CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » July 29th, 2011, 11:56 am

Thanks for the photos, that's neat to see. Unfortunately, that's the seasonal loops... :\ That's why it's a separate segment, though.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby jer091 » July 30th, 2011, 8:28 am

Well, good news and bad news for River Bends riders.

first that bad.

The lower sections of the seasonal loops are still under water. most of the moving water has receded, but there is alot of standing water still.

now the good news.

It looks like Twp has finally gotten out and cut up the deadfall that has been out for over a month.

Steve, still no maps tho....
jer091

Postby c0nsumer » July 30th, 2011, 8:57 am

That's excellent! Probably no deadfall at all now I imagine. I think I may head out there this evening / tonight for a ride to see how things are as well.

I'll give them a bit more then check up on the signs...
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Mack » July 31st, 2011, 1:35 pm

Did 3 laps this morning trail is riding fast after the rains we have had. Removed a few dead branches that were on the trail on the 1st lap. 2nd lap all clear rode that one wfo. 3rd lap was going the going great until I came upon this guy walking his Weimaraner and German Short Hair OFF leash. The Weimaraner is agressive and came right at me full speed and barking, not a mean bark but still barking. I had to get hard on the brakes, dismount and put my bike between me and the dog that was still barking. I asked the owner to call his dog and to please leash it. That dog does not obey at ALL. I don't blame the dog for this. The blame falls on the owner, it's not the dogs fault he dosn't listen. I had to stand there with my bike between me and this barking dog til he walked up and put him on a leash. I then very calmly expliained how dangerous it is that he walks his dogs off leash for the them and myself and what can happen. Then I told him about the leash law for Shelby Twp and the park, that they must be leashed and under immediate control. Then he tells me that the law only applies outside the park and he is not going to leash his dogs when walking them in the woods no matter what the law is. I shook my head and said "have a nice day..........................................................................................................................a@@hole".
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby buckeyefan58 » August 1st, 2011, 11:15 am

Then he tells me that the law only applies outside the park and he is not going to leash his dogs when walking them in the woods no matter what the law is.

SMH...this crap ticks me off. I had to stop walking my dog on CRPT because others weren't keeping their dogs on leashes. I had a german shepherd corner me one time and the owner just stood there. I told the owner to restrain his dog and he finally walked up and leashed him.
buckeyefan58

Postby c0nsumer » August 1st, 2011, 11:22 am

buckeyefan58 wrote:
Then he tells me that the law only applies outside the park and he is not going to leash his dogs when walking them in the woods no matter what the law is.

SMH...this crap ticks me off. I had to stop walking my dog on CRPT because others weren't keeping their dogs on leashes. I had a german shepherd corner me one time and the owner just stood there. I told the owner to restrain his dog and he finally walked up and leashed him.

Just be ready to kick the dog in the head, hard. I love dogs, but if I'm actively being bitten my first response is going to be to defend myself.

Back in the 70s a friend of my dad's used to do a lot of back-road riding in rural areas, and after having dogs sic'd on him he started carrying a squirt gun full of ammonia. Supposedly it did a fine job of stopping a dog which was biting at his legs.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Mack » August 1st, 2011, 12:12 pm

I love dogs also. I have had to do the kick to the head while riding the NCT. I was riding down a dirt road to the next section and this dog comes out of this yard running at me. I took one look at it and knew what I was gonna have to do It's was growling, jaws snapping. I have only had to do this twice in over 30 years of riding offroad motorcyles and mtb's and felt terrible afterwards both times because when you do that it does hurt they give out quite a yelp. But both times I felt those dogs were going to bite me. They just get a certain look and sound to them.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » August 2nd, 2011, 11:07 am

Did a few laps this morning trail is clear and riding fast. Seasonal loops still a no go. I didn't see the Ahole with the dogs thank god. I got something for them next time if that situation happens again. Can you say pepper spray. Forgot we had them, used them in the UP we would have run ins with feral dogs. It works, to say the least. I am well with in my rights according to the Sterling Hgts and Shelby Twp police. I would only use it as a last resort though. We have seen what it does, not pretty.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby john_galt » August 2nd, 2011, 4:46 pm

Here's a HUGE thanks to the good semaritan for mailing me my drivers license and credit card! If you're on here...
john_galt

Postby BK big fish » August 4th, 2011, 4:50 am

Rode 22 miles last night, mutiple laps. A few puddles but otherwise trail is in good shape. I am taking a newbie out this weekend, this is his first time on a f/s rig! I am letting hm use my GF supercaliber, but I feel bad, cause its a 26'er.
BK big fish

Postby jcrazyjj » August 5th, 2011, 10:24 am

i was out there last night with a buddy, couple of wet spots otherwise it was sticky fast. good job on the trail guys.
jcrazyjj

Postby pharus » August 8th, 2011, 9:38 am

Blue loop looked really swampy last night, so I aborted and went back to yellow.

After the fork at Yellow to Blue, if you stay on Yellow, there is very soon another fork, and I think the flow is supposed to go left (north?) but it is not clear, and I think if you go right (south?) you would be heading the wrong direction on the tail end of the Blue loop. I think a sign here would help.

Otherwise, the long trail along the ridge heading south is fabulous, I haven't seen another long run like that in any other trails around here.

Finally, is the new section from the parking lot to the old trail head supposed to be one-way? I really like that part, but only get to ride it once each visit.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby c0nsumer » August 8th, 2011, 9:43 am

pharus wrote:Blue loop looked really swampy last night, so I aborted and went back to yellow.

After the fork at Yellow to Blue, if you stay on Yellow, there is very soon another fork, and I think the flow is supposed to go left (north?) but it is not clear, and I think if you go right (south?) you would be heading the wrong direction on the tail end of the Blue loop. I think a sign here would help.

Otherwise, the long trail along the ridge heading south is fabulous, I haven't seen another long run like that in any other trails around here.

Finally, is the new section from the parking lot to the old trail head supposed to be one-way? I really like that part, but only get to ride it once each visit.

There should be signs at this point indicating that the yellow loop continues to the left. If you head the opposite way there are blue WRONG WAY signs on the trees. If you head the correct way (to the left) than there are yellow arrows indicating that you are going the correct way. Next time I'm out there I'll check and see if the signs got removed.

Regarding that entrance trail, yes, that is one way. I imagine that you are doing the original route then following the two track back to the top of the hill then back into the trail? Instead of that head down the two track leading to the kiosk and head back into the entrance trail there. That's what I personally do when riding multiple laps.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Mack » August 10th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Got out this morning to do a few laps, sure was beautiful out there this morning nice and cool no humidity. The first lap was a SLOWWWW one alot of branches down cleared them. This tree is down within 100 yrds of trailhead. I did strighten up the 2 saplings it took down. This one will need to be cut out by parks & rec Steve.

I did manage to drag this one down the hill that was in the switchbacks. Oh ya if anybody sees my right *beep* would you let me know cause it feels like left it there. Besides that the trail is riding great no puddles and really no mud to speak of either.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby c0nsumer » August 10th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Wow, those dropped since yesterday just before dark then. A few of us were out there around dusk and the trail was clear. Thanks for the report. :)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions