finished up and all the side trails fully shut down so that section is no longer confusing.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » August 6th, 2014, 5:37 pm

One other thing: if any of you are driving up to the trail soon, would you mind bringing a claw hammer and removing the GotMTB and trail closure signs and nails from the kiosk? I keep forgetting to bring mine to do it myself...

I wouldn't mind if you go them back to me, but if throwing them out is easier that's fine as well.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby FLIPMODES » August 8th, 2014, 2:17 pm

If anybody is interested in helping with more trail work at RB south end, tomorrow a few of us will be out there around 10am until ?? This is an unofficial trail day that has been approved. We will continue to clear and prep the trail for the final stages of Steve's (Lazy river) project. Bring your own tools (rake, loppers, saws, etc.), pants, long sleeve, water and gloves. Just like last Sat, park behind the apt. off of Chapoton and hike in the back way to RB and we will be around the berm section working. Pm me if you need better directions with the parking location. Thx and see y'all there.
2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

Postby MCSmith » August 15th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Trail is in good shape. Few corners are really sandy, deep. "Steep grade loose gravel" has some bad erosion and sand be cautious going down.

No downfall!
2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
2014 Trek Stache 7
MCSmith

Postby c0nsumer » August 17th, 2014, 12:56 pm

I'm heading out to River Bends to continue working the forthcoming Lazy River section. Anyone want to join me? Park at the old slaughterhouse lot off of Chopton, walk in the ITC cut (this is the RB-CRPT route), and follow the fresh cut trail south until you find me. I'll probably be there until a bit after dinner time.

Bring hand tools (rake, flat front shovel, axe, pulaski, loppers, etc), gloves, water, food, and whatever else you like for trail work.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » August 17th, 2014, 7:26 pm

I spent a while rough cutting on the final bit of what will become the Blue Loop. There's a LOT of vines there, but the corridor is established. Yay! I also opened up the beginning of the Lazy River section and re-opened the old path that'll be the entrance to it. It's not ready to ride, but it's passable by bike if you want to check it out.

Here's how:

When heading south on Blue, just before where the railroad crossing access is, veer to the left into a newly cleared section. Continue straight across the ITC cut next to the railroad tracks and straight into newly cut trail. It'll head south for a while, turn right to the north, then you'll pop out near where you started. Make a wide, sweeping turn to the left (there are rake marks there now, I hope it eventually becomes a dirt groove) and enter the S turns. When you exit the S turns, continue left sticking to the left side of the ITC cut and sweep left on to the old single track. Take that south until you hit the ITC corridor again.

At that point you'll eventually wind through the edge of the woods, then do some bermed turns on the downhill in the ITC corridor before heading back up the ridge and riding either the old red line (bench cut down/up along the ridge) or sticking to the top of the ridge. Then you'll hug the left side of the ITC corridor before heading into the brush, sweeping around a little with views of the low laying area that the ITC lines run through, before rejoining the trail where you veered off to the left and returning north.

This will make Blue into a proper lollipop segment instead of the confusing multiple-figure-eights that were there before. It'll also keep all of the trail above the floodplane, making it much better for year-round riding.

I'm also really hoping that we can get more berms built out there, and some tech features, if someone steps up to build them. It's not really my or jer091's kinda thing, so if you'd like something like that and can make it happen, let us know and we'll get you going.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby crappybiker4508 » August 18th, 2014, 8:19 am

The "steep grade loose gravel" section is burly. Other than that the track is pretty nice. I moved some branches that fell over the trail. Also had a deer sniff my front tire near the wavey bridge, pretty amazing.
'01 stumpjumper fsr. Stoney Creek is home turf
crappybiker4508

Postby dinov » August 18th, 2014, 8:46 am

Where is this new section exactly finally found the wave bridge but couldn't find it Saturday is after the ravine crossing?
dinov

Postby c0nsumer » August 18th, 2014, 8:47 am

dinov wrote:Where is this new section exactly finally found the wave bridge but couldn't find it Saturday is after the ravine crossing?

Uhh... What?

If you're asking where the new section is, it's described a few posts up. It's in the far south end of the park along the access corridor that ITC cut earlier this yearh.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments